Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum
Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black Rum
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-31 5:15 pm   Permalink

I was wondering if anyone has made classic Tiki cocktails such as the Navy Grog, Rum Barrel, etc with Hamilton Jamaican Dark instead of Coruba or Myers? I just got a bottle and haven't cracked it yet.

Mahalo!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-31 8:05 pm   Permalink

I am not a fan, but I hope it works out for you.

I am curious what others think of it. I would like to know what your thoughts are.

[ This Message was edited by: Lunavideogames 2015-07-31 22:35 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-07-31 11:57 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't consider the Hamilton Jamaican to be a substitute for Coruba, or any other dark rum. The flavor profile reminds me of white Agricole; it is very pungent. It makes a great daiquiri, and I'm sure there are a few other uses for it, but I wouldn't put it into most other drinks. I tried it in a mai tai, and it wasn't right, and I believe in a Navy a Grog it would stand out too much and unbalance the drink. You would probably have to rebalance each drink to accommodate this rum, unless you are dealing with simple recipes.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bumboo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-08-01 09:55 am   Permalink

I know it's not for everyone, but this is my go-to dark Jamaican rum. I keep Coruba around and sometimes do a 50/50 split for guests if they don't like the funk. Last year I feared it would be a one-off experiment for Mr. Hamilton, so I began buying up bottles where I could. Apparently bartenders love it and there was a new batch this year, so it looks like it'll stick around. (Try his St. Lucian rum as well-- really excellent.)

The Millionaire cocktail in Ted Haigh's "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" showcases the Hamilton Jamaican really well (used in place of Myers'):

1.5 oz Hamilton Black Jamaican rum
.75 oz Plymouth sloe gin
.75 oz apricot brandy (I use Marie Brizard Apry)
juice of 1 fresh lime (1 to 1.5 oz)
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Enjoy!

View Profile of Bumboo Send a personal message to Bumboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-08-01 12:00 pm   Permalink

Echoing what you're hearing here, the Hamilton Jamaican rums (Black and Gold) are not 1:1 replacements for current Jamaican rums. They're more akin, from what Mr. Hamilton has said, to a 1920s style Jamaican rum. They're very aromatic and flavorful. Rather than think of them as a replacement for Coruba, approach them as their own thing and build a cocktail around them. Or float the Jamaican Black on a cocktail to get some nice color and a pungent nose.

I think it takes well to older Caribbean drinks, like a simple Planter's Punch, Daiquiri, or a Queen's Park Swizzle. A corn 'n oil might be an interesting experiment also.

Somewhat related - if the notes I took are correct (I'm pretty sure they are) the Gold and Black Jamaican rums are differentiated only by the amount of caramel used in coloring the rum.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-01 4:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your replies! I made a round of DTB Navy Grogs last night subbing Hamilton for my usual Coruba, and using ElDo 8 for the Demerara. I loved it! In all fairness though I love funky rums with lots of hogo.

I was thinking about the 1930's & 40's when many classic Tiki cocktails were created, and what Jamaican rums would have been like in that era. It's my understanding that most Jamaicans in those days would have been made in pot stills, and that it wasn't until the 1970's and 80's that column stills (which produce smoother tasting rums) became the standard in Jamaica. So if you drank a DTB Navy Grog in, say, 1948 would the dark rum component have been a funkier rum more in the style of Hamilton as opposed to modern style Coruba or Myers?

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2015-08-01 16:29 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2015-08-04 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-31 23:57, KrakenHunterSteve wrote:
I wouldn't consider the Hamilton Jamaican to be a substitute for Coruba, or any other dark rum. The flavor profile reminds me of white Agricole; it is very pungent. It makes a great daiquiri, and I'm sure there are a few other uses for it, but I wouldn't put it into most other drinks. I tried it in a mai tai, and it wasn't right, and I believe in a Navy a Grog it would stand out too much and unbalance the drink. You would probably have to rebalance each drink to accommodate this rum, unless you are dealing with simple recipes.

Yes, the flavor reminds me of St George Agricole. Does anyone know what this flavor is, or what makes it taste like this?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-05 9:53 pm   Permalink

I've fooled around with Hamilton Jamaican a few more times now, and upon further trial I think that a little of the Hamilton goes a long way. I've made a few Navy Grogs using 3:1 Coruba:Hamilton Jamaican for the dark rum portion, and that seems to be a good ratio for giving a little pot still funkiness to the drink while still providing the smooth, molasses rich dark Jamaican touch that Coruba provides to this drink.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2015-08-05 21:55 ]

HarryAnise

Posted: 2015-08-06 08:52 am   Permalink

I want to understand pot still funkiness, what is it? I have Pussers, but not hamilton. What should I be looking for and finding in a pot still rum? is it amazing awesomeness that hits you in the face, or isit very subtle?

View Profile of HarryAnise Send a personal message to HarryAnise  Email HarryAnise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-27 4:26 pm   Permalink

South Florida tikiphiles...anyone have a source for the Hamilton Pot Still Jamaican rum? I'm running low, and when I went to the one place I know carries it, the price was $34 (vs. $22 at Binny's in Chicago where I last loaded up). I'll pony up the extra 50% if I absolutely had to, but I'd rather have a more cost effective option.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation