FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Have you unexpectedly met someone famous?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Have you unexpectedly met someone famous?
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 7:21 pm   Permalink

Here's one for ya--

I met this cat in an elevator in a hotel in Myrtle Beach, SC around 1981-82. Lotsa you guys probably have never heard of him and his 'celebritiness' may have been a regional thing here in the southeast. He was from down 'roun Luweezyana and was a chef with a wacky cooking show, humorist and a self-styled "raconteur extraordinaire and goodwill ambassador of the Louisiana Cajun." He was going to meet a 'ladyfriend' in the same bar that my friends and I were going to. We didn't hang out with him though, we were probably underage or just barely legal and stoned as hell--just kinda gawked at him from the other side of the bar.

I also have a photo (somewhere) of Burt Reynolds holding me in his arms that was taken somewhere in NC on a family trip way back, I believe. OH, I should add, I was less than a year old in case you were wondering about the 'holding me in his arms' part.

I'm originally from Augusta, Ga. "Home of the Godfather of Soul" so running into Mr. Brown, as he preferred to be called was commom occurance. Augusta aint huge and Mr.B liked to be seen. I owned a nightclub for a few years next door to a jazz club (and a block up from where the Hale Tiki would eventually come into a short life) owned by one Mr. JB's former backup singers. When Mr. B and his band were in town they would usually hang at the jazz club next to my bar. More often than not, we would end up having 'lock the doors-after hours parties' until the wee hours (sans JB) and had some nice jam sessions with diff. members of JB's band--not technically celebrities, but in with 'in crowd' I suppose.
Laters,
Brad

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 7:40 pm   Permalink

Let's see! I saw Bobby Orr in a restaurant when I was 17 & wearing my high school hockey jacket. It didn't matter though, very posh restaurant. I've heard he's an awesome guy but I was warned not to bother him.
Waited for my luggage at Logan Airport with Steven Tyler at 1:00 AM after flying home from the SEMA show in Vegas 2 years ago. Way cool guy!
Met many cool Kustom Kulture/Hot Rod guys. George Barris, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, Norm Grabowski, Alex Xydias, Joe Bailon, Von Franco & Gene Winfield who, by the way, is a bit of a weinie!
Best of all, got backstage at a Brian Setzer show & had my picture taken with him. They don't get any cooler or nicer than this guy. If I can find the picture, (misplaced in the big move), I'll post it. Like anyone cares!
Oh, and lest I forget! I met Johnman, Bargoyle, Pappythesailor, & Granite Tiki at a Waitiki show! It was an honor to be in their presence!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 11:20 pm   Permalink

beside the aforementioned bunch of New England Tikiphiles in Big Kahuna's post....I have a somewhat Polynesian one ....This rather large fellow (about 6' 5" 260lbs.) was in my shop of pop culture clothing and stuff a couple of years ago and he said he was new to the area and pleased to find a lot of Hawaiian clothing and such in Vermont ...he mentioned he was raised in Hawaii ...during the course of banter I asked if he ever played football....he says "Oh a little for Oregon in college" ....we chat a bit more ,he buys some 2 XL Hawaiian shirts and as I'm ready to close for the night we decide to have some drinks and barbecue at a local restaurant...."Russ" and I meet up a few more times over the next couple of months ...I intro him to my gal, mention what might be cool to do in town , talk flying (he had his own plane), business, philosophy,and island life...... he becomes a regular customer and friend..so one evening he comes in the shop with a knockout girlfriend who's visiting from Ca. and he mentions jokingly how she might look good in some shear outfit on one of my racks ....she says "and what do you think that would get you, Mr. Francis ! ".... I say "What! Russ Francis! the All Pro NFL tight end for the NE Patriots and 49ers"! ( "ALL WORLD" according to Howard Cosell !) Here I was, an avid Patriots fan since their beginning , have two brothers and two best friends holding season tickets since forever , had expressed my fanship of the Pats many times to Russ and he never let on who he was (I even Knew Russ "Francis" was from Hawaii (as well as Mosi Taputu), became an All American at Oregon and I never put it together ! .....? Now how many times had I given him great deals and picked up the tab!?......If you never followed football from that era I understand how unexciting this story may seem .....anyway Russ is a great guy and he got a big kick out of my surprise .He also gave autographed stuff to my friends and family.....I also sold Anthony Perkins a stained glass lamp at the Wellfleet Ma. flea market ( possibly for the Bates Hotel !), was interviewed by Martha Stewart at an antique show, skinny dipped with John Hartford, and blabbed with Shag and his wife at Hukilau on the way to the Jetsetter with no clue as to who they were ! Oh ' the life of an innocent!

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_lifehater
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-26 4:07 pm   Permalink

When I was a kid we were at a bakery in San Diego and Dustin Hoffman was sitting at the next table. I didn't know who he was. On Maui a buddy of mine was the head chef of a fancy schmancy restaurant and we decided to all fly in from our various locations and crash at his house and have a big fancy old punks reunion dinner. Mike Myers asks his waiter who we were and why do we get our own dining room. I never would have recognised him. We end up saying hi to him and his pal, who are bored stiff in the outer islands. They didn't seem very funny. I'd have to say we were hilarious by comparison, but we were pretty drunk on fancy wine.

Ran into Tom Waits at a local health food store, Neil Young at a hotel north of us (as we walked by a young guitar playing buddy of mine says "How's it going, Neil?" and Neil Young just walks by saying, "Doing fine, doing fine." Very cool.

Otherwise just the regular variety of old punk rockers that you ran into around 1980 at punk shows- HR from the Bad Brains, Henry rollins, Ian Mackay, Colin and Wilf from GBH, Monkey and Kid from the adicts- drank a bunch of beer one night with the Angelic upstarts, buncha L.A. bands.

Ran into Denroy Morgan (Rasta guy) in Jackson Hole and he picked up my 4 year old daughter and my daughter says "look daddy- Bob Marley." Classic moment- Denroy Morgan seemed pretty pleased also. Run into all kinds of famous surfers around here, both young and old. My favorites have been Buffalo Keaulana, Greg Noll, and Rabbit Kekai. Legendary larger than life people.

Funny- every time I encounter these famous people I'm always a little surprised that they aren't ten feet tall and glowing or something- just regular people, mostly. It's funny, that. I have a buddy who does omlettes at the four seasons here and he says Stephen Tyler is the absolute best, always stopping to talk and slipping him a hun dred bucks at the end of his stay- and he says Heather Locklear is super nice and they talk a lot about raising kids. I personally have never been treated badly by a celebrity, but I've heard some horror stories about working with Neil Young and a couple things about Sly Stallone- wierd kinky hotel room wierdness. No thanks!

View Profile of T_lifehater Send a personal message to T_lifehater      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-30 1:37 pm   Permalink

How about have you ever made a stupid remark like I once did?

In 1986 my ex wife was the administrative assistant for Dr. Nancy Wexler who is now known as the "Gene Doctor". After Nancy was on Nova and 60 Minutes, everyone in LA wanted to throw her parties which we were often invited to as well. At the first party we attended to honor the Nova episode, the hostess dimmed the lights to show it. We were sitting on the huge floor and the resident cat was hanging out with us while we pet her. At one point I felt a hand brush mine and there was Daryl Hannah. Now this was just after Splash had come out and I'm not one to get star struck but I'm embarrassed to say I was then. We both talked with Jackson and Daryl and Blade Runner came up which my brother had worked on with her. I'm certain my ex was thrilled while on the way home I said, "She is so sweet, Jackson sure is a lucky guy!"

A few months later we were at Frederick Weisman's house at another a party for Nancy. He had a Picasso over his fireplace and a Kandinsky in the entry. The house is now a art museum. So we started to explore the house and at the top of the stairs were a pair of loveseats with a coffee table from Stanley Kubrick's "Clockwork Orange" The table was from the Milk Room scene. A blond woman is on her hands and knees in a teddy bare outfit and a glass table top is balanced. Sitting on the love seat, Daryl and Jackson. So we sit down and start chatting. I decide to be funny and I say" Hey Daryl, doesn't this look like something out of Blade Runner?" I would run into them until they broke up after that but she never forgave me for that remark.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-06-30 20:25 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 11:56 pm   Permalink

My brother introduced me to Michelle Pfiefer in '76 just after High School. Took her out to JAWS or was it JAWZ nightclub in Costa Mesa that allowed 18 year olds. I was 21, she was 18, she axed if she could sip my drink, bouncers saw it and kicked us out. Drove around trying to find another club in Santa Ana but couldn't find it. Took her home to her mom and dad's place and kissed her on the lips. That is all that happened. She was a sweet girl. Probably still is. I think she was making 7 million clams per movie when she did the one with Malcovich. Would be nice to build her a waterfall.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 12:57 pm   Permalink

1. Got flipped the bird by Mory Amsterdam when we were riding around near Beverly Hills in a Fiat 124 convertable. We had very long hair, so I guess that was what pissed him off.
2. Ran into Alice Cooper many times here in Tucson during the '60s-'70s after shows in a small rock club. He was in his pre-Alice days (a group called the Spiders) He was very cool and even spent some time with us just chatting. Talked to him a few times after he hit it big and he was still nice.
3. Met Robert Conrad in Hollywood once. He was Ok.
4. My wife found herself standing next to Bill Murrey and his son at MarineLand, late '80s I think. She said he was very nice.
5. Talked to all the members of Deep Purple at a the state fair in Phoenix, 1969, I think. They were all very cool.
6. Had dinner at Lil Abners here in Tucson, early '70s and sat next to Lee Marvin. He was very drunk, kind of a dick, but I still liked him anyway.
I think thats it.
I forget, got introduced to Walt Disney when I was 7 (1957), in the Carnation Ice Cream Palace in Disneyland. It was better than meeting the President. He seemed very tall at the time.

[ This Message was edited by: drgoat456 2009-07-14 13:05 ]

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 1:50 pm   Permalink

I was catching a flight at the Las Vegas airport where I ran smack dab into David Schwimmer (from Friends). He was wearing a baseball hat with his head down and I wasn't paying attention and we slammed into each other. And then stood there for a minute rubbing our foreheads. After a few seconds he said he had to go and took off.

Also when the Superbowl was in Tampa a few years ago I was working at Origins make-up counter in Dillards . At the entrance to the store was an oversized gumball machine. A woman and 2 girls came in and when they got their gum out the woman kicked the machine.

Right away I recognized Kirstie Alley (from Cheers) and said "Kirstie Alley don't be kicking the gumball machine, please". She looked surprised and pretty high..mumbled something then proceeded to get followed into the mall by a crowd of people.
Poor Kirstie Alley...she went downhill fast after that.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 3:04 pm   Permalink

When I was a toddler, Clark Gable was in my hometown filming a movie at a little amusement park & was looking for an 'extra' for him to help off the merry-go-round and (apparently) selected me from the crowd, much to my mother's delight. Unfortunately, the producer went with another kid.

When I was in 8th grade, my best friends dad was chief of police in Rancho Palos Verdes and took us to the annual "Police-Celebrity" Golf Tournament that year. I got about 40 different celebrity autographs on a single sheet of binder paper, but the best came from Richard Anderson, famous at the time for his role as "Oscar Goldman" on The Six-Million-Dollar Man. As I handed him my program to sign, he automatically flipped open to his photo - which I had earlier defaced with a pen (I'd blacked out all but one of his teeth, gave him an eye patch and some Frankenstein stitches). He was not amused by my 'alterations' and proceeded to shout something to the crowd about "Who did this?!?" When I stepped forward, he started laughing and then attempted to draw on MY face with the pen. Kinda awkward. For both of us.

Later on at the same golf tourney, we all had dinner under a big tent, and I sat next to Don Knotts for the whole meal, at least an hour! This was when he'd just started as "Mr. Furley" on Three's Company, one of my favorite shows at the time. He told me all about what it was like being on TV & in movies, the rehearsals, the make-up, his co-stars. He also told me about making "The Incredible Mr. Limpet". It was incredible! Across the table from us was Paul Moyer (Los Angeles news anchor) and he seemed just as enamored with Mr. Knotts as I was! My friends dad was partnered with James Hampton (from the original The Longest Yard) Just as nice as AmioTiki said he was. Got to meet Scatman Cruthers, too. Signed my piece of paper & gave me a big hug.

Got to go onstage & meet Dr. Demento and Weird Al Yankovic at a show at Magic Mountain. Got to stay 'in the wings' for the rest of the show and talk with them in turn as they 'switched-off' performing. Sat at a table with Weird Al at the Comedy & Magic Club many years later. He claimed to remember me. I think they're both great.

In my late teens, I partied many, many times with Butch Patrick, the guy that played "Eddie Munster". He was a total lightweight and laughed a lot.

Later in life, I met Ronnie James Dio backstage at a Scorpions concert. He's really short. And polite.

Met both Alicia Silverstone and Billy Corgan backstage at a Counting Crows show. She's really pretty, he's really quiet. The Counting Crows were really, well, they were OK...

Sat behind Don Felder (of the Eagles) at a David Bowie concert, sat in front of Ron Jeremy (c'mon - you don't know who Ron Jeremy is?) at a Neil Young concert. Talked with them both briefly. Don was very nice, Ron was, well, very 'Hedgehog-y'...

I managed a bookstore for a few years, and one day Charlotte Rae (Mrs. Garrett from The Facts of Life) came in. It was a slow Sunday and she & I were the only folks in the store. She stayed most of the day and we talked about all kinds of stuff, mostly about the books she was interested in, nothing at all about her show. She spent about $500, mostly cookbooks and dictionaries (?). Very nice lady.

Oh, and when I was in 6th grade, I watched Van Halen (known as 'Mammoth' at the time) play a backyard party in Torrance, CA. Sat on the wall behind them until the party ended. Didn't actually meet them, but...

Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-14 3:45 pm   Permalink

Let's see;
Babalu
Bowana
Little Lost Tiki
Squid
Tobunga
4WDTiki
Mieko
Buzzy
Eric the Red
Ravenne

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 06:13 am   Permalink

The craziest story I have: Back in 1989, Barbara Carerra, a really beautiful and charming woman, tripped on a brick and fell on me. Granted, I was working on a low-budget film at the time and she was in it. But this was unexpected. She was walking on a brick pathway and the bricks were not mortared, they were just set in place on the lawn of this house; and one of her high heels got caught on one of the bricks. She started to fall over. She was wearing a stunning gown and did not want to get it messed up with dirt, this would probably have set production back, so she chose a convenient thing to fall on: me. She apologized and of course I said, "Oh, it's no problem at all."

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 07:26 am   Permalink

I passed Don Knotts at a Safeway store with a friend and it took a while to register who it was and my pal was going to give me $10 if I asked him if Knotts Berry's Farm was named after him but I declined.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 7:37 pm   Permalink

While I was running at the gym today I looked over and MC Hammer was lifting weights.

He lives in my city but I havent seen him for about a year so I was suprised that I did. I was also happy that his camera crew was not with him.

I was going to tell him that he put on a great show...when I was 13! but i thought that would just make him feel old..lol

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-22 11:34 am   Permalink

One day when I was walking across campus during my college days, I was reading through notes and not paying attention to where I was going. I suddenly walked into a large group of people and crashed into a woman who gave me a very dirty look. Having never watched MTV, I later learned it was 'Downtown' Julie Brown, before she became a has-been.

I also ran into Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee (respectively dressed as Sherlock Holmes and Watson), when I stumbled across a movie shoot in Luxembourg.

While checking out of a hotel in San Mateo, California, Robert Mitchum was in front of me at the front desk. The clerk said Mitchum often stayed at the hotel, when he would visit the nearby Bay Meadows race track.

For my famous/non-celebrity encounter, I met Ensign George Gay once at an airshow. He was a pilot in Torpedo 8 - the American torpedo squadron that attacked the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Midway. The squadron tried to hit the Japanese aircraft carriers, while flying through a hail of anti-aircraft fire. Every plane was shot down, and Gay was the only one to survive the attack. Not a celebrity, but most certainly a hero.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-25 4:49 pm   Permalink

Ran into Dennis Miller at the San Diego Comic-con last year. He was walking around the convention center floor looking at displays and taking notes on a voice recorder. I walked up and chatted with him and he posed for a pic with me. Very cool guy!

Got to attend the swearing-in cermony for Lieutenant Governor Cruz Bustamante a few years back - shared an elevator with Carlos Santana and Edward James Olmos who were also attending the ceremony.

In my college days, Donald Sutherland came to Fresno to shoot a horrible science fiction movie. I was the assistant to the assisant casting director. There was a scene where he was supposed to step off camera then go back in. I was daydreaming or something and stepped right in his way off camera - but he never missed a beat and kept delivering his dialogue while gently pushing me aside and walking back in front of the camera. I thought I was going to be thrown off the set - but nobody said a thing! He had this beautiful white dog with him that I petted a few time -while nobody was looking.

Almost forgot - was introduced to comedian Margaret Cho. My roommate was part of this local Asian group that was screening her film "I'm the One That I Want." I really didn't know much about her at the time but she was really nice and posed for a pic.

[ This Message was edited by: Fres-tiki 2009-09-25 17:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Fres-tiki 2009-09-25 17:37 ]

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation