FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki What was your first mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
What was your first mug?
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-09 06:18 am   Permalink

When I was a child I used to keep some weebles in the Bali Ha'i (New Orleans) 3 tiki blue bowl from my grandmother.

"Oh, Oliver. Oliver, how could I have been so careless? I should have covered the entrance to the cave better. Those children are going to ruin everything. I've got to get rid of them." Professor Whitehead 10/6/72 Brady Bunch "Tiki Caves"

[ This Message was edited by: suzywong on 2003-08-09 06:19 ]

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-11 11:01 am   Permalink

When I was in college, my girlfriend who is now my wife, found a set of 6 mugs at a junk shop. She thought I'd dig them because she knew I had a thing for all things Hawaiian/Polynesian. When she brought them up to the register, the lady looked at her sideways and said, "You want THOSE?" I think she got the lot for a couple of bucks.
Here's a link to them, there are 3 of each:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/unmarked/adq

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-11 12:26 pm   Permalink

I still occasionally get the "You want THOSE?" look at the flea market/thrift shop, often followed by the old "Are those worth anything?". I love those moments!

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-11 10:54 pm   Permalink

ALoha! Hey, this is really cool. It makes me a litle crazy when I think of the stuff that slipped through my hands over the years.

The first (I think) was from the Outrigger on Cannery Row in Monterey.

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-12 5:12 pm   Permalink

A set of Tiki Bobs. Not the palm log style, but the OOH statue.

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-13 11:58 am   Permalink

Trader vics coconut mug.... It came free with drink. I think I have 100 of them now.

[ This Message was edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-08-13 11:59 ]

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pooka

Posted: 2003-08-15 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-13 11:58, MTKahuna wrote:
Trader vics coconut mug.... It came free with drink. I think I have 100 of them now.

That was my first one too... then i got two Shag mugs from his 2nd edition at shop in Laguna, only $18 each! that was a great day...

View Profile of Pooka Send a personal message to Pooka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-15 6:01 pm   Permalink

Mine was a little 2" wooden tiki mug I got from a birthday trip to Disneyland when I was a kid. I completely remember spending all my B-day loot at an Adventureland gift shop. I picked up a plaster Moai wall mask, an African carving of a native holding a spear and shield and the little tiki mug. I still have them all! The price sticker is still on the bottom of the mug and says Disneyland $2.00.
That is the only stuff that survived my Firecracker years.
Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-08-17 08:19 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki.head
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-16 8:15 pm   Permalink

I got a skull mug and a Moai the same night at the Kahiki about 10 years ago, still have both in places of honor...

View Profile of tiki.head Send a personal message to tiki.head  Email tiki.head Goto the website of tiki.head     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-17 02:16 am   Permalink

Tiki Farm's "Hot Head" although I'm not really collecting mugs and mainly use them for drinking

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Midway Cafe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-17 12:19 pm   Permalink

My first mug? I'll let you know when I get it.

View Profile of Midway Cafe Send a personal message to Midway Cafe  Email Midway Cafe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-17 2:44 pm   Permalink

When I was about 4-5 (1959) My Dad used to take us for long weekends down to Shelter Island so he could watch the Navy ships and dream of better days. We were regulars at Bali Hai, he would prop me up at the bar with a virgin Mai Tai and we would watch the Polynesian Revue. Its no wonder that my first mug was a Mr. Bali Hai. (no wonder I have a problem with booze...)

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-17 4:32 pm   Permalink

I don't remember exactly which one it was but I'm sure it was probably a Stockton Islander mug. That was back when I could find mugs for a buck each. Probably at the same thrift store that I found my suffering bastard decanter at too ( $.75 ! ).

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-17 8:03 pm   Permalink

orchids of hawaii r-91 set of six

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-17 10:35 pm   Permalink

Orchids of Hawaii R-72 Moai Mug. Have a friend in the restaurant supply business who has hooked me up with some cheap modern imitations since and I appreciate that very much (Even the Cheap Ones have Character - Just Character Different from the Originals). Also have "Collected" (er... Bought) several Tiki Farms. Even have the silly little set of 4 from Archie McPhee. I must admit to being a drinker outer of'er and not a collector myself. I do, however, get a special thrill when drinking from a piece of history.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation