FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carving Tips?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Carving Tips?
TikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-12 6:06 pm   Permalink

Keith Richards is corny. There, he's been accused.

View Profile of TikiGuy Send a personal message to TikiGuy  Email TikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-12 10:42 pm   Permalink

I've got a few chisels. I do like using a Dremill Tool. Does the fine detail work and outlines well.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-09-13 01:23 am   Permalink

I like to throw my pet cHiggers at the wood to see what they outline for me, then I take all the credit.

http://www.geocities.com/tikitonynose
(flash player required for this)

"I said tiki, not geeky!"

[ This Message was edited by: tikitony 2005-07-30 10:55 ]

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 09:15 am   Permalink

The "transporatorium" page is just coming through as code. I have Java, Flashe, et al, but can't see what's there.

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
horizon mombo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-02 4:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 12:43, Mattio wrote:
I went out and bought a set of chisels and a pair of gloves! I only wear one glove so the hand I am holding it with doesn't get splinters in it. I just started out on a small block of wood and now I am working on a small pole!

There are some other details,like proper
footwear so as not to lose a toe or foot as
"CC" risks all the time with his chain saw
and bare feet.
Manual cutting is slower but more controllable than is electric or gas.
I prefer electric saw for foam tikis,
and manual tools on wood.
Keep all body parts away from area downrange of the blade(Direction of force).
When, or if a chain saw is used,be prepared always for sht to occur.

View Profile of horizon mombo Send a personal message to horizon mombo  Goto the website of horizon mombo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
horizon mombo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-02 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-12 11:36, Tiki By CC wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-07-09 08:00, bamboo ben wrote:
Before you start carving tiki, you must pray. Pray to not cut a finger off. Pray that the splinters don't hurt that bad for weeks.

Pray that the arthritus

won't come till later.
Good One BB! Should I send 'em my pic?!? -=CC=- Pray that you won't gouge your hand, leg or fore-arm.
Everything should be cool if none of this happens.
Enjoy!!

CC, I told you at the oasis,get some protection on your members!

View Profile of horizon mombo Send a personal message to horizon mombo  Goto the website of horizon mombo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
horizon mombo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-02 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 12:43, Mattio wrote:
I went out and bought a set of chisels and a pair of gloves! I only wear one glove so the hand I am holding it with doesn't get splinters in it. I just started out on a small block of wood and now I am working on a small pole!

There are some other details,like proper
footwear so as not to lose a toe or foot as
"CC" risks all the time with his chain saw
and bare feet.
Manual cutting is slower but more controllable than is electric or gas.
I prefer electric saw for foam tikis,
and manual tools on wood.
Keep all body parts away from area downrange of the blade(Direction of force).
When, or if a chain saw is used,be prepared always for sht to occur.

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 12:35 pm   Permalink

Anybody know where to get a good set of v-shaped wood chisels?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 1:23 pm   Permalink

They have/had some at Home Depot, in the tools section.

Here is my first carving. I think I am pretty done with this one.

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2002-10-03 13:28 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 2:46 pm   Permalink

Try Rockler woodworking supply in Orange. You can try Flexcut chisels. These are american made and good for the price. Other brands of high quality are Two Cherries, Henry Taylor, and Robert Sorby.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-03 3:13 pm   Permalink

Or also try Highland Hardware in Atlanta at:
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/

They sell online, but if you can go to this store, it's amazing!

View Profile of Kentiki Send a personal message to Kentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Caber-Net
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 4:10 pm   Permalink

[Here is my first carving. I think I am pretty done with this one.
[/quote]

www.woodcraft.com for all kinds of carving stuff.

btw turbo, what kind of wood did you end up using? I heard morning wood is not the best.

Mark

View Profile of Caber-Net Send a personal message to Caber-Net  Email Caber-Net     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 6:12 pm   Permalink

Don't know what kind of wood it is. My friend works at a golf course and when the trees get knocked over during the summer storms he gets the grounds guys to give him pretty decent sized logs. Probably elm.

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 7:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the help, I'm going to check out that place in Orange.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stockup

Posted: 2007-04-20 11:49 am   Permalink

I have been trying my hand at tiki carving and made about 5 various ones. I look at some of the ones on this site, and I see my work has a little something left to be desired. I was wondering what type of tools everyone uses to get such smooth finishes on some that I have seen? I generally just used a 14inch chainsaw, but it becomes not useful on a 4foot log or less because of the detail I like. Then out of neccesity I would use flat chisels like you find in a hardware store I had lying around. I just got an arbortech power carving blade for a 4" die grinder. I think I can knock out a lot more big and some smaller areas with it to save time hand chipping away pieces. Any thoughts or tools you all find very helpful? I like the idea about using clay models to start with. I just purchased some the other day. I would love any thoughts on help at all in regards to my took selection. Also anyone have an idea about sealants like Teke oil or a prefered method anyone of you all use to keep them from rottin gif they are meant to be kept outside? I would appreciate any help! Just to show the results I get with a 14inch chainsaw and flat hardware store chisels here is a nearly complete one I just did. (minus sealing it and smoothing it, and burning to make the features stand out.) Also one I finished and burned and sealed in polyurethane. I know though there has to be some easier tools that make the work quick, and more professional.

View Profile of stockup Send a personal message to stockup      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation