FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Great Big Hawaiian Dick to NBC....!
Great Big Hawaiian Dick to NBC....!
Hawaiian Dick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-18 11:40 am   Permalink

So, after working on this for well over a year, we've sold HAWAIIAN DICK to NBC, co-produced by Johnny Knoxville, who's been a supporter of bringing HD to the screen for a decade.

Super excited.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3323115/Johnny-Knoxville-set-bring-long-sought-adaptation-Hawaiian-Dick-comic-books-NBC-one-hour-comedy-action-series.html

Tiki TV!

Mahalo!
- BCM

[ This Message was edited by: Hawaiian Dick 2018-02-15 05:36 ]

View Profile of Hawaiian Dick Send a personal message to Hawaiian Dick  Email Hawaiian Dick Goto the website of Hawaiian Dick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2015-11-18 12:29 pm   Permalink

Congratulations! Looking forward!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-18 7:15 pm   Permalink

Tremendous!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-21 12:36 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-12-26 05:32 am   Permalink

Does anyone have any updates on how this turned out? The hawaiiandick.com site has expired, and there is no mention of any TV activity in the Wikipedia entry for the comic series. So it appears this got shelved at some point. There must be some more backstory than what I've found on the web. There are lots of reports from back in 2015 when this was being developed and considered by NBC. From "splitsider.com:"

NBC has put a new comedy into development from executive producer Johnny Knoxville. According to Variety, the network is working on an hourlong series based on the Hawaiian Dick graphic novels by B. Clay Moore and Steven Griffin. Written by Paul Lovett and David Elliott (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra), the series will center on a Stateside cop named Byrd who is exiled to Hawaii and finds himself immersed in a dark and dangerous paradise. Tropical noir mixes with procedural elements, resulting in both humor and the supernatural.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hawaiian Dick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-15 05:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-12-26 05:32, AceExplorer wrote:
Does anyone have any updates on how this turned out? The hawaiiandick.com site has expired, and there is no mention of any TV activity in the Wikipedia entry for the comic series. So it appears this got shelved at some point. There must be some more backstory than what I've found on the web. There are lots of reports from back in 2015 when this was being developed and considered by NBC. From "splitsider.com:"

NBC has put a new comedy into development from executive producer Johnny Knoxville. According to Variety, the network is working on an hourlong series based on the Hawaiian Dick graphic novels by B. Clay Moore and Steven Griffin. Written by Paul Lovett and David Elliott (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra), the series will center on a Stateside cop named Byrd who is exiled to Hawaii and finds himself immersed in a dark and dangerous paradise. Tropical noir mixes with procedural elements, resulting in both humor and the supernatural.

Over a year later...

I just saw your note on this!

NBC renewed the option last year (with an eye toward NBCUniversal producing the show), and we ended up retooling the pitch for cable/streaming cable, and are currently in the process of working toward getting the show to air.

New writers and a heavy hitter show runner.

Also, for the first time ever, they committed to the period (fifties) setting. The pitch is exactly what I've always wanted it to be, so fingers crossed it lands. Should have a better idea very shortly!

Mahalo!
-BCM

View Profile of Hawaiian Dick Send a personal message to Hawaiian Dick  Email Hawaiian Dick Goto the website of Hawaiian Dick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-15 06:15 am   Permalink

No worries, and thanks for the reply! That's great news, and I hope your project sees production in the very near future.

Re-read some of this thread with great interest to get back up to speed. I actually know a stateside former cop named Byrd, but he resides and works here with me in Florida.

Please keep us posted. The more we know, the more we can help support the show.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-15 07:48 am   Permalink

Thanks for the update! I'd think the period setting would be an easier sell in the aftermath of Mad Men, but then again, Agent Carter didn't live up to expectations, so that might've undercut anything pitched outside of "modern contemporary."

I wasn't aware of the show option until I saw this thread this morning, and before I got to your latest update, I figured you'd gotten a pilot that wasn't ordered for series. Back when I was a kid, networks would always burn those off during the summer, so we got to see some weird, terrible, and occasionally pretty good one-offs. That hasn't been the case for decades, so most pilots simply vanish without so much as a whimper. Looks like the new streaming frontier is changing that a little. Good luck with your show, and please update us when you have any additional information you're allowed to share!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-15 2:30 pm   Permalink

I thought NBC just got rid of a Great Big Dick.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-15 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-15 14:30, tikiskip wrote:
I thought NBC just got rid of a Great Big Dick.

Would that make this the biggest case of prime time Dick replacement since Bewitched?

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation