FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-27 4:08 pm   Permalink

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it could be true:

There are some interesting theories circulating on Twitter… MousePlanet as found that Disneyland has filed a permit for “Open flames and torches" at the Tahitian Terrace. Hopefully, this means that something Polynesian will be heading to the space soon. My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

https://twitter.com/MousePlanet/status/637020773383671808

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-27 4:22 pm   Permalink

Just spitballing, here...

Another theory for the Tahitian Terrace: It’s a Disneyland version of WDW’s forthcoming Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-27 4:48 pm   Permalink

I would love to see something fun return to the old Tahitian Terrace space in DL, but am not getting hopes up. I love the idea of what they're putting in next to WDW's Jungle Cruise and would welcome that in DL. Esp if there was a back deck overlooking the Jungle Cruise river that we could sit on while sipping drinks.

Cheers!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Comicbookhero
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-08-28 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-27 16:08, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

You are definitely not alone with that theory. It would make a lot of logical sense to reopen the Tahitian Terrace for the reasons you state and due to the huge success of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in Florida. The fervor for that place has not gone unnoticed.

View Profile of Comicbookhero Send a personal message to Comicbookhero      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-28 1:46 pm   Permalink

Don't forget that Disney is releasing their animated film Moana in the near future. They love theme park movie tie-ins.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-29 08:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-28 06:31, Comicbookhero wrote:
Quote:

My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

You are definitely not alone with that theory. It would make a lot of logical sense to reopen the Tahitian Terrace for the reasons you state and due to the huge success of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in Florida. The fervor for that place has not gone unnoticed.

Excellent to hear. Who else is talking about it? Trader Sam's at DLH leads to TS at WDW, which leads to Tahitian Terrace back in Disneyland. It would make sense.

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-29 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-28 13:46, PremEx wrote:
Don't forget that Disney is releasing their animated film Moana in the near future. They love theme park movie tie-ins.

As much as I dislike synergy, it would be nice to get Moana in THIS spot, as it would leave the Enchanted Tiki Room alone. Good thinking.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-08-29 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-29 08:54, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
As much as I dislike synergy, it would be nice to get Moana in THIS spot, as it would leave the Enchanted Tiki Room alone. Good thinking.

Is the Tiki Room "holy land" at Disney? In the past, it wasn't, and we got the "Under New Management" show which proved well-intentioned but misguided and annoying. I get the impression that imagineers don't want to relive that again with a crappy Tiki Room "update." So I'm hopeful that the Terrace stands a pretty good chance of coming back with a Moana tie-in. We need Moana to be a successful film with a good story. That would help ensure lots more Polynesian and tiki stuff shows up in the parks.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-29 6:24 pm   Permalink

Ace, that's a prime example of the difference between Disneyland and Walt Disney World - in Disneyland, Enchanted Tiki Room IS sacred grounds. It was Walt's pet, the first for audio animatronics. WDW allows itself to change more, whereas Disneyland tends to hold onto certain things with history. Still, you never know, as It's A Small World has been bastardized.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-29 8:53 pm   Permalink

Considering that WDW corrected their mistake and restored to Tiki Room to it's original glory, I'd say that WDW is getting back on the right track for some things.

That said, I'd still worry about Moana being another "Frozen" and causing them to alter things. I wouldn't put it past Disneyland, either, if Moana is incredibly popular.

Still, as for the Tahitian Terrace, it's certainly something to watch... if they can get it to open before Moana comes out (A year and a few months?) from now, perhaps it, too, will be safe.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-08-30 12:06 pm   Permalink

Let's say Disney has one big hit every two years, and for each big hit, they build an attraction. How long will it be before they realize that they can't sustain this sort of activity, and realize that other parks are building bigger and better whiz-bang things than they are? Or, that they can't build attractions fast enough to outpace the dissipation of interest ahead of the arrival of the next "big" movie? Or that they have had sucky success with updating some classics, like the Tiki Room update in Orlando, and the distraction of Johnny Depp's character in Pirates?

I know, I know, they're building Star Wars Land, and Avatar Land, and Disney Springs. But still, when will the promotion of movies get to a point where everyone sees it for what it is - shameless attempts to vacuum more money out of our pockets as opposed to the higher-level entertainment approaches other Disney teams have taken?

Sorry, just realized this is off-topic. Can't get my delete button to work... heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-30 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Quote:

A Moana tie-in would be welcome here, but the movie doesn't open until November 2016. Seems a bit early for that unless the space is getting a significant overhaul.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-30 12:25 pm   Permalink

I think a "Moana" tie in at TT would be awesome as well. They already have a "Moana" titled gift shop at The Polynesian Resort-WDW after the recent renovation. There was nothing in the park after the initial success of "Frozen" (and they've been trying to play catch up ever since), so maybe they've learned their lesson and are trying to have something in place before the "Moana" release.

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-31 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-30 12:08, finky099 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

A Moana tie-in would be welcome here, but the movie doesn't open until November 2016. Seems a bit early for that unless the space is getting a significant overhaul.

True, it is a bit early. Still, the opened Sleeping Beauty Castle in 1955 and that film didn't come out until 1959.

Comicbookhero
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-09-01 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-29 08:53, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-08-28 06:31, Comicbookhero wrote:
Quote:

Excellent to hear. Who else is talking about it? Trader Sam's at DLH leads to TS at WDW, which leads to Tahitian Terrace back in Disneyland. It would make sense.

A lot of Disney podcasters and message boards have thrown out the theory that the Tahitian Terrace party was a back door survey of interest. There has been rumblings for years of ways to spruce up Adventureland in both DLR and WDW. This would definitely accomplish that.

View Profile of Comicbookhero Send a personal message to Comicbookhero      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation