FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki bar scene in old (or not so old) movie
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
tiki bar scene in old (or not so old) movie
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-04 3:32 pm   Permalink

I just watched Orgasmo (the Trey Parker movie and if you haven't seen it you simply must!) a while back. One of the scenes has a girl tied up to a couple of tiki statues.

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-20 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-11 11:16, Kailuageoff wrote:
Watched a completely excellent movie last night called "The Breaking Point" with John Garfield. It's based on Hemingway's To Have and Have Not. There is a Bogart film by the same title, but I guess that one doesn't really follow Papa's book.
Anyway, there is a bar scene shot in a town called Newport, California that has lots of bamboo, fishing floats and oher nautical stuff. I didn't see any tikis, but the bar had a great look.

I finally got a chance to see this great movie "The BReaking Point" last night at the San Francisco Film Noir Festival. Much of the movie was shot in Newport Beach, and the bar was in fact Christian's Hut. Gleaned from searches on TC I found out the bar was built in Catalina for the movie Mutiny on the Bounty in 1935, moved to Newport Beach soon after filming, and torn down in the 70s. There's a good scene of front of the bar and several minutes shot inside the bar. Here's a picture of the scene with John Garfield's character drinking Old Crow with Patricia Neal's character (she is a real hot number in the movie).

The movie is not on video or DVD but Bongofury posted in the past that he has a copy.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-01-20 17:52 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 6:46 pm   Permalink

Wow, keen detective work! I'm sorry I couldn't make it out to the Palace last night...after ignoring him for most of my adult life, I suddenly have a colossal crush on John Garfield. Go figure.

And happy news: you CAN get this film on VHS or DVD from our friends at
www.noirfilm.com. Only $17 collector-to-collector including shipping! (Costs go down if you add more titles to your purchase, and they do international sales as well.) They are an amazing resource for out-of-print/rare/forgotten film noir. Plus, they have free, fun screenings many Thursday nights in SF. Another cool group well worth connecting up with!

darkly yours,
tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-06-12 21:46, suicide_sam wrote:
I recently caught Steve Martin's "The Man With Two Brains" on cabel and caught something I had always missed. At the door that goes into the laboratory where the brain transfers occur, on the floor to the right of the door there is a Moai about a foot and a half big. I love all the old Steve Martin movies and when I caught this I couldm't believe I had never seen it before.

Sorry if someone else has mentioned this, I came in late to this thread.....

Not only is there a pretty cool Moai at the entrance to the lab, but when Steve Martin is asked if he would like a drink he asks for a Tahitian Tingle. And, in case you missed it, the butler asks him to confirm his request. A few minutes later, the butler comes out with a pilsner glass with a flaming drink in it. It is even funnier when you realize that the glass is glued to the tray because the butler spills the flaming drink onto the tray and floor in the next seen when he starts poking holes in the door.

I guess you had to be there..........

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 08:05 am   Permalink

Mahalo Jabber...
Christian's Hut. How cool. I love classic films. When they feature scenes with tiki bars, so much the better.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 08:18 am   Permalink

If any of you go to Catalina, go to the Isthmus. Go to the bar and look around. There are still signs of Christians Hut there. I re-did the place about 10 years ago. It's in a Tiki News article also. They have a lot of great pics of the town during the filming of the movies, in the bar too.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-31 1:20 pm   Permalink

The COURAGEOUS CAT & MINUTE MOUSE episode, "Case of The Hawaiian Holiday" from 1963 has some tiki-ish imagery:

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 6:00 pm   Permalink

1937...Ever Since Eve

Marion Davies (William Randolph Hearst's infamous luva)
Robert Montgomery (Elizabeth's Dad)

I don't know if the name of the club is the Equator Club in the movie or if it was a real place or not.
But the scenes in the Equator Club were pretty nice. Palm trees, gobs of bamboo everywhere...definately pre tiki mugs though...none to be seen. The typical
glitter-y vintage Hollywood Polynesian dream supper club. Dorthy Thompson does a sweet hula to the tune Wreath Of Flowers written by Hoopi Haaia.
Movie is nice xtra light hearted entertainment.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2006-01-31 18:02 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 6:53 pm   Permalink

My children forced me to watch Pixar's The Incredibles again recently and I noticed something. In the conferance with the lava curtian in the back there is a huge Moai head.

Mr. Incredible is going to use it the get into Syndrome's computer and the curtian opens and he has to put it back and hide in one scene.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 3:39 pm   Permalink

Not sure if this has been posted before, but Marian and I just saw a lengthy scene shot in a heavily bambooed and fish-netted tiki bar in the 1949 Jimmy Stewart movie, the Stratton Story. It was a black and white film shown today on the Turner Classic Movies channel. I'm thinking the bar might have been Don the Beachcomber's in Hollywood. The funny thing is they were playing a great version of "Pagan Love Song" in the background. It had great jazzy, exotica feel complete with vibes and piano. Very Martin Denny sounding, but kind of early for exotica.
KG says, "check it out!"

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-02-24 15:41 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 4:42 pm   Permalink

Not a real old movie...
Envy....starring Ben Stiller and Jack Black and Christopher Walken....2004

Ben Stiller in a generic nothing interesting neighborhood bar. He asks the bartender to bring him something that people drink to get drunk. The bartender brings him a drink in a pineapple with lots of doohickeys and baubles in it and hanging on it.
Christopher Walken decides to start up a conversation with Ben Stiller, when Walken sits next to Stiller at the bar, sitting on the bar right in from of Walken is a ...volcano bowl...
Not terribly exciting, but it was there none the less.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 06:54 am   Permalink

There was a really well done show on Masterpiece Theather several years ago called "Danger UXB". Very realistic and technical about the real adventures of a bomb disposal officer during WWII in Britan. It is on DVD now if anyone is interested.

Anyway in the opening of one episode you are in a tiki strip club called the "Wakiki Club" in c1941 London. During a raid it takes a hit from a bomb but there is no explosion. So most of the show takes place inside the club as they dig out and defuse the bomb. This episode also remains one of the few time I saw topless girls dancing on TV in the 1970s and on PBS.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 07:25 am   Permalink

"Its A Wonderful Life"

George Bailey is running down Main Street of the town, now called Pottersville as George does not exist. The street is lined with dance halls, pawn shops, and taverns (you know fun stuff). One of the places is the Bamboo Room. He does not go in, but you briefly hear Polynesian music.

"My Favorite Martian"

I have seen two episodes where they spend an evening in a Tiki bar. Very funny and cool to see the vintage scene.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 08:01 am   Permalink

In The Pink Panther's A Shot In The Dark there is a sequence where Peter Sellers and Elke Summers are doing the town and one of the stops is a Tiki bar with hula dancers and a few blurry totem poles in the background. Not sure if it's a sound stage or on location but I don't think it's in Paris

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-24 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-05-02 17:18, martiki wrote:
I also seem to remember the generally terrible 1989 film "Loverboy" with Patrick Dempsey ended in a tiki bar. It also features Kirstie Alley, Kate Jackson, and Princess Leia. Can anyone else confirm this?

-Martin

Martiki,
I know you've been losing sleep over this for 4+ years, but the answer is YES! I was just flipping channels and saw the grand finale slapstick fight-scene. The credits called the restaurant "Tiki Joe's". Nice looking place. Cool floor-to-ceiling volcano feature.
Based on 15 seconds viewing, "generally terible" might be generous. The giant clamshell of punch was used to douse a toupee set aflame by a pupu hibachi. Hard to top that.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation