FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tropical Ceiling Fan
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tropical Ceiling Fan
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-03 4:11 pm   Permalink

I ran across this today:

http://www.palmfanstore.com/tiki.htm

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-03 4:51 pm   Permalink

Ah yes....that last one is a nice outdoor fan. I had a similar one in my outside patio and during a 40-50 mph wind storm two blades got ripped off. The fan is now adorning moondog426's inside Tiki bar with all blades back intact and it looks great.

The first fan posted in this thread is wonderful, I have a similar one in my Tiki lounge, one in my living room, and one in my master bedroom...great fans...good airflow and reduces the amount of air-conditioning usage.

I have previously made plain fan blades into large banana leaves by gluing artificial leaves on the blades and painting them....they turned out great and lots of people wanted that fan...as Martha would say "it's a good thing."

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-03 7:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-03 16:51, VampiressRN wrote:
I have previously made plain fan blades into large banana leaves by gluing artificial leaves on the blades and painting them....they turned out great and lots of people wanted that fan...as Martha would say "it's a good thing."

You should add that idea to the "Tiki on the Cheap" thread.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-03 8:02 pm   Permalink

Will do...thanks for the suggestion.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue07

Posted: 2009-03-07 03:42 am   Permalink

Tropical ceiling fans are big right now for their cool, relaxing style and chic rattan blades. New contemporary ceiling fans are also making a splash with a good view like that... For more info just go here but i know this much cheaper than other ceiling fan industry...

View Profile of blue07 Send a personal message to blue07      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-07 7:40 pm   Permalink

I just bought a traditional fan at home depot but noticed a great nautical ceiling fan. I think it even had rope wrapped around it but I don't see it on their website. It was new and a lot more money.

This one is cool though.
here

or another

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2009-03-07 19:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2009-03-07 19:45 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue07

Posted: 2009-03-10 02:58 am   Permalink

Tropical ceiling fans are big right now for their cool, relaxing style and chic rattan blades. New contemporary ceiling fans are also making a splash with a good view like that...

[ This Message was edited by: blue07 2009-03-10 02:59 ]

View Profile of blue07 Send a personal message to blue07      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-26 4:45 pm   Permalink

I took a $30 Walmart fan, spray painted it copper, stenciled tikis on the blades, and netted a glass ball painted with "Gallery Glass Window Color" paint (Michael's Crafts) - Total cost, about $40. Yellow wasn't my favorite color, but being outside it is supposed to keep bugs away better.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 1:54 pm   Permalink

Cool!
Fan of tiki fans.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMoai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-27 2:55 pm   Permalink

My favorite Tiki Fan is manufactured by Monte Carlo. It's called the Mandalay model. Super quiet, super efficient, and totally tiki!

http://www.farreys.com/i/ceiling_fans_monte_carlo/fans_lg/5ml52fb.jpg

View Profile of TikiMoai Send a personal message to TikiMoai  Email TikiMoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 30 days ago; 09:11 am   Permalink

Reviving an old thread.

Any current recommendations for an indoor ceiling fan? I love the look of the Monte Carlo Mandalay but it appears it was discontinued awhile ago. I would prefer a fan with light.

Some examples i found so far:

Rick

[ This Message was edited by: rbeyer68 2017-10-25 09:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rbeyer68 2017-10-25 09:22 ]

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 30 days ago; 10:58 am   Permalink

Those are sleek looking! You can do a search for "palm leaf blades" for a more rustic look - I have one. Then I also have one with a huge spread - something like 60" which uses a dark natural wood for the blades. The light portion is too modern for tiki, but it can be adapted for other fixtures for a "blended" solution. Not an ideal answer, but a starting point because the "palm leaf blades" search will bring up a number of other designs and manufactures from which you can branch out and continue your search.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 11:06 am   Permalink

Check out what Prikli Pear did with the light.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=52009&forum=20&start=60&73

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 11:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the shout-out, Jefe! I have discovered in recent years (because of a move) that ceiling fans are very much like clothing or new cars--existing models are only produced for a few years then discontinued. Hampton Bay, Hunter, Harbor Breeze and the other big companies sell through all the big box stores, but will tweak the designs so that each one has an "exclusive" to offer. Mine's a Harbor Breeze 52" Waveport, bought from Lowe's, but Home Depot has something very similar at a comparable price point.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Harbor-Breeze-Waveport-52-in-Weathered-Bronze-Indoor-Outdoor-Downrod-Mount-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit/999913833

If you find a really cool fan online that's out of production, normally you're SOL. I got lucky on a fan for my office, because it had only just gone out of production last year, and I found it on a remaindered/clearance site for half it's original retail price. But several other fans I'd wanted prior to that one were long gone. Likewise, the links to ceiling fans on the first page of this thread are dead. They don't stick around long.

Since my tiki build is an outdoor covered patio, I was restricted to damp- or wet-rated fans. The Wife liked the faux leaves better than the faux-wicker blades, so this is the one we went with. Nautical-styled fans are very common now as well. Outdoor fans can be used indoors, but indoor fans aren't durable enough for exposure to the elements.

Some fans come with lighting fixtures. Others can accept aftermarket lights if you buy without. I assume there are some that can't take added lights, but I've never looked at those. Mine came with a bulky and boring lighting fixture. I came up with this shade/cover to better tikify it. Hanging float lamps would probably be the easiest to retrofit if your ceiling fan doesn't come with a light fixture. I saw someone do that farther up the thread. Red won't attract insects, and green doesn't attract many.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 11:34 am   Permalink

Amazingly, that bamboo-styled tiki fan Phil links to at the top of this page is still produced! That it's been available since 2008 is an eternity in ceiling fan years. That $329 price tag is a bit out of my budget, though.

http://www.palmfanstore.com/tiki-1.html

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation