FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bahooka, Rosemead, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Bahooka, Rosemead, CA (restaurant)
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 7:05 pm   Permalink

The Bahooka management is disappointed that Von Franco is not holding their show this year. Apparently there were scheduling conflicts.

If someone else wants to step forward and organize a big tiki event at the Bahooka, they would love to hear from you.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 11:05 pm   Permalink

Maybe it's the rum, but...like Dr. Who's Tardis, the Bahooka is clearly much larger on the inside than it is on the outside. I have walked around the interior several times, and I am telling you that you cannot FIT the inside into the outside. Not even with television.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KaptainKuku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-24 05:53 am   Permalink

Love the Bahooka. I've gone there for my birthday for the past three years.

The ribs are pretty good, not the best ever, but certainly above average. Some of the rest of the food was a little bit too fried. Lots of fried breaded stuff. But I guess that's the authentic cuisine from back in the day.

The drinks are fantastic. The decor is hilarious and adorable. The fish tanks are cool as hell. Is Rufus still alive?

If you've never been to Bahooka, it's worth at least one trip, maybe a drive of one or two hours. Good road trip.

View Profile of KaptainKuku Send a personal message to KaptainKuku      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
7echo

Posted: 2005-10-24 9:10 pm   Permalink

Can anyone confirm that it is open again as of 10-24-05? I drove there on 07-21-05 for my kids' birthday (after checking the website for hours, directions, etc, no hint of problems) only to arrive to find that it was CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS until at least 09-27-05 according to the sign posted outside. Also, the post about it being run by a former employee of Kelbos', I remember reading that in a magazine a number of years ago, and from personal experience, the menu at Bahooka is almost identical to Kelbo's in it's prime (hooray for the baked yams & ribs!!!) Only thing missing is the neon-backlit boards at each booth illustrating the various mixed drinks available. I remember one (can't recall the name of the drink, though) that was touted as being Johnny Carson's favorite whne ever he visited. Gee, the good ole' days!!!!

View Profile of 7echo Send a personal message to 7echo  Email 7echo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-25 09:07 am   Permalink

I ate lunch there last week. If they renovated it, I couldn't tell. The place still leaks when it rains.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 5:12 pm   Permalink

I was there twice in August; the second time, with my girlfriend and her four-year-old niece. They'll serve ANY drink on fire, you know; they even served the little girl's milk with a flaming crouton suspended above. We were all impressed with that. I think I shot a couple hundred photos. The place is a beautiful aquarium-lined, tiki-peppered labyrinth.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-11-01 11:42 am   Permalink

Order a "Grenade" from the bar (while you're looking down at the fish under the bartop!) AND....if you're feeling a little crazy......order it with the pin pulled! Don't order more than two and expect to drive very well!!!
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-29 10:18 am   Permalink

I went here for the first time and really had a good time. The ribs are great and I had a flaming side salad. Everyone else at my table gave me strange looks when I ordered it but were impressed when they brought it out. One of the staff members said that on monday (this would have been December 26th) they were going to be closed to film a movie with Jim Carrey. Fun times.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 02:41 am   Permalink

sporkboyofjustice wrote
Quote:
One of the staff members said that on monday (this would have been December 26th) they were going to be closed to film a movie with Jim Carrey. Fun times.

As noted previously in this listing, Bahooka was used as a location for "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." I haven't seen the movie, but one of the staff told us it was the booth at the very end of the aisle after you go in and turn right.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 11:44 am   Permalink

As far as I know, several angles of the inside are seen (even giant fish Rufus can be seen!), and there is a shot that was taken outside in the parking lot. I think one of the waiters mentioned that the table you described was the "Johnny Depp table," or the table Depp relaxed at while they filmed there.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 9:00 pm   Permalink

I lived just a few miles away from the Bahooka back in the Seventies. In high school, it was a popular place to take a date for dinner because you could make out in the booths and some of the waiters would serve us alcohol without checking IDs.

I went back there last Christmas for the first time in almost 30 years. We had our kids with us this time, so no booth nooky for me and Missus Bali Hai, but it was still a lot of fun.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 9:26 pm   Permalink

MrBaliHai, this one's for you:
Enjoying the presentation of a flaming Mai Tai at the Bahooka.

I was there twice in August...went to Tiki Ti right afterwards...nothing against Tiki Ti, and I perceive it's coolness, but I prefer the tranquility of Bahooka.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope 2005-12-30 21:50 ]

tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 10:06 pm   Permalink

Our lovely server eyes Rufus...and vice versa.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope 2005-12-30 22:07 ]

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 03:56 am   Permalink

Great pics, 'lope! That shot of Rufus is a classic. There was a line 5 deep to toss him carrots on the night we were there, so my kids were disappointed.

And I agree that the Ti is not a place known for its peace and quiet, but I sure met a lot of cool folks there the last time I went, and the drinks were amazingly good. Bahooka is the place to take people you already know for some intimate socializing, and watch Go-Go light stuff on fire.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mjrphreak

Posted: 2006-01-23 08:52 am   Permalink

I went there for the first time this weekend and loved every minute of it. On a side note there were alot of rigging trucks in the back and a truck from Univerisal Studios. When we arrived inside I inquired about all the trucks and people out back. The management told me that tommorow(today) they were filming a suspense/thriller movie staring Jim Carey titled "Number 23". While on a non chalent trip to the restroom I could see into the area they had marked off and they had put of Christmas decorations in the parts they would be filming. Rufus was ever present and eating his usual carrots.

View Profile of mjrphreak Send a personal message to mjrphreak  Goto the website of mjrphreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation