[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Beyond Tiki Ľ Ľ Ribbing the new guys
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ribbing the new guys
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 12:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha my Tribe,
Part of the fun of Tiki Central is the gentle ribbing we love to bestow upon the new guy. Judging from the numbers, our zany hijinks are the highlight of many TCers day. Oh sure some times it goes too far, but, who can fault a bunch of loveable lugs like us? However we did send these would be members of the tribe packing.

Zen Tiki
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4829&forum=5&32

Kokomo B&G
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4760&forum=5&14

tropicana
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3942&forum=5

Squaker
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3555&forum=1

Hula Lula
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2751&forum=5
Hula Lula's Alias "Tcresrule"
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3021&forum=1

What a bunch of bitches we are. However here is some info that the new guys don't seem to know.
1.There are over 1200 TC members. in the above cases less than one percent of TC voiced a negative response.
2.Our posts are E-mailed out to many TCers. many of us don't post things like "Cool mug" or "great sign", because of the potential number of Emails this could generate. This has been discussed. My point being is that many of us who would post a favorable response, simply don't.
3. We don't have to like your damn sale!!!
4. Manners are a way to show others we respect them. If you want to post an auction, read the rules. If you don't follow the rules you are as bad as a harvester-bot searching for E-mail addresses to sell Penis enlargement pills.
5. Be angry at those who desrve it, not 1200 people who have nothing to do with it.

The friction created in the above links has led me to post my second top ten list.

The Top Ten New Favorite Insults Posted on the TC Board
NNNUUUMMMBBBEEERRR Ten
10. Dick-End
9. Dolphin Wanker
8. Your third eye was temporarily closed
7. Pig-ignorant
6. "THE JACKASSERY"
5. Atomic boobs why don't you stay in the basement
4. "Puppy Moai Penis Ear Boy" (my personal all time favorite)
3.You guys are more like my keyster.
keis∑ter n. Slang
A. The buttocks.
B. The anus.
2.kiss ass with us fancy tiki types
1.Tiki for some a lifestyle and to others it's obviously a sick compulsive obsession! Get help!

Words to live by
Hanford on what's wrong with you #!@$%!s ?!!?
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4604&forum=1

Hanford on being nice to the new guy
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4251&forum=5&14

Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: alnshely on 2003-08-03 12:50 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 1:49 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikienlarger.com ?

[ This Message was edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-08-02 13:49 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-02 12:57, Alnshely wrote:
The Top Ten New Favorite Insults Posted on the TC Board
NNNUUUMMMBBBEEERRR Ten
10. Dick-End
9. Dolphin Wanker
8. Your third eye was temporarily closed
7. Pig-ignorant
6. "THE JACKASSERY"
5. Atomic boobs why don't you stay in the basement
4. "Puppy Moai Penis Ear Boy" (my personal all time favorite)
3.You guys are more like my keyster.
keis∑ter n. Slang
A. The buttocks.
B. The anus.
2.kiss ass with us fancy tiki types
1.Tiki for some a lifestyle and to others it's obviously a sick compulsive obsession! Get help!

Al, you forgot MY favorite:

Hoity Toity

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-08-02 3:36 pm   Permalink

Zen Tiki was begging to be taunted. He first posted in ALL CAPS (not just the title but the message, too) and I deleted it and asked him to repost and read the house rules.

He then reposted the same auction in lower case, but he didnít read the house rules, as apparently he listed his ebay text verbatim.

I then posted again and told him to read the house rules, and I let him know heís not supposed to post the ebay auction text verbatim. But he didnít change it.

And finally, as some people have pointed out, itís not even an ebay auction, really, because he appears to be using eBay to advertise a service of creating custom signs and to email him for details. I donít think this is even allowed on eBay.

But:

I hate locking topics. I hate topics that become adversarial. And when you post things like ďSPAMĒ to an ebay posting, it causes most topics to turn into wars. What a pain in the ass. It only takes one negitive post to turn a topic into a war.

So, please please PLEASE donít post ďSpamĒ to ebay auction listings. Iíve asked people not to do this before, and people are still doing it. Let me restate to everyone:

1. Ebay auctions of tiki-related products are not spam, whether the person has posted 1000 times, or never.

2. Posting ďSpamĒ in useless to other members: Itís obvious to everyone reading that itís the posterís first message, and that theyíre selling something. Youíre not contributing anything new to the situation, and throwing fuel onto a fire thatís about to start.

3. It clearly states ďeBay:Ē in the subject title now. If you donít want to read auction announcements, then I beg you to just ignore it. If you just want to read auction announcements from long-time members, then look at the posterís name and if you donít recognize it, donít read it.

4. If you feel you must comment on an auction, please keep the comments related to the quality/price/value of the auctionís contents, and please try to comment in a non-rude way. My guess is no one would be bitching if the auction were a steal, so commenting on an auctionís contents is a much more informative way of claiming ďspamĒ, since youíre pointing out to the auctioneer and to less-informed Tiki Central members why the auction isnít a good deal.

For my part, I will look into providing more direct ďread the house rules before postingĒ messages, and Iíll look into making the house rules easier to read (less text, more to the point).

Thanks for reading,

Hanford

PS -- the vast majority of you have been great about it, and I appreciate that! Thanks! But it only takes one negitive post to turn a topic sour!

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-08-02 20:06 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 3:43 pm   Permalink

A wise and just overseer of tikidom, that's our Hanford.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 7:49 pm   Permalink

And Hanford, what about making every new member click an "agree" button after reading the rules and regs. Can't post until you agree.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-08-02 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-02 19:49, jungletrader wrote:
And Hanford, what about making every new member click an "agree" button after reading the rules and regs. Can't post until you agree.

Yeah, that will be part of my effort to make them more visible.

I'm worried though that people will just click the "agree" button without reading, so that's why I want to refine them and make them easier to read.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
limptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 9:39 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry but dick-end should really be in the top 5.

View Profile of limptiki Send a personal message to limptiki  Email limptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-02 10:02 pm   Permalink

Hanford, to be honest I rarely read user agreements. A little common sense goes a long way. Unfortunately without rules and a little courtesy, chaos reigns. Some people just don't get it.

And to quote a now famous line from my friend Hula Hula, "Can't we all just.....get a bong?" I love that line and the cool people here on TC. All the Rudy's can go somewhere else.

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-08-03 08:42 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 08:57 am   Permalink

Hey Al, Thanks for letting me re-live some Great Moments In TC History. That Squawker fellow just cracks me up.... how I miss him!

Classics for sure! More importantly a big Tiki-Thank You (Mahalo, Mahalo) goes to Hanford for all his hard work. It's with this hard work that allows us "lovable lugs" to post such "meaningfull" banter like...
this one (my personal fav)

And Yes, Hoity Toity has to be #1

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 12:06 pm   Permalink

Hi, Al and thanks for all those links, what a search! SCD must be envious of your searching abilities.
But the Hula Lula link is the same as the Squaker link. So here's the correct link, birth place of the infamous "hoity toity" title we love!

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2751&forum=5

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 12:49 pm   Permalink

My Dear Laney,

Thank you for the link correction, but I shall not be envious of incorrectly posted links! Mine are exact and precise! After all...I AM Hoity Toity! <nose turned up in the air>

(for those not reading this post in a comedic fashion...this means I am ONLY KIDDING!...I am still Hoity Toity though.)

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:
And Yes, Hoity Toity has to be #1

....in a manager sort of way, but Dirty South owns the joint.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-08-03 6:36 pm   Permalink

If and when I make somewhat negative posts, keep in mind that a gentleman is never unintentionally rude...

(besides, I'd rather be 'rude' than 'boring')

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-08-03 11:17 pm   Permalink

I can't believe I coined Al's #2 insult! I'm not even sure it was an insult. That was a fine walk down memory lane, Al- thanks.

I, too, support a higher ranking for "dick-end".

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation