FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Resources for creating my custom menu?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Resources for creating my custom menu?
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-03 06:41 am   Permalink

That came out great stevekh!

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-18 1:23 pm   Permalink

Trying to work on my home bar menu, and was wondering if there were resources for old-timey drink illustrations. Any leads?

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-19 1:22 pm   Permalink

i've been using this site a couple years, along with some books i have with vintage menu designs in them - this is a great reference site - new york public library has been digitizing and putting together a database for a while now

http://menus.nypl.org/menus

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-19 6:32 pm   Permalink

seeing this post pop up made me bust out the files i've been working on for the menu cover of my home bar (hopefully breaking ground in the next month) and work on it some - here it is - let me know what you guys think

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-20 09:11 am   Permalink

Looking good, Steve! I like the color choice and "Air Conditioned" is a nice, vintage touch!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-20 09:48 am   Permalink

Yes, love the "air conditioned" LOL

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-20 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-20 09:48, MadDogMike wrote:
Yes, love the "air conditioned" LOL

thanks - going to be adding some more verbiage - i just need to go through my old menu books to see what else i want to add to make it more "authentic"

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-20 5:58 pm   Permalink

I think another nice vintage touch is the phone exchance prefix names - FLanders2-0000

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-25 06:00 am   Permalink

Book: "Menu Design in America" covering 1850-1985

Publishing house "Taschen" started a clearance sale today for demos and slightly damaged books. They are clearing out "Menu Design in America" which covers 1850-1985. Of the 12 sample pics they show on their web site, they definitely include material from Las Vegas, and some of it is tropical-themed with flamingos. My guess is that there must be some more tropical / tiki in this book, so this is a heads-up if you're interested in menu graphic design in general. Pic of the book cover and the sale advert is provided below.

Cost is $25 instead of $59.99 for the brand-spanking-new book -- I'm buying a copy. Shipping is free for orders of $100+. They have lots of other very interesting books for sale as well. The sale runs from Jan 25 - Jan 28, 2018 and is 30% - 70% off normal prices. These are the fine folks who previously printed and published The Book of Tiki.

Go to
http://www.taschen.com and click on the "sale" banner at the top.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-25 08:19 am   Permalink

that is a GREAT book - have had it for a few years now
Quote:

On 2018-01-25 06:00, AceExplorer wrote:
Book: "Menu Design in America" covering 1850-1985

Publishing house "Taschen" started a clearance sale today for demos and slightly damaged books. They are clearing out "Menu Design in America" which covers 1850-1985. Of the 12 sample pics they show on their web site, they definitely include material from Las Vegas, and some of it is tropical-themed with flamingos. My guess is that there must be some more tropical / tiki in this book, so this is a heads-up if you're interested in menu graphic design in general. Pic of the book cover and the sale advert is provided below.

Cost is $25 instead of $59.99 for the brand-spanking-new book -- I'm buying a copy. Shipping is free for orders of $100+. They have lots of other very interesting books for sale as well. The sale runs from Jan 25 - Jan 28, 2018 and is 30% - 70% off normal prices. These are the fine folks who previously printed and published The Book of Tiki.

Go to http://www.taschen.com and click on the "sale" banner at the top.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-25 09:35 am   Permalink

stevekh, good to hear that! Do you know how much tiki and poly-pop content it has? Just wanted to know that for benefit of others here who may want to pick up a copy at the discounted price. Now is the time to do so - I'm guessing it is going to be out of print from now on. That's one of the reasons I bought a copy.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-25 11:28 am   Permalink

We recently did our home bar menu as well & we used a lot of scans of vintage & a few modern menus & some images found online, which were then modified to get to where we landed. It took a lot of research, as I wanted an image for each drink that made sense & had the right look & feel.

We have a page that is primarily tiki drinks & then a page of classics & bowls.
& for the holidays I had a menu insert made up with seasonal drinks in the same vein with images for each drink

Here's a look at the first page with the tiki drinks:

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-25 12:06 pm   Permalink

Wow, very nicely done! It evokes the look and feel of places we've been to.

HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-25 3:17 pm   Permalink

That is a fantastic menu!

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-25 5:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-25 11:28, croe67 wrote:
We recently did our home bar menu as well & we used a lot of scans of vintage & a few modern menus & some images found online, which were then modified to get to where we landed. It took a lot of research, as I wanted an image for each drink that made sense & had the right look & feel.

Any chance you saved those separate drink images (and are willing to share them)?

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation