FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-28 2:33 pm   Permalink

Orange County Register article

Disneyland's Newest Eatery

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-29 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-08-28 13:38, AceExplorer wrote:
Good update, thank you. I have heard that the park is always super busy, so they need to add food service capacity. This is a good way to do it. Even though it's not tiki per se, I know the Imagineers have a fondness for tiki. They may have concluded that this Adventureland location (despite being next to the tiki room) worked better as a non-tiki venue because it's directly adjacent to Jungle Cruise. The tiki room is at the very entrance, sort of off on its own.

Just guesses. Random musings from a sober mind...

It's not NOT Tiki... The Adventureland aesthetic is already a mix of things (much like Tiki itself is), but it does have an overall more Tiki feel to it than the Adventurelands in Walt Disney World, Tokyo, or Paris. It was more pronounced during the Tahitian Terrace days, but there is a fair continuity between the Enchanted Tiki Room at the gate through the Jungle Cruise queue and dock area (with the floating house and catamaran). This has only been accented by Trader Sam's using Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise specifically for its template. Tropical Hideaway will probably have all the stuff we'd typically associate with Tiki... Thatched roofs, torches, Tiki statues, animatronic birds, tapa patterns, Chinese food, and that sort of thing.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-08-29 09:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-08-29 08:09, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Tropical Hideaway will probably have all the stuff we'd typically associate with Tiki... Thatched roofs, torches, Tiki statues, animatronic birds, tapa patterns, Chinese food, and that sort of thing.

That's better news then. I was under the impression it was ultra-lite in tiki, really just an incarnation of "jungle" or "jungle tiki" if those are the right terms. I'm looking forward to seeing photos when its done.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-08-29 12:19 pm   Permalink

Yes, my comment was meant more towards the "it won't be a bar" part of "not a tiki bar" than "it won't be tiki". I'm sure it will keep at least somewhat close to the feel of that area which, as mentioned, already has a tiki feel to it.

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-04 2:26 pm   Permalink

From Miceage.com

"Here are some ....random decorations from the area."

[ This Message was edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2018-09-04 14:34 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-02 3:10 pm   Permalink

Concept art has been added to the construction wall.

rum on the rideau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-10-04 12:43 pm   Permalink

Here's what you see looking over the fence from the stairway at marketplace as of Tuesday.

View Profile of rum on the rideau Send a personal message to rum on the rideau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-04 4:55 pm   Permalink

This may explain why Oceanic Arts has been exceptionally busy lately.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 2:34 pm   Permalink

According to Micechat.com, "... about ready to open is the Tropical Hideaway in Disneyland, which will very likely open next week. Training is set to begin on the 15th and we’ll see the facility open not long after that. The tiki lamps and decorative fixtures have been lit."

MiceChat: Holiday Surprises

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 5:22 pm   Permalink

There's a good photo in the article looking down the main entry. If that isn't Tiki then I'm not sure I know what Tiki is anymore.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 08:39 am   Permalink

My stance is that since adventureland was created in 1955, right in the middle of what now call the “ tiki culture” era, with decorations and tikis from OA, then it iS tiki and i would say tiki to the hilt. We have to remember that labeling things was all done retroactively, by later tiki authors in the 90s.
Back then, it all fell under much vaguer definitions like polynesian, exotic or jungle.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:08 am   Permalink

Disney Parks Blog - article with photos

Disney Parks Blog: First Look: The Tropical Hideaway at Disneyland Park

Newspaper article

Press Telegram: Here’s what Disneyland’s new Tropical Hideaway in Adventureland looks like

[ This Message was edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2018-12-11 12:57 ]

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 1:13 pm   Permalink

Finally - chairs to sit on in Adventureland.

Who cares if it's "Tiki"? This was Walt's backyard; let's see YOUR backyard.

It's gonna be REALLY busy.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 9:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for those links, Bushwich. I haven't been following this project recently, so I didn't realize that there's going to be an Audio-Animatronic tiki bird in the space, too.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/10/rosita-flying-into-the-tropical-hideaway-in-disneyland-park/

"Rosita is a friendly cockatoo that looks forward to meeting travelers from around the globe who are also visiting The Tropical Hideaway. Pull up a nearby seat and say hello! But beware… she has a repertoire of jokes and one-liners that would make any Jungle Cruise Skipper proud!"

I just hope it isn't too annoying or tacky....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 10:51 pm   Permalink

From the Disneyland Resort Ambassadors

"Here’s a first look at Rosita in action! Soon you’ll be able to see her and enjoy an exotic new marketplace, Tropical Hideaway, in Adventureland!"

Instagram: Disneyland Ambassadors- Rosita in action!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation