FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Islander, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Islander, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 6:18 pm   Permalink

Name:The Islander
Type:restaurant
Street:6623 Pacific Ave
City:Stockton
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This was, at one time, the place to be in Stockton. If you had to be in Stockton in the first place. The Islander boasts some of the coolest and most collectable mugs around.
I've often wondered if Chris Isaak ever went into the Islander, seeing how he was raised in Stockton and went to college at the University of the Pacific. He would have been around there before the Islander was torn down.
I'd love to hear from anyone that has been to the Islander and has memories of the place since I never got to see it. Leroy from OA told me that the reason that the Islander was eventually torn down was because the asian owner, who had a severe gambling problem, lost it in a majaan game. Ain't that something?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 9:44 pm   Permalink

luckydesigns:

the stockton islander was one happening place back in the 60's. it was closed in the late 70's (i believe) and remained on pacific avenue for a few years. it did in fact close due to tommy lee's gambling problems. he recently passed away two years ago...still living in stockton.

the building of the islander still exists though. it was moved in the 1980's to the frontage road of highway 99...slightly north of stockton. it is now known as "pollardville - the chicken kitchen". i went to the restaurant just to check out the inside and see if any tiki reminants were still intact. the bar is still there, although used for single diners. across from this area was the most exciting find, a tiki pole--which must be an architectual staple for the place to stay up! it is intact...and quite "out of place" due the horrible kitchy western decor. (there is a covered wagon you can eat inside of in this restaurant!) (NOT KIDDING)

even though it is disheartening passing by the old islander due to the pollardville mess it assumed, it still is neat to see the old building and the polynesian architecture. i myself never went to the islander for i was not born in stockton, but it has been my fascination for five years now. the mugs are still surfacing around here and are becoming quite valuable.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-12 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-11 21:44, tikicleen wrote:the bar is still there, although used for single diners.

Before anyone gets too excited, the bar itself is much older than the Islander was. I think it was moved to the Islander from a turn-of-the-century era bar, so it's Victorian in style, not Polynesian.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 08:36 am   Permalink

Chicken Kitchen to close!

I heard from my mom this morning (who lives in Stockton) that the Pollardville Chicken Kitchen (which inhabits the old Islander building that was moved to its current site) will be closing in 2007. I know the building itself is tiki, and I heard rumors that there might be a tiki or two inside (although I have been there twice and never seen one). How can we find out what the plans are for the building?

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 09:10 am   Permalink

Just happened upon this picture from Getty Images (a stock photography library), thought you all might enjoy:

The caption reads:
75-year old woman sipping 'Husband Killer' at new Exotic South Sea island-type restaurant called `The Islander'.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 10:49 am   Permalink

That's a great picture. Lots of intrigue. Now that he's dead it's time for a tiki drink.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 11:22 am   Permalink

this is a great photo! however, this was taken at the L.A. Islander, which was on la cienga blvd.

those spurlin mugs are zazz!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 2:31 pm   Permalink

"75-year old woman sipping 'Husband Killer' at new Exotic South Sea island-type restaurant called `The Islander'."

It does look like she's up to something! Again too, I'd say. Yep, she's done this before, and it keeps getting easier. Notice the cool reflection, the ease at which she contemplates the deed, already done or forthcoming. She's downed a lot of cocktails too, look how she deftly suspends that pinky. Those mugs are big beasts and she handles it like a pro. I bet those life insurance premiums were up to date.

Yeah Cleen, it's a Stella Bodey piece. Her work for Spurlin Ceramics is top drawer stuff. Hard to get, but if know what to look for, they're still hard to get. Stockton's Islander had the best selection of mugs on the West Coast, but LA's Islander did have some fine Spurlin oferings.

Honestly, this picture deserves its own topic in another forum. Photographs of patrons during that period enjoying a cocktail in an actual Tiki mug are so very rare. Not many "in situ" shots of original tiki mugs. Plus, she's hot.

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mochaloca

Posted: 2008-10-23 8:16 pm   Permalink

Only one year late, but I spent grades 2-7 in Stockton in the 60's. The Islander was my favorite place to eat. I can remember going there for my birthday when I was about 11. My favorite thing to order was "chicken in foil." Yummy!

[ This Message was edited by: mochaloca 2008-10-23 20:17 ]

View Profile of mochaloca Send a personal message to mochaloca      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-03 12:23 pm   Permalink

I drove by The Islander over Labor Day-it's closed and it looks like it might be slated for demolition. I wanna go back down there to get some pictures before it's gone. You can still see the general shape of the building and it still has a tiki aura about it. Bummer that we can't reopen it in it's former tiki splendor!

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 12:48 pm   Permalink

I thought this post needed a couple of images so here we are. What it once was and what it became. Any updates on the building?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-15 6:51 pm   Permalink

Easily one of the coolest Tiki signs of all times....

MCM and Tiki...perfect !

Zoom all the way in to see the building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=10464+N+Highway+99+Stockton,+CA+95212&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,30764219126841080&ei=5tOYSbizGZmMsQPu5ImIAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-02-15 19:22 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 10:40 pm   Permalink

I was there this morning treasure hunting, I posted the brief story and pics on this General Tiki thread, Its the one on "The lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander" by tikicleen

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=15550&forum=1&start=60

Be fore warned the pictures are sad and may make you cry!!

~Aloha~

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BoneyMaroney

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:59 pm   Permalink

When I first moved to this area in the mid-1970's, The Islander was indeed the hottest spot in Stockton, CA. It was a very popular hangout located off Pacific Avenue, particularly for peace officers and correctional workers of the area. I do not know why the business closed, but the building was not torn down, it was moved in whole to Pollardvile off Morada, east of Hiway 99, where it became their Chicken Kitchen! (I went there once after it moved, but the ambiance was gone and the chicken was very greasy). After that, the coolest spot to hang out was Black Angus off March Lane, east of I-5. The movie Saturday Night Fever brought about Disco Fever and they had a huge wooden dance floor and lights similar to the movie!

View Profile of BoneyMaroney Send a personal message to BoneyMaroney      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucyeth

Posted: 2011-08-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

Looks like the Stockton Islander/Pollardville Chicken Restaurant building has been torn down. Hard to tell for sure since I whizzing past on the 99, but I swear I used to see that building from the freeway. The big tower topped with the Pollardville sign is still there and there's a for sale on the lot.

View Profile of lucyeth Send a personal message to lucyeth      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation