FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
The bar at Rhum Portland (Maine) Prepares To Open
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-04-18 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-18 04:47, tikiskip wrote:
I have heard statements like...
"support any Tiki Establishment! It's the right thing to do!!

So this begs the question, is it the right thing to do?
Having a "tiki" bar that sucks and may have bad drinks that cost a lot, or bad décor, service ect.
Does this have a chance of making those who do not know tiki say "wow that sucks" "why do people like that"

Or if tiki bars fail over and over will people wanting to open a bar say I'm not going to do tiki as they mostly fail.

Could Crappy tiki become what tiki is now seen as?
Redefine it in a way.

I struggle with this as well. I really don't want to encourage the non-initiated friends to go to "bad" tiki bars, because I want them to understand what tiki is, not the bastardized version that some bars claim is tiki. I cannot in good conscience support a bar that degrades the genre.

I have coworkers come to me and say "Hey, I had drinks at a tiki bar this weekend!" First I ask what tiki bar they're referring to. Usually the answer goes something like this: it was this little bar on the beach with a thatched roof and a sign that said it's a tiki bar. Generally these places serve margaritas and brightly colored slushy daiquiris. I then take the time to patiently explain that it's not a tiki bar just because the owners choose to call it that, and try to explain the difference(s).

I just really don't want people thinking that crap is tiki! I'm also afraid that when a really good tiki bar does open, the people who've been only to the bad ones will assume the new one is also bad and won't bother to go.

I think we should all do our part to nudge bar owners in the right direction if we're in a position to do so, but if they can't be budged, take our tiki business elsewhere.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-18 08:46 am   Permalink

I would hope the owner does take Yelp reviews to heart. IMO its the Joe & Jane average that would keep this place in Portland ME in business.

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-03 11:39 am   Permalink

And they're closed:

http://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/02/no-more-room-for-rhum/

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-03 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-03 11:39, bamalamalu wrote:
And they're closed:

That is a shame. I was there in October and thought the drinks were great and the food good. They weren't over the top tiki but the place had a good vibe.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-03 4:08 pm   Permalink

I don't know if that is bad or good.
For tiki that is.

Do feel bad for the owners as they put a ton of money in that place, AND don't kid yourself the landlord will want every dime of the rent until the place is rented again.
In this day and age these sharp landlords try to get you into a ten year lease too, some want profit sharing, if you are stupid the lease will kill you before you open.

BUT I don't think I would have gone here much at all.

There is a group of tiki folks that went and posted this where not many could see it....
"Good times and definitely worth a return trip. Photos linked below.
Remember to show them some love on Facebook folks! That seafood tower was on the house after all"
And these people hated the Taso Kahiki era until they gave some money to help some tiki thing.

SO I ask you this is it better to be honest and say "this place is not so great" or is the price of your integrity a "Seafood tower"
I'm sure this place thought that this group would pack their bar to the gills.

Now there are places that I have gone to and try not to say anything so I can keep honest.
AND people would PM me and ask about a place and I could tell them the truth.

I liked the Tropical Bistro but that was because I liked Theag and Soung plus they gave me booze and that is the way to my heart, BUT I would tell people that I liked it for those reasons but that it was getting better.
AND it was five mins from my house and right next to the Lowes hardware I went to all the time.

For me I don't want to be the reason somebody takes a long trip to some loser tiki bar and it's not so great.

So what do you say?
"love EVERY tiki bar" (especially the ones who give us money)
Or "Tell the truth to your fellow tiki nutz" so they don't get burned buying crappy frozen Kahiki food, or driving from afar to see this crappy place.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-03 4:12 pm   Permalink

They lost $10k in stolen tiki mugs?!? Damn.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-03 4:27 pm   Permalink

They lost $10k in stolen tiki mugs?!? Damn.

At what point do you say "Lets lock these mugs down and sell them with the drinks or you don't get a mug"

To me the number is fat or the people were not keeping track of what was going on in their bar.
Nobody says "we went out because we did not do a good job and blew it"

It is harder to make it that business today I will say that for them.
Rents are higher, payrolls are higher, theft is higher, integrity and honesty is lower.

But damn one year? How many mugs did they order?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-03 4:34 pm   Permalink

"The initial run will be around 200, and each mug represents dozens of hours of active work and kiln time; the artists "anticipate it will take us about four weeks for the two of us to complete from start to finish." Lest guests try to pocket the unique cups — as is so often the case at bars"

Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-03 6:13 pm   Permalink

I was under the impression that the entire point of mugs was to have something that your patrons could take home with them. Looking at the comments, seems there was more going wrong than just some mugs going missing over time. Shame.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-03 7:31 pm   Permalink

Those mugs were not slip cast. Or if they were then each one was modified by hand. If they charged them $50 a piece and they did order 200 then there's your $10,000 in mugs.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-04 07:07 am   Permalink

Well I would guess not EVERY mug was stolen.
They had to sell at least a few.

And a mug wholesale to the bar could not cost $50.00 bucks, damn they need to make something what did they sell for.

They were cool mugs, I would have bought one or more.

And damn they say right there in the article " Lest guests try to pocket the unique cups — as is so often the case at bars"
So it's not like they were blindsided.

Things change in the restaurant everyday and especially at the start so you need to adapt so you don't lose money.
If they were a success would they just go on losing ten thousand a year in mugs.

How does three Dots Do it? they have many different COOL mugs there must be a solution.

"each mug represents dozens of hours of active work and kiln time"
This is a recipe for disaster here as two people could not keep up with demand at some point they would get tired of that.

It's the bartenders that do the real stealing most times, they give the place away in free drinks and heavy pours so that free drink and heavy pour turns into a heavy tip.

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-04 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-04 07:07, tikiskip wrote:
Well I would guess not EVERY mug was stolen.
They had to sell at least a few.

And a mug wholesale to the bar could not cost $50.00 bucks, damn they need to make something what did they sell for.

They were cool mugs, I would have bought one or more.

And damn they say right there in the article " Lest guests try to pocket the unique cups — as is so often the case at bars"
So it's not like they were blindsided.

Things change in the restaurant everyday and especially at the start so you need to adapt so you don't lose money.
If they were a success would they just go on losing ten thousand a year in mugs.

How does three Dots Do it? they have many different COOL mugs there must be a solution.

"each mug represents dozens of hours of active work and kiln time"
This is a recipe for disaster here as two people could not keep up with demand at some point they would get tired of that.

It's the bartenders that do the real stealing most times, they give the place away in free drinks and heavy pours so that free drink and heavy pour turns into a heavy tip.

^^^^^^^^^^The Truth has been spoken. You all know my take.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation