FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 12:00 pm   Permalink

found this at the library in the old phone books!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 12:36 pm   Permalink

Tikiville,

Great ad! Interesting to see that the Beachcomber also borrowed the tiki mask/torch/shield design from the Leilani for the ad copy.

Did you find any other phone book ads for other unknown Tiki restaurants? If so, add them to the Canadian Tiki thread.

Thanks

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 3:10 pm   Permalink

Cool find there TikiVille!!
I bet there are a few more Ads in those books to be found. Almost every year the Beachcomber was here in Vancouver there was an Ad for it. Most of the Ads were the same designs though. I found quite a few different restaurants that were tropical in name when I went through a bunch of old phone books so who knows what you may find. Keep hunting!!

This Ad you posted is really cool as it has their logo Tiki drawn on the left side and then an obviously copied piece of art from another Tiki establishment.
Great Ad!!
What year did you get this one out of??
I am thinking it is an early one as it is quite original for the Beachcombers Ads (Even though they did copy some of their art). I mean, most of the Ad's are the same with the logo Tiki on them.

I gotta say DC, your idea of the Leilani is close but I gotta say it's much more like the Kon Tiki Sign from Tucson, Arizona:

It has the same style of Mask, Torches, and the background even has the same cross-like style. Less of course the Kon Tiki name!
Guess the Beachcombers artist either paid a visit or saw a menu or something from the Kon Tiki.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-01-14 15:18 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-14 15:10, TabooDan wrote: Less of course the Kon Tiki name!
Guess the Beachcombers artist either paid a visit or saw a menu or something from the Kon Tiki.

Yeah, like this one:

Aaah, I'm so proud of my Urban Archeologists, ping-ponging each other!

This menu rendering has been in use there until fairly recently (still is?), in various color combinations. I even got a T-shirt with it there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 4:24 pm   Permalink

I stand corrected, the Kon Tiki it is. Thanks for the clarrification. What did Uncle Trav call that? The Tiki Transmission Tradition!

Sven that sounds like a cool shirt, post it on Zeta's T-Shirt thread.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-01-14 16:26 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 5:52 pm   Permalink

"The Chain of Tiki Transmission", also....(a term I took from the Sufis), as a more polite term than "Rip Off" for the re-use of a logo Tiki from restaurant to restaurant

Ouh man, the T-shirt thread, that's a whole PROJECT in my closet.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 06:13 am   Permalink

Here is another table card and the matchbook I received from TabooDan to add to the thread. I wonder why more mugs from these locations don't show up?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 10:53 am   Permalink

I've never seen a mug labeled for The Beachcomber. From this photo, it looks like they at least used a coconut mug and a PMP Peanut mug:

Their drink menu shows these and a few more interesting-looking mugs, the likes of which I've never seen in the wild. My guess is that their mugs weren't marked in any way for the Beachcomber. For all I know, one or two in my collection could very well have come from there. It's too bad - that's probably the only thing that separates them from most of the famous American Tiki temples. I've yet to find any trace of the wooden S&Ps that were found on every table, although I believe SDT managed to get his hands on one of those lamps!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 10:07 am   Permalink

OH BOY!!!!

( found in a "BILLY'S GUIDE" Edmonton hand out magazine 1975)

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 06:32 am   Permalink

Here is a napkin from the Beachcomber.

And another ad from Edmonton.

It just struck me that the Beachcomber Tiki looks a little like the Popular Mechanics hobbyist Tiki!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation