FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki What was your first mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
What was your first mug?
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-19 12:03 pm   Permalink

I always rememberd that I had a cool mug when I was about 12 that my grandmother brought me from some trip. I loved it and drank everything out of it. I also remember that my kid brother broke it in a fit of, well, whatever his fits were about.

It wasn't until I went through some old photos my mom sent me (and the photo from SciGirl) that I finally remembered which mug it was. That's right, it was that Crane headhunter. Suddenly I'm mad at my brother all over again!

I'll post a pic of 12-year-old me with that mug as soon as I can get it scanned.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-25 11:52 am   Permalink

I guess I'd have to say what really lit the Tiki Torch for me was when I found this old "set" of four Jard Mugs for $4.00 at my local swap meet.

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaiserstyle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-25 12:29 pm   Permalink

Found a Harvey's Hula Girl Mug at an East Berlin flea market. Lady wanted $1 for that "beautiful vase". I still wonder how it found its way. I cant't provide childhood stories (due to the lack of Tiki Bars in Germany).

View Profile of kaiserstyle Send a personal message to kaiserstyle  Email kaiserstyle Goto the website of kaiserstyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-25 2:57 pm   Permalink

My first find was a plain old Green OH R-5.
My first Big score was Mr. Bali Hai.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 11:09 am   Permalink

BUMP!

This looks like a fun thread for a boring day.

Here's my first: Lenny (I think his name is Lenny)! Bought at a thrift store for $.99. Lenny showed me that Kansas City wasn't devoid of Tiki after all!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-15 6:20 pm   Permalink

My first mugs were the set of accoutrements mugs, got them at Party City or something like that. One of my very next purchases was the Wahaku Warrior from the All About the Tiki show. I love that mug. My first vintage mug was a Kon Tiki mug from the Kon Tiki Hotel in Tucson, AZ.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-21 08:50 am   Permalink

Orange Cheeky Tiki Big Belly with "Marsh Harbour" written across the bottom from a souvenir shop in Marsh Harbour, Abacos Bahamas. Didn't know I was gonna be collecting then.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnyvelvet
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-17 3:36 pm   Permalink

The actual coconut mug pictured here. My sister brought it home from Don the Beachcomber, Houston, about 1976. The first mug I bought [1999, in a thrift] was the 'Droopy' mug pictured in the center of page 20 of Tiki Quest, except in pale yellow. I no longer have that one.

[ This Message was edited by: johnnyvelvet 2013-06-17 15:41 ]

View Profile of johnnyvelvet Send a personal message to johnnyvelvet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-17 10:02 pm   Permalink

The lidded Moai from the Aku Aku. Still my favorite outta 3-4 hundred in my collection
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-29 4:09 pm   Permalink

The Goof from Bali Hai... The were out of the Mr. Bali Hai. : (

[ This Message was edited by: Kiwi Steve 2013-06-29 21:36 ]

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coffee Pirate
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-29 9:00 pm   Permalink

When we lived in Atlanta, the folks went to Benihana's for some birthdays and brought home mugs. I preferred Farrell's for my birthday, even tho' I wasn't allowed one of their gigantic ice cream desserts. The 'rents didn't go to Trader Vic's cuz Benihana's was cheaper and had free parking. A couple of birthdays I asked to go so I couple get a TV skull mug. I would up with a Norcrest Skull instead. Have no idea where the 'rents found it. After over 30 years, still have it. Mostly drink coffee (sometimes "corrected") out of it.

View Profile of Coffee Pirate Send a personal message to Coffee Pirate  Email Coffee Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 11:12 am   Permalink

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 05:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-30 11:12, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:

x2

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 10:13 am   Permalink

I bought my first mug a only a couple of years ago. We were on a surf/tiki trip, and our first hotel room was at Humphry's Half Moon Inn in San Diego. We walked over to Trader Mort's, bought some Lopez Coconut Cream, pineapple juice, and Flor de Cana rum. I bought a Joe Vitale "Lil Waha Nui" mug, my wife bought "Kalifornia Ku" mug by Drew Brody, and my friend bought a "Rum Belly" mug by Flounder.
That's how it began...

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation