FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-07 11:53 am   Permalink

The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t_HZ7Mn_8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCC6m3cFp6I

Did not want to put this in locating tiki because I'm not reaaly in the know on this one.

But it's odd nobody posted anything here on TC bout it.
or maybe they have and I missed it.
Looks like they put some large dollars into it.

While it's not done yet the tiki is sparse and some of what you can see is Pier 1
like stuff.
Is a Giraffe tiki?
Oh well we will see, they need more tiki lights that is for sure.

Hey Rhum Portland (Maine) bar Three words, Amber light bulbs, that was a freebie.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-07 12:38 pm   Permalink

here's a link to Eater article on them:
http://maine.eater.com/2015/9/18/9351839/rhum-tiki-bar-portland-maine-confirmed-jason-loring-fifth-food-group

and what their mugs will look like:
http://maine.eater.com/2015/12/15/10160646/rhum-tiki-bar-mugs-portland-maine-photos#5560881

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-07 12:57 pm   Permalink

The mugs are cool.
Thanx for adding that.

So your from broken arrow?
Is that not code for an accidental nuclear event involving nuclear weapons, warheads, or components but which does not create the risk of mass death?

Or maybe a different broken arrow?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-07 2:10 pm   Permalink

that is code for that, however in my case it just means a broken stick with feathers

Quote:

On 2016-02-07 12:57, tikiskip wrote:
The mugs are cool.
Thanx for adding that.

So your from broken arrow?
Is that not code for an accidental nuclear event involving nuclear weapons, warheads, or components but which does not create the risk of mass death?

Or maybe a different broken arrow?

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 09:42 am   Permalink

Here is another article on Rhum...
Open now?

Looks like they did not find those amber light bulbs.
Lets hope it was flash for the camera.
http://pierce.bangordailynews.com/2016/02/07/home/portland-tiki-lounge-opens-in-the-heart-of-winter/

JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 10:03 am   Permalink

Mai Tais on draft?!? WTH is that?!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-08 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-08 10:03, JenTiki wrote:

I'm more worried about the Jungle Bird "on draft." The bar back looks rather cheap: $99 Costco wire shelving that I have in my garage. Hope the place is a success though.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 10:33 am   Permalink

They did spend tons on the kitchen can see that.
The tiki décor is not so great.

"Hope the place is a success though"

Have heard that we should support any tiki bar from a local here as it's
"the right thing to do"
For me not going to support anything that sucks.

This place is new, and I do hope it works out because any good tiki bar is a good thing.

Dam Rhum lighting is important in any bar, the lighting in the videos burns yer eyes looks like.

Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-08 10:50 am   Permalink

Rhum bar article states the operation is a "refined take on Tiki". These guys could really use a Humuhumu Tiki bar seminar!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-08 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-08 10:03, JenTiki wrote:

I've seen cocktails on draft more and more. Lei Low here in Houston have their Mai Tai and version of a Dark and Stormy on draft.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-08 10:50, Thortiki wrote:
Rhum bar article states the operation is a "refined take on Tiki".

Tiki has not only been revived, but it is also being re-invented in both "good" and "worse" flavors.
We see that there is evolution going on, and it's not necessarily good. Hell, we have that damned Jimmy Buffett "Florida tiki" to contend with here, so some de-evolution of tiki is no surprise. It just makes the good authentic guys look so much more good.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-08 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-08 11:27, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-02-08 10:50, Thortiki wrote:
Rhum bar article states the operation is a "refined take on Tiki".

Tiki has not only been revived, but it is also being re-invented in both "good" and "worse" flavors.
We see that there is evolution going on, and it's not necessarily good. Hell, we have that damned Jimmy Buffett "Florida tiki" to contend with here, so some de-evolution of tiki is no surprise. It just makes the good authentic guys look so much more good.

I saw that in the article as well. I feel the only thing you can do is just keep directing friends, old and new, to good Tiki. I have had great success when I have taken the time to explain what Tiki really is all about and not act like an elite and make fun of them.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 11:46 am   Permalink

Roger that, El Jefe!

I'm still thinking about this... A tiki bar in Maine? A W E S O M E !! Maybe they'll start out like this, taste some success, and then be able to refine it some more. You never know when a proprietor has a really shoestring budget, or is afraid to commit and has to wait a while. So I'm really of the opinion that we should support and help these guys. For all we know they're reading this thread (I'd be googling my new place) and learning from us. On the other hand, if they don't care about the tiki, and it's just about making money and having fun, then they may not change much if at all. Let's hope they at least don't have sports TVs and pool tables.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-08 11:49 am   Permalink

The problem with "refined take on Tiki" to me is those places mostly look
like a new Starbucks with a few tiki thrown in and some float lights.
Plus for me the old grungy tiki is my style.
That or Mai Kai/ Kahiki.

Then ya got the ten dollar or more drinks.
Would rather have not so great drinks at half that price and drink all night.

Have found that when you mix sweet and sour with other stuff it's ok for a bit,
say few hours.
But if it stays mixed for long the acid may kinda taint the drink.
So if they burn through the drinks and don't keep the mix long it may be ok.
Chi Chis (Mexican) here put the Long Island ice teas on a gun, they were good.

El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-08 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-08 11:46, AceExplorer wrote:
Roger that, El Jefe!

I'm still thinking about this... A tiki bar in Maine? A W E S O M E !! Maybe they'll start out like this, taste some success, and then be able to refine it some more. You never know when a proprietor has a really shoestring budget, or is afraid to commit and has to wait a while. So I'm really of the opinion that we should support and help these guys. For all we know they're reading this thread (I'd be googling my new place) and learning from us. On the other hand, if they don't care about the tiki, and it's just about making money and having fun, then they may not change much if at all. Let's hope they at least don't have sports TVs and pool tables.

I agree Ace. I nominate you as the Tiki Central New Bar Outreach Ambassador.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation