FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Have you unexpectedly met someone famous?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Have you unexpectedly met someone famous?
Larry Lava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:31 am   Permalink

Mrs. Larry Lava has met David Hasselhoff twice! The funny part is that both times I was not in the U.S. The first time I met him he was in a park in Vancover, Canada with his family. He asked us to leave him alone because of his kids so we politely walked away. The second time was at the height of that old SNL skit that always said "Germans love David Hasselhoff." Believe it or not on my flight home from Germany to LA was David H. For some reason that year security was very tight in Germany. As I went through numerous security check points I noticed that all the guards were holding 8x10 photos of him. I guess he handed them out to get through quickly. I didn't know he was on my flight until arriving in baggage claim in LA. Apparently, his luggage was specially marked to come off first and instead it came off last. He was yelling at a guard and was not happy. She was talking loudly into her walkie talkie saying, "Get Mr. Hasselhoff's luggage off now!" It was so loud that all of us noticed him and some started taking pictures. The same lady then got on the overhead speakers and said it was a federal offense to take pictures in customs and the next person who took one she would have arrested. All the flashes went away after that and soon Mr. Hasselhoff got his luggage. I never even dared to dream that it was possible I could be twice blessed with David sightings.

View Profile of Larry Lava Send a personal message to Larry Lava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:36 am   Permalink

I used to manage a bar in the Westin Bonaventure in downtown LA, so I met a lot of celebrities there. Here's the highlights.
Joe Montana-Drunk as hell with a super hotie, not his wife, gave me a $50.00 tip.
Jean Claude Van Damm-hit on several women in my bar, they all turned him down.
Jesse Jackson-with his wife and mistress in another room -impressive!
Angela Lansbury-So drunk could barely stand
Rodney Dangerfield-Very friendly
John from CHIPS no sense of humor kind of an ass
The main guy from Harold and Maude- I said "hello, I really love the movie Harold and Maude" He looked at me like I had a hatchet in my hand and took off fast.
Nicolas Cage-Acted like someone was stalking him. not an attractive man.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:48 am   Permalink

Man, I love this stuff! Thanks, Tiki-Riviera!

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:59 am   Permalink

While temping at a new internet company, They have Monty Hall from "Lets make a deal." come in and do a little staff "Let's Make A deal", sans costumes, so I played and got a giant rocking chair for a prize.

The next day I went to lunch and got locked out of the office, but I knew I could get in from the next office next door. I started walking down the hall and this guy runs right into me, He apologizes and keeps walking, then I realize Pete Rose just just body checked me. So I caught up to him and asked him if he had any good tips for that nights games.

Thank U
Drive Thru

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-08-08 06:19 am   Permalink

"Does it count if you work retail and they come into your store? I worked as a record salesman for years, and had the great pleasure of meeting and dealing with John Rhys-Davies ("Indy!") and Ned Beatty, both tremendous gentlemen"---I have a grotesque NED Beatty impersonation inspired by the movie Deliverence.

Around 1982/1983 (at the height of the 49'ers popularity, I served Joe Montana at the Safeway Deli in Belmont, Ca where I was working at the time (two pounds oh headcheese, please). No, I don't know what he ordered because I didn't recognize him. He was on friendly terms with the manager and after I was done he talked to Larry the store manager not to complain that I didn't give him special treatment, but to say what a great employee I was and the the realized I had no friggin' clue who he was. (I'm not a sports fan-I'm a women fan). I think he was happily surprised to be treated like a nobody for a change.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 06:55 am   Permalink

Keanu Reeves - humg out at my house for a couple weeks playing bass with my roommate while filming Johnny Mnemonic in Toronto. Nice, but dull. Wanted to talk about Shakespeare a lot.

Kiefer Sutherland - drunk as a skunk at an after hours bar. Came in with some bodyguards and a 6 pack of Bud in cans. Knocked over some tables. Good times.

David Duchovny and Mimi Rogers at a hotel bar in Vancouver. They were sitting beside us, and I thought some hanky panky was going on but it turns out she was filming an X-Files episode with him, and they're just pals.

Emeril - I had no idea who this guy was who was eating at the table beside me at a fancy sushi joint in Santa Monica - but everyone was staring at him. I kept looking at him, thinking who the hell is that guy?' and weirdly, he kept looking at me with the 'who the hell is that chick'? look on his face too. I figured it out later while flipping pas the food channel.

Hmm, I'm sure I have more celeb sightigs but I am late for work... aaah!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 07:42 am   Permalink

Ran into Joey Bishop on a skateboard
Lived next to and garage banded with Randy Rhodes (Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osboune fame)
Spent part of a summer playing with Ethan Wayne met Dad several times, went to Rams games with Patrick Wayne's knees in my back
Watched part of a movie with John and Bo Derek
Dinner in the same room with Steve Martin
Shook hands with Richard Nixon
Racquel Welch walked by our lunch table at Farmers Market
I built homes for Steve Timmons and Jeannie Buss
Mossimo and wife Lori Laughlin(sp) (full house)I'm going to see them today
I know King Kuk
Linday Davinport was on the plane back from London
Went to Kelly Grey's (St. John Knits President and only model) wedding and remodeled her condo
Can't think of any more right now

Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:03 am   Permalink

But more importantly, tikifish, did Emeril ever figure out who you were?

Friend's stories I like:

Dave's girlfriend has a place on a lake in Idaho across from Arnold Schwarzenegger's place. Apparently when he's on his dock you can hear the next Golden State Govenor fairly clearly. After a fishing trip a daughter was showing the Arnold a fish and Arnold was heard to say "Yess, yess, thee feesh is luhvlee, Now poot thee feesh down." A family man! Vote for him, Califusans.

Gael cashiers at a popular coffee shop in Port Townsend, a town on the Washington Peninsula which gets plenty of stars visiting and moving in. On a busy Saturday a couple weeks back Gael was taking a coffee order from a couple she'd barely looked up at. Gael asked for a name to put on the order and the guy, in a "no-duh!" tone of voice, says "Stephen." Gael, having had her fill of surly tourists that day, said "Like I should KNOW that?" The couple laughed hartily at Gael's retort. Gael didn't think her reply was that funny. A little later it was revealed to her that the couple was Stephen Spielberg and wife Kate Capshaw.

My small tale:

I glanced over a balcony at a book store and saw Crispin Glover sitting alone at a table of books, smiling happily. I remembered he was supposed to be there doing a book signing...But no one was there to see him. "There's Crispin Glover," I said to a friend. "You should go talk to him," said a clerk as she walked past. "Why?" I asked. "Because he likes to talk to people." I didn't go talk to him (having nothing to say other than "I loved 'Twister'!"), but later that evening I passed him walking up the street, alone and still smiling. So I said "Hi." And, sounding just like Crispin Glover, he said "Hiiii-."

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

I remembered he was supposed to be there doing a book signing...But no one was there to see him.

I HATE it when that happens!

Okay, people, interersting what my off the cuff Gilliam story inspired.
I could go on and on about the music biz, because I have met literally hundreds of famous musicians over the course of my career, but for some reason it was still a thrill meeting Terry. But when I am at work, for some reason, meeting famous people is just part of another day on the job. Those of you in the film biz in LA can probably relate.

A few people I have worked with, off the top of my head -

Bill Clinton - nice guy, but the CIA had to do a background check on me before I could work the gig. He was giving a speech, and they needed a sound guy.

Prince (three times) - so arrogant it was funny

David Byrne - super nice

Robert Fripp - complete prick

Nick Cave - Aloof, but I got drunk with his drummer at the California Clipper (Dean, you'll want to hit this bar during Exotica 2003!).

Laurie Anderson - On September 11, 2001. She was on her cell phone all day making sure all of her people were OK (She lives in Manhattan), but she still did the show.

Timothy Leary - backstage at a Ministry concert when I was on tour with them. Incoherent.

Joe Strummer - Same back stage, same Ministry gig - maybe the only one of the bunch I was too nervous to approach (since I was't directly working with him, he reverted from 'another day on the job' status and back to 'larger than life' status). As I was wheeling a case full of equipment past where he was hanging out (alone), he pointed a finger, like a gun, at me, winked, and made a clicking sound as he pulled the 'trigger'.

James Brown - I mixed a show for him in front of 14,000 people with 30 minutes to prepare his 29-piece band. Nightmare. I pulled it off, I THINK! Backstage, he was happy with my work, I THINK - I couldn't understand a word he said!

Met lots of Jazz legends while on tour with Royal Crown Revue - Sam Butera, et al.

...I could go on and on. But it's funny, when you're working with these people, they're just your co-workers for the day, and you completey forget that they're 'famous', which is how it should be, I guess. You just do the job.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:30 am   Permalink

In the Palm Desert mall with my nephew when who walks by but Dorothy Hamill with kids in tow. I told my nephew who she was and he didn't believe me. So I said let's ask her. So I walk up to her and ask "Aren't you Dorothy Hamill?" She says yes. I told her I had to prove it to my nephew.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:42 am   Permalink

In my previous career, I served as an Architectural Drafting Consultant to many custom home builders in West LA. I met many celebs during my 13 year stint in this industry some of which included:

Kenny G - Drew the plans for his house on Lake Washington. I even got a mention in the liner notes of his "Miracles" Cd.

Sugar Ray Leonard - Same thing about the house but no CD.

Other celebs homes I've worked on include Diana Ross, Rod Stewart and Michael Bolton (yeah I know, not really A-list celebs but hey, it paid the bills).

Outside of Architecture, I've met Alan Ruck aka Cameron Frye in Ferris Buellers Day Off. Sat next to him at the bar at a posh now defunct nightclub/restaurant on 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica and took shots with him all night -- nice guy and a total party animal!

Oh and when my wife and I first started dating she worked at an upscale billiards club called Q's in Whittier. Oscar de la Hoya used to come in all the time and try and pick up on her. She would act like she didn't know who the hell he was. Can you believe I had to compete with that dude???

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:43 am   Permalink

I Left out the best one!!

Once Penthouse did a photo shoot in one of the glass elevators at the Bonaventure. It was a girl on girl scene and the girls were super hot, of course. I stood quietly in the background like I was suppose to be there. I think I visited the bathroom soon after! This was basically the highlight of my life, besides being a tiki central member.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 09:43 am   Permalink

Oh, I totally forgot, Chevy Chase was at that same restaurant (Nobu? I forget the name) as Emeril. He was pissed that no one was paying him any attention so when he left he turned to the whole room and made some lame joke, just to let us all know he was there and he was famous. No one cared.

Speaking of book signings, my uncle wrote a book on the history of the Aykroyd family, and Dan (he's a 2nd cousin) came to the signing. So there was my uncle, sitting at a table, waiting to sign the book HE wrote (along with Dan's dad), but everyone lined up and got Dan Aykroyd to sign it instead.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
limptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 10:12 am   Permalink

Does not count as a meeting but Ralph Lauren clearly sneered at my baggy and probably wrinkled non-Polo aloha shirt at the Pebble Beach concours a few years ago--it made me proud.

View Profile of limptiki Send a personal message to limptiki  Email limptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 11:06 am   Permalink

I meet Ralph Lipshitz too in an elevator, Met the 'Cos' in one too. Almost tripped Bernadette Peters walking down the stairs (I stepped on her trenchcoat belt.) Scared the shit out of Sissy Spacek 'cause I mistakenly grabbed her shoulder (thought she was my ex-wife). I used to work in theater business in NY so met lots. Many are big babies. Kevin Klein is a dick. Phoebe Cates is very nice. Oh yeah, Charles Durning is very funny and sweats like a waterfall.

I met Bob Denver's son the other day while visiting a friend at a miniature effects studio-looks just like Gilligan.

Saw Julia Roberts walking down 5th Avenue-she has big teeth. My ex started a fight with Tom Cruise in a deli-he was shopping and putting his selections on the counter-not letting us on line pay for our purchases (we had to wait for him,) He is short. Saw lots of folks half naked in my capacity as costume designer-it wears thin after a while.

Was watching a rehearsal of "The Seagull" with Ethan Hawke at National Actors Theatre. He was dismal. Our little group (which worked on it) could not restrain our disdain. When it ended the man ahead of us stood up-it was the National Actors Theatre founder Tony Randall and he didn't look pleased! I alway thought it was due to Ethan's "performance" (in which, of course, plates flew!) He had a "I'm sorry you had to sit through that" look on his face.

Who else-ran into Robert Goulet coming out of a performance of "Camelot" with Susan Anton. Lived for six months up in Lebec, California. John "Bo Duke" Schneider owned the house next door. When he came to town everyone knew-he drove the "General Lee"-no shittin' y'all.

Oh yeah, got a picture with Peter Faulk and some Hot Vegas hooker at the Velvet Hammer show at the el Rey. He looked pissed.

Can't think of anymore offhand except I stayed in Bigbro's house one month.

How can I forget? Barbara Streisand screamed at me as a small child on "Hello Dolly". I've heard other stories from encounters with friends of mine. She ain't a nice person.

And I can't leave out seeing Julian Lennon at Trader Vic's in New York. Rob Lowe bought us drinks ina "Restaurant Row" place 'cause we moved our table for him. Natalie Portman (pre "Star Wars") came in with a bunch of folks and joined him-she was very pretty.

I saw Vintage Girl Last Night.

I can't spell...

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-08-08 11:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2003-08-08 11:15 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation