FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-01 11:00 am   Permalink

I'm surprised that you guys aren't mentioning that a number of Disney artists and imagineers are fans of tiki, jungle, tropical, and other retro stuff. I would imagine that this would have been noticed from content in some of their interviews and projects. Or am I the only one picking this up? I see Kevin Kidney in Fort Lauderdale every couple of years or so at the Hukilau, and I had dinner with an imagineer a couple years ago, and the love for these genres runs deep at many (but not all) levels.

So my point is that there is some support behind-the-scenes do bring back Tahitian Terrace and things like it, but the right "motivator" in the form of marketing reasons and permissions aren't always present.

My fingers are crossed, as I'm sure yours are too.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-01 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-01 09:55, Comicbookhero wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-08-29 08:53, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-08-28 06:31, Comicbookhero wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-08-27 16:08, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

You are definitely not alone with that theory. It would make a lot of logical sense to reopen the Tahitian Terrace for the reasons you state and due to the huge success of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in Florida. The fervor for that place has not gone unnoticed.

Excellent to hear. Who else is talking about it? Trader Sam's at DLH leads to TS at WDW, which leads to Tahitian Terrace back in Disneyland. It would make sense.

A lot of Disney podcasters and message boards have thrown out the theory that the Tahitian Terrace party was a back door survey of interest. There has been rumblings for years of ways to spruce up Adventureland in both DLR and WDW. This would definitely accomplish that.

Good to know. I don't listen to many podcasts, but I'm glad the idea is out there.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-09 2:26 pm   Permalink

Subject brought up again on MiceAge/Micechat

MiceChat: Disneyland Resort Update Jan 8 2018

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-09 5:46 pm   Permalink

That would be great! I took a couple of dates there, it was always a good time. Let’s see, if it does come back, if the experience will again include the free shell necklaces with the meal. I still have one or two of those.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-01-13 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-09 14:26, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Subject brought up again on MiceAge/Micechat

MiceChat: Disneyland Resort Update Jan 8 2018

Here’s the pertinent information from that article by Dusty Sage:

Tahitian Terrace Return?

Disneyland has filed permits to work on Aladdin’s Oasis. As we’ve covered in numerous MiceAge Rumor Updates, Disney has toyed with the idea of returning the Tahitian Terrace to its rightful spot in Adventureland. The permit calls for the expansion of a deck, removal of an exterior wall, and restroom renovations. Construction could begin as soon as this month. Could this be the project we’ve all been waiting for? We’ll be watching with baited breath. Nothing would make us happier.

Tahitian Terrace opened in 1962 and was always busy. I vividly remember the fire dancer and hula girls. It was dinner and a show at Disneyland. Magical. In 1993, the venue was rethemed to Aladdin with a similar idea, it would still be dinner and a show. But the concept flopped with guests. Rather than revert it back to its Polynesian glory, the venue has been only sporadically used as a storytelling spot, character meet and greet location, and recently as a distribution spot for Fantasmic box lunches.

Disney has been testing your interest in all things tiki and what you’d be willing to pay. Special tiki-themed events at the Disneyland Hotel and the tremendous success of Trader Sam’s all bode well for the return of the Tahitian Terrace...or something inspired by it.

I too would love the return of the Tahitian Terrace, but realistically the best we might get is something involving Moana, since it seems everything the company does today must be self-referential and include existing intellectual property.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-13 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-13 12:05, Hamo wrote:
...the best we might get is something involving Moana, since it seems everything the company does today must be self-referential and include existing intellectual property.

Excellent point! Can we not have a "pure" and "non-commercial" tropical/tiki experience which is memorable simply because it is done well? That's how the Tahitian Terrace was originally. I certainly hope so. We will have to wait and see.

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-13 6:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-13 12:10, AceExplorer wrote:
Excellent point! Can we not have a "pure" and "non-commercial" tropical/tiki experience which is memorable simply because it is done well?

Not anymore we can't! We'll be lucky if they don't team up with Geeki Tiki to make it something Star Wars-related. It's the Anything-But-Disney Decade!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-19 6:33 pm   Permalink

I would love to see either a return of the TT or a port of the Skipper Cantina from WDW. Whatever they do in that space, I hope it brings some life and fun back to that corner pocket of Adventureland.
Cheers!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-22 6:21 pm   Permalink

"Sort of."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/the-tropical-hideaway-discovered-in-adventureland-at-disneyland-park/

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-22 9:26 pm   Permalink

Another. This one in the OC Register.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/22/disneyland-converting-the-closed-aladdins-oasis-into-a-new-adventureland-restaurant/

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-23 4:46 pm   Permalink

It's the one change to Disneyland going on right now that I'm NOT reacting to with a sense of impending dread! Wow!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-02-24 10:16 pm   Permalink

I dunno. There’s not much detail to that description, and to me that concept drawing looks neither particularly tropical nor hidden away....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-16 09:55 am   Permalink

From a post on other social media. Seen at Disneyland 5/16/2018 in Adventureland.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-16 10:26 am   Permalink

Good find, thanks. I did a quick Google search and found a single concept art pic, see below. Details are very vague at this point. One article went so far as to confirm that it would not be serving any alcohol. No real references to tiki at this point, just "tropical." Will have to keep an eye open as more details come out. I like the idea of a place to chill and get away from the hustle and bustle, but wonder to what extent they will actually be able to achieve this? My idea would be to have recliners with tropical cocktails and foot massages, lol...

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-17 11:35 am   Permalink

An update on the Tropical Hideaway from the MiceChat web page with lots of photos...

Micechat: Tropical Hideaway on the Way

"Walls went up around Aladdin’s Oasis in Disneyand’s Adventureland this week. It will soon become the Tropical Hideaway, a refreshment area which will likely serve Dole Whip, skewers, and other refreshments. It’s all part of the larger plan to make Disneyland’s walkways more . . . well . . . walkable."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation