FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Florida recommendations - Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando
Florida recommendations - Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-26 11:46 am   Permalink

Planning a 9 day trip in February. Here's what I have so far:

Key West - No tiki that I can find, but some good cocktails at:
The Other Side
The Rum Bar
Key West Rum tour

Fort Lauderdale:
Mai Kai - probably a few times, catch the floor show, dinner, Molokai lounge
Wreck Bar

Orlando:
Polynesian Resort / Grog Grotto
Aku Aku

Anything I'm missing? Any other sights I should hit while in the area?

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-26 2:33 pm   Permalink

We have some great home bars here on the Space Coast. A side trip over this way may get you a cocktail or two in one of them.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-27 10:49 am   Permalink

That would be great! We were thinking about heading over that way as well.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-27 11:29 am   Permalink

I suggest looking at North Beach Village in Fort Lauderdale for a place to stay. Great properly renovated mid-century hotels near the Mai-Kai and ocean and walkable to lots of things like the Gateway Theater. We stayed at The Victoria Park last time and loved it.

For the Mai-Kai, weekends can be pretty busy. Try to get in there on a weeknight to enjoy a quiet Molokai Bar. Make a dinner reservation and tip the Maitre D' for a better seat for the show. The show is a MUST.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheParkCollector
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-14 8:35 pm   Permalink

Any other cheap places close to Mai-Kai?

View Profile of TheParkCollector Send a personal message to TheParkCollector  Email TheParkCollector Goto the website of TheParkCollector     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rum on the rideau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-15 7:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-14 20:35, TheParkCollector wrote:
Any other cheap places close to Mai-Kai?

Was there in Feb. and we stayed at the Casitas Coral Ridge. NE 32nd St. It's an easy well-lit walk, or stumble distance. Had a 3-day minimum in Feb., however don't see that listed on website. Various rooms with different rates. Not an outstanding place, but clean, quiet and had a kitchenette. There's a mall and a liquor store half way in between.

View Profile of rum on the rideau Send a personal message to rum on the rideau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
headpaneer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-01-19 12:06 pm   Permalink

Jeff - did you end up taking this trip? I will be taking my two daughters to south Florida for 5 days and a week in Orlando this summer and curious about your experiences.

View Profile of headpaneer Send a personal message to headpaneer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-24 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-19 12:06, headpaneer wrote:
Jeff - did you end up taking this trip? I will be taking my two daughters to south Florida for 5 days and a week in Orlando this summer and curious about your experiences.

Sure did. Ended up in Fort Lauderdale and the Keys. We didn't find much tiki, other than the amazing Mai Kai, which we spent multiple nights at. In Fort Lauderdale Miami area, we really enjoyed taking the water taxi and wandering around. In Miami, little Havana was fun. Key West is amazing as well - lots to eat and drink, and we enjoyed the art galleries, the Hemingway House, and we took the boat trip out to the Dry Tortugas which was really fun.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation