FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » S.O.S Tiki Bar, Decatur, GA (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
S.O.S Tiki Bar, Decatur, GA (bar)
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-05 7:36 pm   Permalink

Name:S.O.S Tiki Bar
Type:bar
Street:340 Church St
City:Decatur
State:GA
Zip:30030
Phone:

Description:
Details coming after the opening Fri.

http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/11/5/9675630/the-sos-tiki-bar-decatur-paper-plane

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-06 09:05 am   Permalink

View Profile of Rum Journey Send a personal message to Rum Journey  Goto the website of Rum Journey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-06 09:19 am   Permalink

Nice! It's always good when a new tiki bar opens.

Tiki is being indelibly inserted into today's generation's experiences. This bodes well for tiki remaining around for a very long time. Great news!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-08 10:22 am   Permalink

I visited the establishment last night with my wife and four friends. We tried about three quarters of the drink menu. The menu as you see above is a mix of of traditional Tiki drinks, original concoctions and traditional rum drinks. The Mai Tai was a tad too sweet for me, but other folks in our group enjoyed them. The Zombie, Sloe Death, Rough and Rowdy and Saturn were good. The Queens Park Swizzle was the winner of the night for me. They had a very nice selection of spirits and it appeared that Denizen was one of their go to rums for their cocktails.

The food was okay. The Coconut shrimp was sort of bland, some folks really liked the dipping sauce. The ribs were fine. I heard the wings were tasty, but some were under cooked. The guacamole and sliders were well received.

During the course of our stay one of the staff members told us that the decor, lighting and glassware would be improved over the next three months and one of the walls will be opened up to provide an indoor-outdoor element to the bar. As far as Tikis in the decor, they had a couple in a window and quite a few mixed in behind the bar. I hope to see them add some nautical elements and some masks, they certainly have the wall-ceiling space for it.

My harshest criticism actually is with the music being played and the attire of the staff. We occasionally heard Exotica, but otherwise it was a poor mix of rock, pop, and other randomness. I am hoping they have this element figured out by the next time we visit. The ladies were wearing appropriate attire for a Tiki establishment, but the men were wearing plaid and polos. This absolutely did not work. I know they are sharing staff with the establishment next door so for right now I get it, but that element needs some work.

So overall they have a lot of work to do,but I see the potential for this to be a decent Tiki bar if/when the changes are made.

View Profile of Rum Journey Send a personal message to Rum Journey  Goto the website of Rum Journey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-09 12:48 pm   Permalink

Rum Journey, thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this new place. Did you snap any pics to share with us? How were the garnishes on the drinks and what was the mug situation? Did the drinks come in the vessels depicted on the menu?

Sounds like they are at least doing okay with the mixology. Completely sympathize on the music perspective. It takes a mega-well-done tiki bar in all other respects to overcome a lack of exotica music and still be a killer tiki bar.

Cheers!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-09 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-06 09:05, Rum Journey wrote:

And is that Planter's Punch mug served in a hat-less Bum head?

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-10 06:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-09 12:48, finky099 wrote:
Rum Journey, thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this new place. Did you snap any pics to share with us? How were the garnishes on the drinks and what was the mug situation? Did the drinks come in the vessels depicted on the menu?

Sounds like they are at least doing okay with the mixology. Completely sympathize on the music perspective. It takes a mega-well-done tiki bar in all other respects to overcome a lack of exotica music and still be a killer tiki bar.

Cheers!

Here are a few drink pictures.

Tropic Thunder

Saturn (the only Tiki mug we saw there)

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Journey 2015-11-10 06:11 ]

Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-10 06:10 am   Permalink

Rough and Rowdy

Queen's Park Swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Journey 2015-11-10 06:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Journey 2015-11-10 06:23 ]

Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-10 06:26 am   Permalink

Here are some shots of the bar and dining area.

Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-10 06:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-09 12:56, finky099 wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-11-06 09:05, Rum Journey wrote:

And is that Planter's Punch mug served in a hat-less Bum head?

It looked like the punch was served in a medium sized mug, same type seen in the pictures. They mentioned getting proper Tiki mugs in to replace what they had was high on the To-do list.

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-10 12:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting pics, Rum Journey. Interesting about the mug situation. I know it sometimes takes new places time to get mugs, particularly custom ones, but surprised they were using some pretty plain earthenware for the most part. Looks like garnishes were decent at least.

Cheers!

Rum Journey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-11 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-10 12:58, finky099 wrote:
Thanks for posting pics, Rum Journey. Interesting about the mug situation. I know it sometimes takes new places time to get mugs, particularly custom ones, but surprised they were using some pretty plain earthenware for the most part. Looks like garnishes were decent at least.

Cheers!

The young lady who discussed the plans with our party definitely wanted the mugs and glassware replaced as soon as possible. If I understood correctly the few mugs they had, were left overs from the previous establishment. I will keep the board updated as they evolve.

Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-14 4:29 pm   Permalink

A week later.. staff is all in aloha wear. The happy hour punch is being served in glass tiki heads (nothing special, but comfortable and kinda neat). Rough and rowdy tastes kinda Mai Kai, which is nice. Place was full by 6:10. Mor l8r

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mmaurice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-11-22 10:16 am   Permalink

Visited S.O.S last night, sad to report I wasn't impressed.

It looks like the old Paper Plane with a new coat of paint and some Hawaiian themed décor.

We had a Zombie, Mai Tai, Planter's Punch, and Queen's Park Swizzle. The Zombie was OK. Mai Tai was missing something, it wasn't sweet enough and the Orgeat didn't ring through. Planter's Punch, not sure if it was the bitters or some liquor but something over powered the drink. The swizzle was OK.

Staff was in Hawaiian shirts.

Had the coconut shrimp. They were OK, nothing to complain about.

Music was not what it should have been.

All-in-all it felt like a couple hipsters said let's make a Tiki bar without ever visiting one.

View Profile of mmaurice Send a personal message to mmaurice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-22 11:12 am   Permalink

And this bar is SO close to a MAJOR metropolitan area (Atlanta) where they have a Trader Vic's for inspiration, and a reasonably creative element among the population, and some other decent bars. You'd think they would do better.

And from the reports here, they are missing the mark both cocktail-wise and décor-wise. A sad missed opportunity. Maybe the owners have limited funds.

How "sports bar-ish" is the place? Full of televisions? Was the crowd good?

Wouldn't it be great if our "Tiki Central Ministry of Tiki" could reach out to these places, gauge their level of interest and commitment to tiki, and offer our help and advice. If nothing else comes from our offers, at least we could clean up their mixology and help it head more in the direction of world-class offerings.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation