FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-06 11:55 pm   Permalink

Name:The Beachcomber
Type:restaurant
Street:10138-100A Street
City:Edmonton, Alberta
State:
Zip:
Phone:422-5126

Description:
The Beachcomber opened at the end of October, 1963. I'm told it was owned by Zane Feldman who was the first owner of the Edmonton Oilers hockey team (he passed away earlier this year). I have only the vaguest memory of this place from my one and only visit shortly before it was bulldozed in July, 1980 to make way for a bank tower. I remember crossing a small bridge at the entrance, and that's about it -- I certainly don't recall the marvellous decor in the pictures below. I'm sure emspace will have a thing or two to add.

Note the carving on the pillar, far right -- a woman's naked body with a tiki head (?). There's a black velvet wahine on the wall, right. The tables have lamps with tiki bases and wooden (?) tiki salt & pepper shakers.

-Sweet Daddy Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2010-01-14 16:01 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 11:07 am   Permalink

I have something to add right away: THANK YOU SWEET DADDY TIKI! These images are wonderful. I knew it was lavish inside due to hazy childhood memories as well as the description on the menu fartsatune gave me. I pictured it a bit darker - and it may very well have been when it wasn't set up for promo shots. I hope we can locate an exterior shot some day - I'm pretty certain the "blockhead Tiki" was also a big sculpture at the entrance, along with some nice carving on/around the doors.

aloha and mahalo,
emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-03 12:18 am   Permalink

Wow, this would've been the closest Tiki bar to me geographically (that I'm aware of). Too bad I missed it by 23 yrs.

Sure, there is a "tiki" bar here in Calgary...if you can call it that. Maybe I'll go take some photos of it and post them here so we can all share a laugh.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 9:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-03 00:18, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Maybe I'll go take some photos of it and post them here so we can all share a laugh.

Do it man! I'm serious, I need to know whether it's worth a visit...if not maybe you, me, SDT, and coconutz can all meet in Edmonton some day. Or at the James Joyce for a Guinness...

emspace

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 10:13 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-10-07 21:44, emspace wrote:
Quote:

maybe you, me, SDT, and coconutz can all meet in Edmonton some day.

You can add Tiki A. Moaikingbird to that list -- my friend I've been bugging to join up. He finally did, tho' he hasn't posted yet.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-08 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Do it man! I'm serious, I need to know whether it's worth a visit...if not maybe you, me, SDT, and coconutz can all meet in Edmonton some day. Or at the James Joyce for a Guinness...

I promise to get something up soon. I'm gonna take my camera and try to get some photos. My biggest problem is my camera is not digital. Oh yeah, and I'm not really motivated to go back real soon...

Seriously, the Bamboo Room isn't terrible. It even has some tikis in it. It just seems so...sparse.
It could have been so much more kitschy (which, I'll admit, is what attracted me to tiki culture in the first place). There's just not enough eye candy. Everything seems...NEW. And you can forget about getting a drink in a tiki mug. Nothing here refers back to tiki's glory days.

I really need to post some photos so you can see what I mean. Right now I'm feeling like a big snob. But you'll see what I mean once you get photos.

Still, in a pinch, the Bamboo Room is better than nothing. It just would've been so great if they just filled the space with more tiki-ness. *sigh*

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-10 12:23 pm   Permalink

This monkeypod tiki just arrived from Edmonton today. The lady I bought it from said it came from the estate of a woman that owned the "Polynesian Beachcomber" in Edmonton. She also sold some unusual mugs on ebay that I didn't buy. I really like this tiki because it is a female, and I have never seen one like it.

Of course, six of you will now tell me you have one that is identical to it.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-10 1:33 pm   Permalink

Well, I don't and I would like to, that' beautiful.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-10 6:20 pm   Permalink

Woohoo, it was YOU Geoff! Congrats, I am happy for you man. Now, about that LP project - check yer email...

em.

Randy Exotica
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-10 10:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-10 12:23, Kailuageoff wrote:

Of course, six of you will now tell me you have one that is identical to it.

Hello everyone. Pardon me for piping up here without having introduced myself first. I've been lurking here for awhile and just registered recently with the intention of posting when I had come up with something suitably witty or edifying to say. But I had to comment that, although not in hand at the moment, I am indeed supposed to have a tiki identical to this one on the way to me. I was the one who won the auction for this tiki on ebay that just ended a couple of days ago. So I must admit to some confusion. Was there another auction for one of these? Or did you buy one directly from someone else? Just curious but also a little concerned I guess, since I don't actually have it yet. Or concerned that there are dozens of these around. I'd appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks.

Randy

View Profile of Randy Exotica Send a personal message to Randy Exotica  Email Randy Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-10 11:24 pm   Permalink

Randy, the seller had two of those tikis up on ebay, and a whole schwack of other stuff from the Beachcomber purchased at an estate sale. i've been kicking myself almost daily that I missed that estate sale, but I'm starting to get over it.

blog

Randy Exotica
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-11 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-10 23:24, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Randy, the seller had two of those tikis up on ebay, and a whole schwack of other stuff from the Beachcomber purchased at an estate sale.

Thanks for answering. I can't believe that I missed the auction for the other one since I unquestionably have an OCD about checking ebay every day for any vintage tikis. And Shag stuff. And hula nodders. And tiki mugs. And somebody help me, please! Maybe I did just introduce myself. Probably not much more to tell.

Randy

View Profile of Randy Exotica Send a personal message to Randy Exotica  Email Randy Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 7:58 pm   Permalink

Here's another photo. Taken Nov. 15, 1967:

Betty Bouffant doesn't look too happy.

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-04-21 15:14 ]

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 8:02 pm   Permalink

Betty Bouffant is P.O.'d that she has to go to dinner with Casper Milquetoast!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 20:02, tikifish wrote:
Betty Bouffant is P.O.'d that she has to go to dinner with Casper Milquetoast!

His posture's as bad as mine!

Here's another for all the curious:

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation