FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki What was your first mug?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
What was your first mug?
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 6:22 pm   Permalink

Mine was "The Tiki's" Moai from Monterey Park, just curious

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-08-07 20:12 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 8:10 pm   Permalink

DisneyWorld Polynesian Resorts' frosted glass, 2 sided/faced mug. both the large & small sizes. 1980-something.
-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 8:25 pm   Permalink

I inherited a lot of mugs by way of Kiliki, but the first I bought was a pair of the surfer girl mugs at our favorite local antique store.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 8:42 pm   Permalink

Treasure Craft cofee cup marked "Treasure Craft hawaii 1960" 25 cents, score!
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 11:03 pm   Permalink

My first was "Super Tiki Deluxe" from MunkTiki.
He still sits front and center of my collection of nearly 100 mugs.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 11:46 pm   Permalink

I started out with a 6 mug set of the worlds most common Tiki mugs, the short ones from Harvey's at Lake Tahoe. The one that people always call a planter. I only paid 16 bucks for the lot, so I guess its not all that bad...

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:10 am   Permalink

I got a short one too. Has "The Tonga Room" printed on the back. I'm a displaced San Franciscan and enjoyed the place back in college when no one was really interested in that stuff (as far as I know). I don't think they had mugs you could keep back then so I got one years later on Ebay.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:18 am   Permalink

I bought one Shag mug, Kapu-Kapu, and I could of bought the whole set for $150.00
DOH!!

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:58 am   Permalink

A Trader Vic's Canada coconut mug at a Value Village for $1.99. I was SOOOO excited! I grabbed that puppy as fast as I could, but my heart was still beating a mile a minute!

Aloha, eh?
-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 01:11 am   Permalink

A Trader Dick's Peanut mug from Reno Nevada! The rarest of the rare!!

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 02:36 am   Permalink

Mrs. ModMana vacationed in San Diego when she was 14 (1970s). Her uncle took her to the Bali Hai and she ordered a Mr. Bali Hai mug filled with some sort of virgin cocktail. That mug then sat untouched in her mother's basement in Indiana for the next 20 years. A few years ago we were bitten by the tiki bug and that old Mr. Bali Hai started our now substantial mug collection. Thanks to my mother-in-law for not selling it a garage sale or throwing it away.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 07:03 am   Permalink

I got my first mug at the age of 13 at a thrift store in Alabama. You can see a pic of it on my website or right here in the Collecting Tiki forum in the thread "Treasure found in Grandma's attic" it's the Green OMC (handled) Tiki Mug.

I remember my Mom being horrified that I wanted to buy it. I'm glad I had an allowance or I probably wouldn't have it today.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-08-08 07:03 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cowtown Kahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-08 08:06 am   Permalink

My first was the skull mug in which The Kahiki served their Zombies.

View Profile of Cowtown Kahuna Send a personal message to Cowtown Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 09:03 am   Permalink

"The Tikis" Black Moai - $2.00 at a junk shop across the street from Knott's Berry Farm.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 09:22 am   Permalink

First mug was a wooden one from the Philippines. Used to find 'em all the time at garage sales for a quarter. Had quite a collection of those going before I became interested in ceramic mugs. Passed up a few ceramic ones at thrift stores -- including a Mr. Bali Hai -- before I thought "hmmmm, maybe I should be collecting these too." First ceramic mug was this one, marked Hing Wah Co. Calgary on the bottom.

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2007-04-09 17:53 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation