FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-09 11:19 am   Permalink

Don't like it when you can see the light bulb myself.
Unless it's one of those Edison bulbs, they have a soft glow to them.

They have like 15 five star ratings from what one would guess is the soft opening
since they were there before the first day they were open.

So at least their friends like the place.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-09 8:15 pm   Permalink

I'm not a fan of that wallpaper or sconce, but I wish them luck.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-11 07:51 am   Permalink

Here are some new vids of Rhum.
The wallpaper is in the barthroom.
And the TVs with fish videos are cool really.

Did notice that they have reviews from December like months before they
opened or did a soft opening.
Something smells fishy and it’s not the TVs.

Did look not so bright in new Vids.

Rhum Food + Grog (Portland, Maine) Walkthrough. Part 1 of 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZ7Ko46M3g

Rhum Food + Grog (Portland, Maine) Walkthrough. Part 2 of 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5EmDMSbeE

Rhum Food + Grog (Portland, Maine) Walkthrough. Part 3 of 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVruCByAghE

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-11 08:18 am   Permalink

We've discussed fake reviews before -- by the new owners of the old Bahooka space on Yelp. Except in their case it drew a bunch of criticism and often funny replies, many of which were deleted by Yelp.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-02-11 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-11 07:51, tikiskip wrote:
Did look not so bright in new Vids.

The first vid you linked to has a note in the description: "My apologies for the dim lighting. I inadvertently disabled the spot meter on the GoPro which makes the bar area quite dark." So it may still be brighter than it looks in the videos.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 12:33 am   Permalink

Any follow-up on this place?

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-17 12:43 pm   Permalink

Looks like its scoring so so reviews on yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rhum-portland )-:

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 12:54 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't put too much faith in yelp reviews.

How many times have they been sued for extortion? 5+ times in their 6 years in business?

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2016-04-17 12:55 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 1:11 pm   Permalink

And some of the good reviews are from a FEZ wearing group.

"Good times and definitely worth a return trip. Photos linked below.
Remember to show them some love on Facebook folks! That seafood tower was on the house after all"...
Who's going to rip on you after $80.00 or so dollars of free seafood.

If your reviews are so-so and you have this group padding your reviews, then reviews may be even worse in reality.

The local bar here gets this kind of help with reviews and still has kinda not good reviews after the padded good reviews.
Bad service is a constant rip they get as well, the locals who love the place are the ones who keep other regular customers from getting service as they chat with the help.

The owners should look at the reviews and try to fix the problems that the every day customer states.

Make your tiki bar actually a great place to go, fake reviews from your friends and tiki nutz won't keep your place in business.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 1:53 pm   Permalink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlR_ccnZww

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 2:30 pm   Permalink

Yeah I saw that and it is funny.
Plus it's true that not all customers are right.
But when you have a pattern of bad reviews like say service is bad, well that
probably holds water.

And in these cases it's the fake good reviews that are greater in numbers.
Can only guess they are fake but some came in when they were not open and the one site says "hey we got something free give them good marks".

We had many regulars at my restaurant and they all said great things and that's nice, but if you have a problem and they let you know you can fix it so that a person who does not know you won't never come back because of said problem.

We had soup at our place and the cook forgot to turn on the warmer but none of the four people who got kinda warm soup did not tell us as they did not want to offend us, but hey that is an easy fix and we want to know about things we can fix.

Even the bad things we can't fix like my crazy sister.

I think pointing out the bad stuff can be helpful.

BUT I never yelp or do Facebook reviews just so ya know.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 3:07 pm   Permalink

Certainly feedback is helpful! Businesses should listen to it.

Seems these days that people only take the time to post negative reviews, even though the other 100,000 people had a great experience they might not have posted any reviews. I have found that when people post negative reviews, they tend to lie about at least one aspect of the review to make it sound a little worse than how the transaction actually happened.

I do not write reviews either and I try my best to never talk badly about any tiki bars. I will promote the good bars and ignore the bad ones. Even with my Instagram account, I made an early decision to not post negative remarks about places, I just won't promote the places that are not good in my opinion.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 4:26 pm   Permalink

"I try my best to never talk badly about any tiki bars. I will promote the good bars and ignore the bad ones. Even with my Instagram account, I made an early decision to not post negative remarks about places, I just won't promote the places that are not good in my opinion."

I know I have not been great to this one but one I don't feel this is really a tiki bar, and two I have said some good things as well.
But heck I have never even been there.

Also the one place that was in town some people were saying "this place is great"
But it was not that great and myself I did not want to say "this place is great" and have folks come all the way from say far away and go "thanks for wasting my time".
But they did get better and in the end still went out.
Too bad towards the end it was a at least good tiki bar.

Fez Moai
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-17 11:41 pm   Permalink

I just read the Yelp reviews and they're all over the place from 1 to 5 stars.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-18 04:47 am   Permalink

I have heard statements like...
"support any Tiki Establishment! It's the right thing to do!!

So this begs the question, is it the right thing to do?
Having a "tiki" bar that sucks and may have bad drinks that cost a lot, or bad décor, service ect.
Does this have a chance of making those who do not know tiki say "wow that sucks" "why do people like that"

Or if tiki bars fail over and over will people wanting to open a bar say I'm not going to do tiki as they mostly fail.

Could Crappy tiki become what tiki is now seen as?
Redefine it in a way.

Does any of this matter?

For me a "tiki bar that sucks may as well be Party City as I'm not into that.
AND while talking about Party City that's "tiki" should we support that too as "It's the right thing to do!!"

Buffet is "Tiki" support that too as "It's the right thing to do!!"

Good luck Tiki Barber, I support you as "It's the right thing to do!!"

Remember Adam Ant, Cyndi Lauper were called "punk", and punk died shortly after that.

Just food for thought.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation