FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carving Tips?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Carving Tips?
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-08 06:05 am   Permalink

I want to try and carve a Tiki Pole for my bar. Any tips on Technique, woods etc.

Thanks,
Chris

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-08 11:31 pm   Permalink

I would first start off with a clay model of the design. This is kind of how car design is done. This will help you see how all of the nooks and crannies will run together, how deep to carve, and so forth. This way you won't ruin a piece of wood. You can also sketch it out first, that's what I do sometimes, but the important thing to do is just have fun and relax, after all its a piece of wood. I would stick to softer woods. What kind of tools are you going to use? Maybe try a tiki out of rigid foam, then just paint it.Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-07-08 23:46 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-09 06:47 am   Permalink

<<I would first start off with a clay model of the design.>>

I think I started with mashed potatoes. Then I got a lot of mud and sticks and made a big one in the living room. Err, wait. No, that was the alien landing zone I'm thinking of...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-09 08:00 am   Permalink

Before you start carving tiki, you must pray. Pray to not cut a finger off. Pray that the splinters don't hurt that bad for weeks. Pray that the arthritus won't come till later. Pray that you won't gouge your hand, leg or fore-arm.
Everything should be cool if none of this happens.
Enjoy!!
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mattio
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-09 12:43 pm   Permalink

I went out and bought a set of chisels and a pair of gloves! I only wear one glove so the hand I am holding it with doesn't get splinters in it. I just started out on a small block of wood and now I am working on a small pole!

View Profile of Mattio Send a personal message to Mattio  Goto the website of Mattio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-10 01:51 am   Permalink

I'll add some more to this later but for starters: Never cut towards yourself (your body, hand, leg). It's 8th grade shop advice or general dad advice but it's widely ignored as most any emergency room can tell you. The temptation is to stay in the flow of a cut even though the blade and you are on a collision course. Move. Find a different angle and continue. Get your piece of wood anchored down somehow (Is that Navy slang?). And wear safety googles so you don't waste valuable carving time fishing wood chips out of your eye or eye chips out of your wood.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki By CC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-12 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 08:00, bamboo ben wrote:
Before you start carving tiki, you must pray. Pray to not cut a finger off. Pray that the splinters don't hurt that bad for weeks. Pray that the arthritus won't come till later. Good One BB! Should I send 'em my pic?!? -=CC=- Pray that you won't gouge your hand, leg or fore-arm.
Everything should be cool if none of this happens.
Enjoy!!

View Profile of Tiki By CC Send a personal message to Tiki By CC  Email Tiki By CC Goto the website of Tiki By CC     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-12 12:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: turbogod on 2002-07-12 14:48 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-12 12:05 pm   Permalink

CC got the picture. That looks nasty

KayOleia

Posted: 2002-09-09 6:40 pm   Permalink

A hint I got from CC Rider (California carver), if you use a high speed grinder, make sure the disk stays on. He sent me a pic with his leg gashed open.......while he was in the ER!

View Profile of KayOleia Send a personal message to KayOleia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-09 11:22 pm   Permalink

Try to get V shaped chisles. Helps clean the corners. If you use the chainsaw, don't go to deep. it's easty to take off wood but cannot replace it! Then maybe start chizlin', if you see you need to take off more meat, kick on the chain saw again. Use angles on the saw, not just straight!! if you know what I mean? earplugs, safety glasses and a Brother IZ CD! And the rest of what the guys said! Espcially having an actual piece (tiki) in your hand to see where you need to remove material. Befor I started carving Tiki's I carved tropical flowers and plants. I just started Tiki's a few years ago. Have fun!
-Gecko

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-10 06:03 am   Permalink

Is there any particular wood indeginous to the central part of the country that will not split?
A tree trimmer told me that if you treated the wood properly any wood would do, but he never told me what to treat it with.
Suggestions?

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-09-10 09:18 am   Permalink

My good friend 'Lefty' the one-eyed tiki carver, god rest his soul, always said 'forget about all that safety crap!, all you really need is a 12-pack, a pint of rum, a gallon of gasoline (Witco style) and a big-ass chainsaw, another 12-pack, some more rum, some Vicadin, and a chisal for finish work, to really knock out some fine tiki's'.

Ah, Lefty! Before he lost his right arm and left testicle in a small chainsaw mishap, he was planning to take his tiki business BIG TIME! Then after the little Witco-style gasoline incident things were never the same for my good friend 'Stumpy'.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-10 11:41 am   Permalink

I use an Adz and a 1/4" chissle for large work, and an Exacto knife (#11) for small stuff. I have spent too much on "nice" carving sets, but always go back to the basics. I don't usually plan it out, sometimes I have an vague idea of what I want it to look like, but usually just start carving, and cut away anything that doesn't look like a Tiki. I like to think that the Tiki is already in there, I am just letting it out. Sounds corny, I know, but...

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-10 12:20 pm   Permalink

Tiki King,
Reminds me of an old interview I saw with
Keith Richards. He has the same (it's already there) philosophy about his music. No one ever accused Richards of being corny.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation