FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
The Beachcomber, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (restaurant)
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 1:02 pm   Permalink

Hey Kilaueakyd,

Some Beachcomber stuff turned up at the antique mall this week. I bought this lamp and mug:

The lamp was $65. I jumped on it at that price because the last one I saw on eBay (also from the Edmonton Beachcomber) went for over $200.

Too bad you didn't buy one of the big tikis. I would have helped you carry it

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 2:02 pm   Permalink

A great score indeed Mike. I have a couple I am going to put on Ebay soon. I am also going to sell some of the Vintage Bamboo mugs for anyone interested.

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 2:28 pm   Permalink

I did some research on the Mugs and met the artist Dave that made them. He said the were done in the early seventies. I asked if they had any lead in them and he said no they knew about lead by then and had never used it in their products. He said the molds got thrown out years ago, too bad. He told me the markings on the bottom were on newer versions only. The feds started to insist on it he said.

They came in this box addressed to the Beachcomber Edmonton. All mugs were wrapped in Calgary Hearld newspapers from 1975.

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 2:50 pm   Permalink

That's very cool about the bamboo mugs. Didn't know they used any (relatively) local makers. I've probably come across some in thrift stores but wouldn't know it since they're not marked. Did the guy make any other mugs for the Beachcomber besides bamboo? Like coconuts maybe?

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-12 3:09 pm   Permalink

Okay, now I know where Kilaueakyd got it all from! I should check TC more often! If I was still collecting I would have loved to get in there for some of the larger items. A couple of chairs even.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-13 10:50 am   Permalink

The maker of the mugs said he would try to find a couple of the others he did. He didn't tell we what other styles he produced so we will have to see if I hear back from him.
Oh, I recall he said there was a Moai mug.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-26 11:31 am   Permalink

One of the Edmonton Beachcomber tikis has made its way to my home in Victoria!
Whomever bought it from the sea container did a nice job refinishing it.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-26 12:15 pm   Permalink

Beautiful! Colour me green. I also like the rest of the room. And your cat.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-27 1:58 pm   Permalink

Sweet Daddy Tiki, next time you're in town, come over for a visit & drink!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation