FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-17 12:07 pm   Permalink

emspace,

That photo is remarkable. Is that a postcard?

I'll try to post pictures of the matchbook soon.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-17 12:33 pm   Permalink

That, dear Sabu, is a small resize of a scan of an 8 x 12 print, taken from a transparency in the City of Edmonton Archives. I wish like hell I could find a postcard. Moreover, there are swizzlesticks out there somewhere featuring the "blockhead Tiki" mascot seen on the menus. Glad you enjoyed it, it is a sweet photo, and it was a sweet restaurant. Drinks were served in Tiki mugs, the walls and ceiling were thick with Tiki as you have seen - a classic place at 53 degrees N. latitude, where Tiki was most desperately needed!

aloha,
em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-17 8:45 pm   Permalink

Aw man that place is SWEET!
Brings a tear to me eye, it does.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-25 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-08 21:33, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I promise to get something up soon. I'm gonna take my camera and try to get some photos. My biggest problem is my camera is not digital. Oh yeah, and I'm not really motivated to go back real soon...

I can get access to a digital camera if we wanted to do a Calgary meet-up! We can show off both the minimalist wonder and our mugs (as in, our faces, since Bamboo doesn't have any mugs...) in one shot

You forgot to mention the House, Trance and Urban music that they play there too... Brr...

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-25 5:25 pm   Permalink

Hey Enchanted,

Sounds good, we should meet up at Bamboo. I was there about 2 months ago and took some photos to post, but alas, I loaded the film incorrectly...god I suck.

Anyway, the manager is a friend of one of my friends, so I was shown the place even though it was closed. He was kind enough to answer my questions and let me ake photos. He may even be open to suggestions. My friend told me that they do have tiki mugs there, however in what kind of capacity, i have no idea...

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 3:20 pm   Permalink

I've restored all the photos of the Beachcomber to my posts. And here's the photo of the exterior that was in emspace's post:

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 3:21 pm   Permalink

Sweet Daddy, I can re-add that photo to his post if you like?

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 3:28 pm   Permalink

That's right, as moderator/goddess you have the power to mess with mere mortal's posts, don't you? As you see fit, TW.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 4:19 pm   Permalink

Wow! Thank you for restoring those photos, Sweet Daddy T! I wish I was born about 30 years earlier. Actually, I wish this place stayed open about 30 years later. Where was that? That must be Rice Howard Way, going by the address. I might as well add these photos to this thread. Sorry about the 2nd, out-of-focus pic.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IGNITERS

Posted: 2008-09-12 2:27 pm   Permalink

I've got a couple of these swizzle sticks myself , though I never had the pleasure of the first hand drink in that awsome place !

View Profile of IGNITERS Send a personal message to IGNITERS  Email IGNITERS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 5:06 pm   Permalink

hi-

i have just recently won some red and some blue paddle swizzles on ebay for the beachcomber, like those pictured above......i did however miss out on some of the other colors and a different style tiki swizzle from the same tiki bar.....

if anyone here was one of the other folks that won those auctions and would like to trade me one or two of their swizzles for one or 2 of mine please p.m. me.....i am trying to get at least one of each color of the paddles and one each of the smaller tiki ones......i'm missing the green and yellow paddle and have none of the red green or yellow little tiki swizzles.....

thanks!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 5:38 pm   Permalink

so I have won some yellow and red paddles....and have some little red tiki toothpics!
also A copy of the food and the drink menue!
Funny how ya gotta win em on ebay but at least the last seller was from the city anyway !....
pm me if ya wanna trade colors as I dont have any green or blue!
( boy are we a bunch of nerds huh ? lol)

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 1:43 pm   Permalink

Sweet Daddy Tiki,

It is great to see all of the old Beachcomber photos back in this post, thanks for that.

I just picked up the drink menu from The Beachcomber in Edmonton.

Here is the front of the menu.

Here are a couple of close ups from the drink menu. Great illustrations.

I also have this cocktail pick from The Beachcomber.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-27 11:33 am   Permalink

here is what I have to add!

and I just won some napkins on ebay as well .....
Just found this !

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-05-05 12:49 ]

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 12:43 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-05-29 12:43 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation