[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Looking for Hapa Haole CD's
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Looking for Hapa Haole CD's
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 2:48 pm   Permalink

I have never heard the term. I always thought that the genra was refered to as exotica.
Or is that a completely different genra?
What would you consider:
Do Ho
Arthur Lyman
Martin Denny
Hilo Hattie
Alfred Apaka

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-07 14:48, MTKahuna wrote:

What would you consider:
Do Ho
Arthur Lyman
Martin Denny
Hilo Hattie
Alfred Apaka

Do Ho - Hapa Haole
Arthur Lyman - Exotica
Martin Denny - Exotica
Hilo Hattie - Hapa Haole
Alfred Apaka - Hapa Haole

Quote:

On 2003-08-07 14:48, MTKahuna wrote:

Or is that a completely different genra?

Yes, Exotica is different.

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-08-07 14:56 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 2:56 pm   Permalink

Ahhh....
I see said da visually impaired man.

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 3:18 pm   Permalink

The explanation makes more sense when you consider Charles E. King, who wrote alot of the early songs, was one quarter Hawaiian.
Jack and Harry Owens also wrote some of the standards, but they were white guys. Harry wrote Sweet Leilani, for example, and Jack wrote the Hukilau Song.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-07 15:20 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 4:16 pm   Permalink

Probably every "Hawaiian" song you know is Hapa Haole. If it has lyrics, it likely is. Some of the more traditional ones get in the mix too. But if it has English lyrics, it's Hapa Haole.

Exotica is instrumental lounge music that has a exotic sound and often some connection like the cover, song title or home land of the performer.

Then there is Tahitian music, which is my newer favorite for it's fast beats and energy.

By the way, my Exotica/Hapa Haole/Tahitian station on Live365 is gone. There was no interest. I may bringit back closer to Hukilau next year for a few months, but it's just not being listened to. Too quiet and slow I guess.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:41 pm   Permalink

About 10-12 years ago we would sit in a restaurant called the "El Crab Catcher" on Kaanapali Beach (Where "Hula Grill" now is) and listen to a Two Man group called "Hapa". It was one Haole and one Local Boy. They played there about every night, and we were sooo sick of listening to them, when they won a handfull of Na Hokuhanohano Awards (Hawaiian Grammies). Then they started playing larger venues and charging money to see them. I think they put out a few well received albums before splitting up.

If you're interested in a Hawaiian Album I'd recommend Kelii Reichel's "Kawaipunahele". It's Hawaii's all time number one selling album for a good reason. (check out who did the graphics) I know it's available at tropicaldisc.com

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 1:02 pm   Permalink

Mauitiki, We just saw Hapa play out here last week in Santa Cruz. I didn't know much about them or their music. They were super talented and the hula was beautiful. However, it was not really the style of Hawaiian music that I am into. From what I gather, it is still one original guy from way back along with a couple new guys.
I have The Hawaii CD from the "Best of International" series. It's really good. I think the distributor is "Madacy"

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 5:20 pm   Permalink

Pop, just come out to LaMariana and you'll get all da Hapa Haole and traditional music you want live at da piano bar.

aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 9:27 pm   Permalink

Did anyone mention this CD...

Vintage Hawiian Treasures: Hapa-Haole Hawaiian Hula Classics, Volume 1

I picked it up from a Borders on Maui during my honeymoon and it's great--old recordings from 78s remastered. You can get it from the manufacturer here:

http://www.cordinternational.com/hapa_haole.htm

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 10:39 pm   Permalink

Swanky, was this now-defunct channel different than your Swank Pad broadcast? If so, I didn't even know about it. I would have tuned in for sure.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-09 2:11 pm   Permalink

One of my favourite CDs is the re-issue of Les Paul and Mary Ford's "LOVERS' LUAU", with Hapa Haole songs, but all done instrumental (guitar) with 50s background choruses, very lilting, dreamy "mood" music.

And then there was Paul Page, my hero...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 10:57 am   Permalink

This promises to be a fine specimen of hapa haole:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=13393&forum=11&7

Should be fine crooning, hot Hawaiian steeling, mad ukeing, moody upright bassing, and jazzy guitaring.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 12:30 pm   Permalink

Here's some of my fave compilation disks, nearly all 1920s to 1950s vintage stuff. Most are sung in Hawaiian, so I don't know if that disqualifies them as HH:

Legends of Falsetto
History of Hawaiian Steel Guitar
Vol. 6-Vintage Hawaiian Treasures
Hawaiian Steel Guitar Classics
Blue Hawaii (not the movie soundtrack, prolly the closest to HH you are looking for. I mean, Bing Crosby is on it!) (http://tinyurl.com/6yr89)

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 1:44 pm   Permalink

Don't forget this :
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=13221&forum=11&0

That's the ultimate Hapa Haole compilation, 4 CD's...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-18 1:13 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation