FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Islander, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Islander, Stockton, CA (restaurant)
gkg000

Posted: 2011-08-09 8:28 pm   Permalink

I found this and I had to post. I remember the Islander Resturant building as a kid. We lived not far from it and I saw it evertime we turned onto Pacific Ave. It was already closed and empty when I was a kid but I remember the building very well. It kind of stuck out from everything else around it. I also remember being very upset when they moved it away. However we did eat at the Chicken Kitchen every so often. I remember I liked to eat inside the covered wagon. I would make my parents ask to sit in it if it was empty. But I have to say that I owe something to the Islander. Let's just say that I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the Islander. It was one of my parents' favorite resturants before I was born. It played a part in the way they met. Thank you Islander. You are the reason I am here.

View Profile of gkg000 Send a personal message to gkg000      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MamboKing
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 09:53 am   Permalink

Somebody is selling a Tommy Lee ashtray on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320808013295&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/RadioFreeBakersfield
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

View Profile of MamboKing Send a personal message to MamboKing  Email MamboKing Goto the website of MamboKing     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ronbo

Posted: 2013-05-20 09:47 am   Permalink

Hello - Yes I went to the Stockton Islander several times in the '70's. My Uncle used to bring his two sons out for every summer when we were 12-16 and the whole family went. They always had a cool floor show. I remember The Ink Spots played there and a few other old time groups. I still have a few of the mugs including the Skull and a few of the Tiki types.

View Profile of ronbo Send a personal message to ronbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-13 2:29 pm   Permalink

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 11:34 pm   Permalink

Sold on ebay for $50 recently

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-09 07:56 am   Permalink

A very nice find for whoever bought them. Nowadays many restaurant supply companies sell generic chopsticks in plain paper sleeves.

I can't remember the last time I saw custom-printed chopstick sleeves. My guess is that the last "great upheaval" in the chopstick world came when bamboo chopsticks came into vogue. One or two bamboo chopstick manufacturers were successful in taking over the vast amount of market share with their new "greener" and renewable bamboo product. For restaurant operators, they may have found that there wasn't much incremental value to having your own branded chopstick sleeves.

One exception to this may be the better Pho noodle houses and a handful of higher-end restaurants who provide customers with high-quality re-usable plastic chopsticks. They must wash and then re-package their chopsticks either in paper sleeves, or they roll/wrap/insert their sticks into their linen table napkins.

How "progress" changes things over time, huh?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-09 07:56 am   Permalink

A very nice find for whoever bought them. Nowadays many restaurant supply companies sell generic chopsticks in plain paper sleeves.

I can't remember the last time I saw custom-printed chopstick sleeves. My guess is that the last "great upheaval" in the chopstick world came when bamboo chopsticks came into vogue. One or two bamboo chopstick manufacturers were successful in taking over the vast amount of market share with their new "greener" and renewable bamboo product. For restaurant operators, they may have found that there wasn't much incremental value to having your own branded chopstick sleeves.

One exception to this may be the better Pho noodle houses and a handful of higher-end restaurants who provide customers with high-quality re-usable plastic chopsticks. They must wash and then re-package their chopsticks either in paper sleeves, or they roll/wrap/insert their sticks into their linen table napkins.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Veronica!
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-03 03:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-09 07:56, AceExplorer wrote:
Nowadays many restaurant supply companies sell generic chopsticks in plain paper sleeves.

USA is catching up to rest of world. Bamboo chopsticks have been around for more than three thousand years. The Chinese for chopsticks is compound of "quick" and "bamboo". And importing rather then manufacturing chopsticks domestically.

I carry chopsticks in my purse. Not Japanese hashi. Those are stored with the silver. Otemoto, the disposable bamboo type in paper sleeve. Which are neither Japanese nor Chinese. Generic. You never know when you will be eating something messy which requires precision. Or for arranging your hair in a bun before hopping on freeway with the top down on the roadster.

I do not think I would eat with plastic restaurant chopsticks. How are they washed? Would not they slip through the grate of the utensil basket in the dishwasher? Also, plastic is slippery. My little niece has plastic Hello Kitty training chopsticks. The tips are knurled for texture. Flexible joint at the top to retain the correct position in little hands while grasping. So. Turn upside down and toss in the dishwasher basket.

In the battle against the waste of disposable utensils whether plastic spork or bamboo chopsticks, one of the problems is cleanliness. When I unwrap bamboo chopsticks, snap them apart, fold them under my thumbs with my hands in the prayer pose and bow my head, I know I am the only person to have used those chopsticks.

From what I understand, American disposable chopsticks were of birch and were round with only fraction of taper and separate not joined at the top to be snapped apart.

The latest fashion in chopsticks is laser engraving with matching box. When I was a girl and laid out the things for supper, I knew which chopsticks belong to my father, my mother, my sisters, and myself. So what is the point? As far as commemorating auspicious occasion such as my wedding, engraved chopsticks with my husband's name entwined with mine in little hearts with the the date of our ceremony are going to be tough sell at rummage sale when I divorce the schmuck.

Laser engraving is expensive. Chopsticks in custom-printed paper sleeves which are widely available are expensive, too, unless ordered in extreme bulk. We must contend with shipping charges because local restaurant supply house does not furnish. And where to store all those cartons of chopsticks? Necessary to order twenty boxes to be on same economy. We are confronted with one-size-fits-all paper sleeves. Like going to chintzy restaurant with the paper Year Of The Rat / Ox / Tiger / Rabbit / Dragon / Snake / Horse / Sheep / Monkey / Rooster / Dog / Pig zodiac fortune telling placemat that leaves off in 2007.

View Profile of Veronica! Send a personal message to Veronica!      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-03 06:34 am   Permalink

I have used chopsticks but am not great with them.
Here are some from Kahiki.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-03 08:12 am   Permalink

Great additions, Veronica! and tikiskip. I have a collection of Japanese chopsticks, and love using them, and keep a fancy "formal" pair in my car at all times. Skip, practice-practice-practice and you'll get the hang in just a few sittings.

Don't know if we have a "chopsticks" thread, but they sure were a feature in many mid-century tiki restaurants.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-06 10:14 am   Permalink

A bowl *possibly* from the Islander, shown below, is currently up for grabs on eBay. No markings as to name of the restaurant. According to the description, it could be from either Stockton CA or Sparks NV restaurants. The "Buy-It-Now" asking price is $41 plus $25.15 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Island-Chief-Three-Tiki-Scorpion-Bowl-for-The-Stockton-Islander-/191837260066

tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-07 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-08 23:34, Otto wrote:
Sold on ebay for $50 recently

Bummed I missed seeing this auction. I'm curious if they were the set wasting away in a little antique store in Stockton that had an astronomical asking price attached. It is hard to find this sort of disposable paper ephemera. And I love the Woo girls shout out on the top.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation