[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ Sanctuary
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sanctuary
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-27 06:34 am   Permalink

Hello,

I am going to be building my first Tiki Bar (walls, thatch-roof, door style), and this site has a lot of good ideas to borrow from. I had originally planned to make a 12 foot by 8 foot 'L' shape bar in the corner of my screen enclosure right on the existing deck, but then I thought, why not put it on the outside of the screen enclosure, save deck space, and remove a screen panel for a window into it? So I guess my question is, does anyone have any experience with screen enclosures? I want to know if I could remove the mid span circled in my image, and if it would degrade the structural integrity of the enclosure. I would more than likely build it back with 2x4's, as the mid span is actually 42", which is bar height. I would remove the same mid span at the next opening as well, and build back a framed door. If anyone has experience in this and could chime in, that would be great.

This project is already green-lighted by the wife, so I just need to get past this planning phase and I'll start posting my step by step progression, including design plans. Thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: eroc 2018-07-31 06:25 ]

View Profile of eroc Send a personal message to eroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-27 2:47 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC eroc and have fun with your build! I would be leery of removing supports in that structure, there isn't much to it. If it's just those 2 crossbars and you replace them with another one higher or lower you might get away with it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-27 3:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the reply. I've actually moved the location, again...lol. It will be the same idea, but just another side of the enclosure. I think if I build up the structure braced against the current vertical support beams before dismantling the enclosure in any way, I should be able to then remove the horizontal ones. "Should" being the operative word. Again, I will be replacing one horizontal beam with a bartop that spans the same distance, and the other one will have a framed door which should technically be structurally stronger than the original aluminum beams. I'm working on design plans now. Will post more.

View Profile of eroc Send a personal message to eroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-11-27 9:36 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC. There are so many cool lounges in this thread. Very talented builders and decorators. This is a good thread to read as you get started with your project. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43018&forum=20&90

Have fun and post pictures along the way.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-12-17 12:26 pm   Permalink

(Edit: 2018 - Removed all the gobbledygook pictures that have no bearing on the current direction of this project.)

[ This Message was edited by: eroc 2015-12-17 12:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: eroc 2015-12-17 12:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: eroc 2018-07-16 05:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: eroc 2018-07-16 09:05 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-18 7:50 pm   Permalink

Looks good, have fun!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-01-05 09:28 am   Permalink

This will be a fun one to watch! Post pics of the new site when you can.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-05 11:30 am   Permalink

Are we going to stand around talking about which gauge of nails to use now?
get to it, man!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-16 05:10 am   Permalink

It's been awhile.....

Should I do this? Should I do that? Eighteen months of inner battles. Lurking. Gathering ideas. Banging my head, and not to metal music, but against vertical objects.

Well, the project is officially underway. And it's got a complete makeover from my first plan.

To make things easy for me (also for the safety of me and those I love), I'm going through a shed company to build an 8' x 16' lean-to style structure. It will be set back 5' from my screen enclosure. I will then be personally building a deck and a 16' x 5' canopy between the shed and my screen enclosure, which I may lose life or limb or both in the process.

With an 8' opening in the lean-to, that will server as my bar space. I will be stealing, borrowing, and hacking several ideas I have seen in this forum for decorations.

Shed is in permitting. Support beams of canopy are being 'designed'. What follows may horrify you.

Prepare for a complete amateur expedition.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-16 05:16 am   Permalink

Might be finished by your 80th birthday party.

Good luck.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-16 05:20 am   Permalink

Beginning design of the support posts for the canopy

Watching their brother be born....

What did you do during the World Cup? I carved wood.

First two almost complete. Still adding sealant.

To be honest, the design in my head didn't translate to the real world. I suspect I am going to be running into that issue quite often during this project. Still getting used to the router. Never used one before.

Who knows, I may just trash these and start over. Brutally honest comments are welcome. I have no feelings.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-16 9:11 pm   Permalink

Eroc, Itís your Tiki Space. Do what you like. I like what Iíve seen so far fwiw. Looking forward to your next post.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-17 06:02 am   Permalink

Thanks. Will start to get more and more pictures once permitting is done with the City. Right now just doing some prep work. It's going to be a mixture of tiki, modern, and maybe some dragons. Who knows. I've seen several things on this forum that I absolutely love, so I've already got a few plans in the works. But I also want my own personal touch on it as well. I just going to organically grow this, and see how it turns out.

HodagHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-23 8:56 pm   Permalink

Eroc -

Don't be afraid of the router, and let your hands go where your mind thinks the design should be. I kept telling myself it had to be perfect, and then it dawned on me - Nobody from the Official Tiki Police is going to come and tell me it's wrong.

Literally anything you do will be appreciated by your friends and family. Chances are, you're the only person they've ever seen do anything like this!

Good Luck!

View Profile of HodagHut Send a personal message to HodagHut  Email HodagHut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eroc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-26 6:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips! The first post I was definitely a little nervous, but it has been getting easier to use the router. Changing bits, getting the depth right, etc.

Unfortunately, the City has come back and denied my permit due to setbacks, after I went to their office, twice, to confirm I could do what I needed to do. Frustrating. But, it looks like I can still do it, but need to push it out 10 feet from the screen enclosure. Doable, but now I have to do a little more redesign, and my deck space just doubled. Glass half full or half empty at this point, lol.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation