FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 3:52 pm   Permalink

Sorry to say, I don't have good photos of these. I used to, from some or other import website which had them...until I went to buy some and they weren't there any more.

Both versions have the main part built exactly like a paper parasol pick, except that two of the umbrellas are attached at their wide ends, forming a 'paper lantern.' One version, and I actually have 5 of these (one of each color) from an estate sale, have the lantern mounted at the end of a long wooden pick; they came 'closed' (narrow) like a parasol pick, and when the lower end was pushed up the stick, it opens/widens the lantern.

The others are pictured (though small) in this post:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35643&forum=5&vpost=513305
There's a blue one in the Hilton Hawaiian Village menu, on the Tapa Punch, and in this post:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34296&forum=5&vpost=491060
They're on all four middle mugs in the top row. They have a long bamboo or wood pick that's curved at one end. The tip of the curved end has a 'lantern' suspended on a bit of string. I REALLY want to find these.

Does anybody know who sells these, or have a pack of them I could buy? I don't imagine I'd use a lot of them, but once in a while they'd be great!

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 6:25 pm   Permalink

When i first saw the hanging style, right away i knew i wanted some and thought i'd be able track some down when i visited the U.S. but easier said than done.
In 2014 driving from Florida to Texas we came across two thrift stores in the middle of nowhere (i'm not sure if it was still in Florida or Alabama or even Mississippi) and my partner found three packets hanging on a rack in one of them. From memory each pack had a sticker saying $5 on it, which i was willing to pay no problem, but that was obviously the original new price as they only ended up costing 50c each.

Unfortunately when we opened them they turned out to be just the 'pick' style. (The picture on the packet showed the hanging style).

When i got back home and posted about them somewhere, a friend said she had some of the hanging style which she was kind enough to give me a few of. I think she said she bought them several years ago off eBay and they had actually come from the U.K.

Good luck with your hunt TorchGuy.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 6:39 pm   Permalink

I bought a vintage package of them off of etsy 2-3 years ago.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 9:39 pm   Permalink

I have some somewhere in the Sharkbite Bar. Ill post a pic as soon as I find em. I have no idea where I got them. They are unlike the ones pictured.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-23 10:11 pm   Permalink

Wow those are rad. How did I not know these existed before now? Time to search the Internet for some...

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 02:49 am   Permalink

I had some awhile back but can't seem to find them in my area again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 04:45 am   Permalink

They look easy enough to make. I'll try to rig one up and post a pic.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 08:03 am   Permalink

Thanks to everyone who replied with information! I'll keep hunting (on eBay and Etsy), and if anyone finds some spares they'd let go, let me know.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 09:54 am   Permalink

Ah, what the hell, as long as I'm making things, I should try this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck69TvG3xnQ

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 5:17 pm   Permalink

http://www.dynastywholesale.com/pics.html

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-24 8:32 pm   Permalink

I think I got some at party city maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-25 09:46 am   Permalink

"7 or 8 years ago" sounds about right for when I found them on Oriental Trading Co's website, but as soon as I returned to buy them, they weren't there any more. I've asked several party stores in my area, and no one I asked says they've seen these, though they all have the normal umbrellas.

I just tried eBay and Etsy, and looked through eBay's closed auctions, but no terms I searched brought up any. The closest I've found are two links through Google Images showing the non-hanging variety, both for Chinese manufacturers and both of the "here's a zillion things we make, please send us business inquiries, minimum order 10,000 units" sort.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2016-02-25 10:33 am   Permalink

Here's a lead:
http://www.bragio-plastics.com/eng/fullpic/papir-13.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-25 10:59 am   Permalink

So someone (in Serbia) still makes them! Excellent. I tried searching for "hanging lantern picks," and the only other result is a company selling the same thing, but with a cheap honeycomb crepe paper thing.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-02-25 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-24 04:45, tikigreg wrote:
They look easy enough to make. I'll try to rig one up and post a pic.

I'm with Greg. Looks like 2 partially opened umbrellas joined together. The hard part is curving the stick it hangs from.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation