FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bahooka, Rosemead, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Bahooka, Rosemead, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 10:02 am   Permalink

Nice find. Only heard of, never saw photos of that place. Which came first? Was that location even remotely as decked out as the Rosemead one? I assume they moved the decor over to Rosemead when they closed shop in West Covina.

PS.: Dang, I should check Critiki first before I ask stupid questions!:
"This is Bahooka's original location, in West Covina. Bahooka was started by two brothers and a sister in 1967, one of the brothers -- Jack -- had worked for 10 years at Kelbo's. The building was expanded over the years, which was ultimately its downfall -- it grew over a property line, and in the ensuing dispute, Bahooka lost its lease. In 1980, the building was demolished. Fortunately, four years earlier a second Bahooka location had been opened in Rosemead, which still operates today."

Thank You!

Rosemead Blvd with Bahooka and its Tiki apartments is still one of the best Tiki tours to take...a shame that the whole Clearman's corner was razed, though...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-04-11 10:11 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 10:47 pm   Permalink

You found most of your answers, but I can address this somewhat...

Quote:
On 2007-04-11 10:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Was that location even remotely as decked out as the Rosemead one? I assume they moved the decor over to Rosemead when they closed shop in West Covina.

Yes, they were identical in decor and theme. VERY identical. After a couple of drinks...you sometimes forgot which one you were in until you got outside!

And yes, some of the stuff from #1 made it over to #2 and populated an expansion they did there in Rosemead, as well as "plus" the existing space a bit. But Darlene (Rosemead) told me that the bulk of the stuff from #1 got sold right from the Francisquito location at a big auction they had just before leveling the joint with bulldozers.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 11:00 pm   Permalink

Back on...
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 08:52, mjrphreak wrote:...they were filming a suspense/thriller movie staring Jim Carey titled "Number 23". While on a non chalent trip to the restroom I could see into the area they had marked off and they had put of Christmas decorations in the parts they would be filming.

This movie was released not too long ago. It just sorta came and went, but it's still playing in a few theaters.

I was wondering if anyone out there saw it and noticed any of the scenes filmed at the Bahooka?

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 02:01 am   Permalink

Pics from our visit on Aug. 20th 2007

This is what happens after too many a drink!

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2007-08-22 02:28 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-22 05:38 am   Permalink

Rufus still looks pretty good for a 30+ year old fish!!!

Cheers,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shampoovta
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-02 09:47 am   Permalink

WOW! Went last night for my 42 B-Day and just WOW! The pictures don't do it justice. Wish there was room at the bar I would of had another for the road (Passenger). Next time I will bring more people to get a bigger fish tank. This place is a must see. LOVE IT!

View Profile of shampoovta Send a personal message to shampoovta  Goto the website of shampoovta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 10:04 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more photos, I just went there this past Sunday. I decided to upload these since so many of the early photos don't display. What an awesome place. Make sure you continue to drive North on Rosemead Blvd to the 210 and check out the 4 still-standing Polynesian-styled apartments, they have some great details.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-13 8:01 pm   Permalink

I went there about two weeks ago and was pleased to see they were stocked up on T-shirts in different colors, and even had issues of Tiki Magazine for sale, below cover price, if I recall correctly! And the tiki-style decor in there looks denser and more polished every time I see it.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Caveman

Posted: 2008-09-28 8:10 pm   Permalink

Oh man, I so have to go here! I managed to step in one day during a commute home from work just to take a look-see, but I haven't had a chance yet to sit down with my wife and a bowl. It looks awesome.

- Wheggi

View Profile of Caveman Send a personal message to Caveman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 1:02 pm   Permalink

I had the pleasure of going to this WONDERFUL restaurant with Procinema29 last weekend. I loved it man! And the teriaki chicken I had with rice was fantastic!! So was the salad & their own dressing (which was included with the dinner) and rolls. Would love to go to a tiki event or get-together there! What a place! Thanks Procinema29 for introducing me to Bahooka!

[ This Message was edited by: Enchanted Tiki Guy 2008-10-01 13:02 ]

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KaliforniaTiki Cove

Posted: 2008-10-15 1:50 pm   Permalink

If you haven't seen any, or many, of the original Tiki joints, Bahooka is worth the pilgrimage. It's original, let's grant it that. It is, as has been duly noted, nautical spiced with tiki. It has a lot of aquariums, although many of them are scratched, and almost all of them are under-filled, and topped with dried water scum. The food is not what you're going for, but it isn't bad. It's no worse than Fisherman's Wharf and a heck of a lot cheaper. It's got atmosphere in spades. Drinks? Order them at the bar. Like the old Ports O Call, where I used to work, this place apparently has a policy of not putting alcohol in the tropical drinks not ordered in sight of the bar. I always order a Mai Tai, for tradition. I do not like the flavor of the rum and the juices combined, so if you leave the rum out, I really notice, I like the taste of the juices. To their credit, the waiter--who was friendly and helpful throughout--did not labor the point, did not argue at all, beyond his flimsy excuse, and quickly returned with a generous shot of rum. Still, come on. Was the money they almost saved on that one shot worth this word of caution that they've generated? I drove there from Pasadena, and having seen it (and some older, and much better vintage places that have long since gone by the wreckers) I wouldn't go back. But, if you missed the first Age of Tiki, then by all means, go. And check out that menu: When was the last time you saw Chablis on a California menu? This place is seriously retrograde, and it's worth at least one trip.

View Profile of KaliforniaTiki Cove Send a personal message to KaliforniaTiki Cove      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 2:56 pm   Permalink

KTC...

We'd love to hear about your experience at Ports o Call, and see pix too.

That being said, I LOVE Bahooka....crusty fish tanks and all.

The last time I was there, the drinks (*ordered from the table) had PLENNY booze in them.

The food was old school for sure, but tasty...besides.....where else can you get a baked yam (with brown sugaron top) these days ?

Can't wait to play there this Sat with the Orchestra.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nkash001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-28 3:38 pm   Permalink

The boyfriend treated me to a nice dinner at Bahooka's last night. Simply wonderful! I highly reccomend saying hi to Rufus the fish and ordering a Monsoon!

View Profile of nkash001 Send a personal message to nkash001      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 6:22 pm   Permalink

Here's a nice view.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
builtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-01 10:32 am   Permalink

this place is like stepping back in time and on another plane of reality all at once...the depth and thickness of the decor is beyond belief...nautical and historic...

View Profile of builtiki Send a personal message to builtiki  Email builtiki Goto the website of builtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation