FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Did you know about Google Feature?
Did you know about Google Feature?
pentaclegoddess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-06 10:24 pm   Permalink

Beware the New Google Feature!

www.google.com

Type your home telephone number into Google's search bar & click the search button . . . MapQuest returns with a physical location of your phone number.

People could use this feature to locate your home address, and receive explicit directions on how to get there from anywhere in the country.

You can remove your name off this database

To do this: Type in your full phone number -- using dashes -- like this: 555-123-4567.

If your number appears in the mapping database, an icon resembling a telephone will appear to left of the entry on the results page.

Click on this icon and it will take you to a page containing a description of the service, and a link to request your number be removed!

Recheck your phone # to be sure it has been removed. Also, if you have children, please check their phone # too!

This is another example of invasion of privacy, isn't it?

View Profile of pentaclegoddess Send a personal message to pentaclegoddess  Email pentaclegoddess Goto the website of pentaclegoddess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 08:10 am   Permalink

Didn't work for me...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 08:30 am   Permalink

I typed in 555-123-4567 just like you said, and got almost 6,000 sites in the search results, but no mapquest........

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 1:06 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, this is not the least of Google's creepy Big-Brother privacy violations; for years, every search you make on Google is logged on their servers.

Yes, every Google search - ever - logged with the search criteria, date, time, and WHO performed the search, is sitting on a hard drive somewhere.

If the government had such an efficient way to keep track of us, we'd all be in a big mess.

Use
www.alltheweb.com I don't know what creepy privacy violations THEY commit, but they're not Google.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 1:40 pm   Permalink

"Your search - 416-876-**** - did not match any documents. "

Damn!

(no, I'm not giving out my phone number on Tiki Central!)

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 2:09 pm   Permalink

My phone number is unlisted, and doesn't turn up on Google. The Gavin Newsom phone-bankers in Kansas can find me, though.

Has anyone tried searching on 867-5309?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-08-07 2:47 pm   Permalink

Here's an even cooler (creepier?) one:

http://www.anywho.com -- Reverse Lookup tab:

Click on the "Reverse Lookup" tab. Enter in a phone number and get the name and address of the number's owner (if it's listed).

Here's the cool part: if the street is listed, click on the street name to see the addresses and phone numbers of ALL THE PEOPLE ON THAT STREET (who have listed phone numbers).

This is great for finding out your neighbor's phone numbers.

So before you start to freak at the privacy issues here, remember, the phone company allows you to not list your address, or your phone number all together, if you don't want.

Anywho.com also has the map feature. (And by the way, I don't think google has a direct phone-number-to-address feature, I just think it happened to index some Mapquest pages of addresses -- my 2 cents).

~Hanford

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-08-07 14:47 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-08-07 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-07 13:06, tikibars wrote:
Yes, every Google search - ever - logged with the search criteria, date, time, and WHO performed the search, is sitting on a hard drive somewhere.

Where did you hear this?

By the way, I saw their privacy policy, and yes it says they save date time, and IP address, but they don't say they save that WITH the query information. Most all webservers (including the one tikiroom.com is running on) save the date, time, and IP address of everyone who accesses it for server logs, although in Tikiroom.com's case, those logs are indexed then thrown out on a daily basis, and only the totals are saved. (names, addresses, email addresses, etc cannot be collected by webserver logging tools)

~Hanford

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw where they say it's saved with the query. I need to learn to read better.

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-08-07 14:58 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pentaclegoddess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-07 3:55 pm   Permalink

I try it to see if it was true and sure it is. This is what it looks like.

The links on the right takes you to the map to show how to get to the address.

The good things is that you can ask them to take you off.

Blessings
Pentaclegoddess

View Profile of pentaclegoddess Send a personal message to pentaclegoddess  Email pentaclegoddess Goto the website of pentaclegoddess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 4:09 pm   Permalink

Our number only lists the sitar school that used to have our number. Strangely enough, there's sitar bits in the U,B & O song playing right now. Weird.....

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pentaclegoddess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-07 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-07 14:47, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Here's an even cooler (creepier?) one:

http://www.anywho.com -- Reverse Lookup tab:

Here's the cool part: if the street is listed, click on the street name to see the addresses and phone numbers of ALL THE PEOPLE ON THAT STREET (who have listed phone numbers).

I try the anywho.com and that is way too Kreepy!

kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 5:37 pm   Permalink

This recent article about google is pretty fascinating: http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/06/25/google/index_np.html

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-08-07 5:47 pm   Permalink

Cool, thanks for the screen grab. I tried several phone numbers and was not able to get it to work.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation