FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events 11/7 Roadtrip To The Yachtsman in Philly (It was great!)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
11/7 Roadtrip To The Yachtsman in Philly (It was great!)
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-11 1:23 pm   Permalink

Tiki Pilgrimage to Philly

Update: Date now set for Saturday, November 7
I'm gathering interest in a day trip (or Weekender) centered around a visit to "The Yachtsman," Philly's own (and only) Tiki Bar. A number of us from the DC/Baltimore area have made scouting trips to check out the vibe and the drinks, and I'm happy to report back that it is the real deal. Great drinks, both classics and some of their own originals, and great decor. Well worth the trip.

So it's time to start herding cats and see who is interested. After I get a rough, but committed number, I'll contact Yachtsman to work out something special. Thanks to our previous visits, the General Manager has offered to crank up the Aloha for our group. I'm sure whatever he comes up with will not disappoint.

The Small Print
Date is now set for Saturday, November 7

DC to Philly can be done, without speeding tickets, in a little over 2 hours. About the same time to make it in from NYC. So if you pace yourself, it is doable as a day trip, or as an overnighter. We're shooting for a mid-afternoon stop at the Yachtsman, followed by picking a spot for dinner afterwards. (place TBD) Personally, I'm opting for the "double cheesesteak tour" - you arrive in time for a cheesesteak lunch, go to the Yachtsman for drinks, followed by a cheesesteak dinner.

Very near to the Yachtsman is a new rum distillery which opens up the possibility to adding a distillery tour to the fun.

Everyone will be responsible for their own transportation, but we will pick a time to meet up at the Yachtsman.
Kalaka (carpooling) is encouraged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1-2iXQTmU8
Bus and train is possible for those so inclined.

To be very safe, if you'd like to add overnight accommodations, please contact me for some tips for an affordable hotel option. If you play your coconuts right, you should be able to get a decent room for under $100 nearby at a national brand hotel.

We'll green light this if we have at least 6 to 8 people going, and it would be great to meet up with any local Tikiphiles in the the area to add to the Ohana.
Update: Our current estimated number is around 12 so far, with another few expected to come on board.

The Mai Tai is in your court...

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-30 11:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-11-03 09:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-11-12 08:04 ]

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-11 5:49 pm   Permalink

I'll go, but you got to come and get me.......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-11 7:43 pm   Permalink

I am interested, plus Mr. Tikigoddess also.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-11 10:07 pm   Permalink

I will make it out if I can.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-14 07:50 am   Permalink

So far, and the invite has only been out a few days, we've got 6+ from MD/DC/VA interested and a few more from the Philly area.
No one else has offered up dates, perhaps offering a couple of date choices will help.

Looking at the calendar, Oct 10 is during a holiday weekend (for some) and October 31 is Halloween (no good).

How is October 17th or October 24th? I could either, but the 24th is just a bit better for us.

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-14 07:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-14 08:35 ]

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-14 5:54 pm   Permalink

24th is fine with me.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-15 06:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for the date info. Waiting for more feedback, hardest part of meet ups is settling on a date - the cat herding part of it all.

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-20 09:18 am   Permalink

October seems to be slipping away from us. Several interested folks down our way are suggesting either Nov 7 or Nov 14 (both are Saturdays).

Any feedback for one of these Saturdays?

TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-20 6:30 pm   Permalink

7th is best for me. Thank you for setting this event up!

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-24 08:43 am   Permalink

Update: Date now set for Saturday, November 7

For those who have not been to the Yachtsman yet, the main room seats (chairs for) about 21 (12 at the bar, the rest around the main room).
PLUS they have a small back room that does another 6 to 8. Because we're planning to have a mix of people coming for a day trip and some staying overnight, we've picked meeting up at the Yachtsman in the afternoon. Even at mid-afternoon, this will probably give us the run of the place, especially if I am able to pre-arrange our coming with the Yachtsman. (Though the more IS the merrier, and there are no caps on our numbers, I doubt that we'll be pushing up to their capacity)

Plan Update:

Just a short walk from The Yachtsman is La Colombe which is now distilling their own rum.
As soon as we know the final numbers and the date, we'll book a tour of their operation.

If all goes well, we'll be spending the afternoon between La Colombe and the Yachtsman. For those interested in going to dinner, picking an interesting spot afterwards. There are great choices nearby or a short drive away.

For the ambitious and Philly Cheesesteak lovers, a few of us are planning to stop at Dalessandros (
http://www.dalessandros.com ) before we go to La Colombe / Yachtsman.

More details to come as our numbers firm up. The Yachtsman's GM has offered to do us up royal when we know how many and when.

If anyone would like to know more about hotel options, please PM me, or email me.

Mahalo,
Dr. Coruba

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-09-30 11:42 ]

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-30 11:51 am   Permalink

Date is now settled on November 7th.

I wish there were a perfect date that everyone interested could make, but no matter what date was picked, there were some could not make that date. November 7th proved to have the least number of conflicts.

Based on the responses so far, I'd say were looking at about 12-14 people with a few more possibly coming on line in the next few days. Given the size of the place, this is a nice size, with room for more if we have a few stragglers.

exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-30 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-30 11:51, Dr. Coruba wrote:
Date is now settled on November 7th.

I have friends that do the tours at both the new liberty distillery as well as yards brewery which are both in the neighborhood.

[ This Message was edited by: exquisitecorpse 2015-09-30 15:48 ]

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-02 05:39 am   Permalink

I will be attending this event w/ Mr. Tikigoddess. What time do we meet? I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive. Again, thank you for setting this up.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-02 06:01 am   Permalink

On 2015-10-02 05:39, TikiGoddess wrote:
I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive.

I can guess what you'll be doing to pass the time. Arriving "early" would be like, 10am?

Have fun!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-02 06:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-02 05:39, TikiGoddess wrote:
I will be attending this event w/ Mr. Tikigoddess. What time do we meet? I guess I will just wait at the yachtsman for the group to arrive. Again, thank you for setting this up.

My pleasure. It's great to have an excuse to bring people out to support a (relatively) new Tiki bar.

Things are still loose while I give it until next Saturday to guesstimate the likely number of attendees. (Right now, I'd guess about 12-16, but more seem to be coming on line)

If there is enough interest, we plan to do a distillery tour before meeting up at the Yachtsman. Originally, I thought of La Colombe, and that still might be it, but ExquisiteCorpse has put on the table the possibility of one or two other neighborhood spots. IF we do that, meet up might be 1-1:30 at the distillery/brewery.

Meet up time at Yachtsman is currently planned for 3 pm.
We have people coming in from MA, NY, NJ, PA, MD and DC, 3 pm is to give ample time for people to get in to town, and to grab lunch before rumming it up. Mid-afternoon was also chosen because we have a mix of people doing this as a day trip and some doing an overnighter. It also should be a time when Yachtsman isn't very busy so we'll just about have run of the place.

Some of us plan to pick a spot for a post-Yachtsman nosh, and depending on how many overnighters there are, there is some evening partying opportunities that bubble up too.

Look for a firmed up schedule posted here around October 15th.

For those on TC who are planning to go, please personal message me your email address, it will make contacting attendees easier as we get closer to November 7th. Or you can email me directly at: Dr.Coruba(at)outlook.com

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-10-02 06:57 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation