FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Treasure Found In Grandma's Attic...
Treasure Found In Grandma's Attic...
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-03 9:26 pm   Permalink

Well, here's my latest, "find." My wonderful fiancee went on her yearly trip to Michigan to spend some quality time with the relatives. Before she left I ask her to look for some "tiki" while she was there. I guess the Tiki Gods were smiling upon me. It just so happens that my fiancee went on a trip to Florida with her grandparents back in 1976 and went to, of all places, Tiki Gardens! Believe it or not, her grandmother still had the wonderful, Green OMC (handled) Tiki Mug that she picked up as a momento of their trip. Little did she know, this "ugly" mug would, someday, become such a sought-after item. Anyway, I've attached, not only, a pic of the Mug, but also a photo of my fiancee and her grandmother taken at the Wonderful Tiki Gardens. Note the bamboo hut and the Tiki Masks!

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 09:44 am   Permalink

Nice mug. Free is always a nice price! Check out how worn that palmwood tiki is in the photo...must have been one of the first at Tiki Gardens.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 2:29 pm   Permalink

I bet that's actually an old Tree-fern tiki in the photo. And I've got one of those mugs! I wonder if mine came from Tiki Gardens originally too, or if other locations sold them.

As a paper collector though, the photo is really the priceless item. Almost impossible to find personal snapshots of old tiki joints. Much better than postcards.

Congratulations on the nice haul from the attic, Vegastikidude!

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 10:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks, BK and Sabu!!! Always a pleasure sharing!!!

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 11:42 pm   Permalink

you lucky little s--t!

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 6:40 pm   Permalink

I have that mug in my collection as well and it was actually the first mug I ever bought. I got it when I was 13 years old and I guess that started it all.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 4:31 pm   Permalink

What a great pic! I need to go through my parents photo albums from our trips to Hawaii in '77 and '79.....I bet there are some goodies hidden in 'em! That tiki does look like fern...this guy was one of my first attempts and turns out is fern as well! Like carving a shredded wheat!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-13 7:48 pm   Permalink

Hey! Nice shot!

Anychance there are more where that came from? I'm in the middle of redoing the Tiki Gardens Memorial Website. I'd be very interested in seeing any other shots that they might have.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-14 3:30 pm   Permalink

I can't see the photo of the mug! What a shame.. it sounds amazing! I hope the photo works again soon!

The photo of them at Tiki Gardens is PRICELESS, however. Beautiful! Congrats on your find!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation