FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-16 03:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-16 02:36, tikiskip wrote:
Yes those are cool...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Vintage-Honeycomb-Paper-Lantern-Christmas-Tree-Ornaments-/222020576522?hash=item33b175250a:g:QEMAAOSwQYZWu5V5

Or buy this and make a bunch of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HONEYCOMB-GARLAND-PAPER-AND-ORNAMENTS-JAPAN-MERCURY-GLASS-GARLAND-8-/262287731596?hash=item3d11912b8c:g:qjcAAOSwajVUOsdZ

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-05-16 02:49 ]

A-HA! Somehow I knew you'd have the magic search string to find more of them. Such a shame though that the ones that have survived are so weathered. The examples from that ebay auction are in comparatively good shape.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-16 03:34 am   Permalink

I did add a picture to the last one.
But yeah the coolest stuff is so delicate, seems like we just don't make that kind of stuff anymore.

Um, Japan does not make that kind of stuff anymore.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-16 03:39 am   Permalink

VINTAGE HONEYCOMB GARLAND PAPER Looks like the way to find these paper globes via ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HONEYCOMB-GARLAND-PAPER-AND-MERCURY-GLASS-BEADS-ORIGINAL-TAG-9-2-/121979049967?hash=item1c668497ef:g:Xi0AAOSwmmxW4krD

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-18 3:19 pm   Permalink

Origami Maniacs 95: Beautiful Japanese Umbrellas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhnsefJEN8

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-05-18 15:20 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-19 4:59 pm   Permalink

Made some different styles of Lantern umbrella picks guess this is as good a place as any to post them.

Thanks Bam Bam for posting the ones from eBay as they gave me some good ideas.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-19 5:01 pm   Permalink

Those are pretty amazing Skip!

Now you just have to mass produce them

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-19 6:29 pm   Permalink

I got these for Mother's day gift from World Market.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-19 10:57 pm   Permalink

Hey Skip, Regarding your latest creations, my wife says “how cute”. I say way cool!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-20 02:56 am   Permalink

"Now you just have to mass produce them"

Thanks and I can't help but think of the people in some far away land that
make things like this for a living as I make these.
but in order to sell them as cheap as they do they need to pay them next to nothing to the worker and I'm sure they are paid by the number they make, pennies a day.

But they are fun to make if your life does not depend on it.

Thanks nui 'umi 'umi cool or cute I'll take it.

Making a small Skip float version.

I saw those too hiltiki did you see the Ice skewers they had got those while we were there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ice+Kabobs+Ice+Cube+Tray&oq=Ice+Kabobs+Ice+Cube+Tray&aqs=chrome..69i57.1497j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Ice+Kabobs+Ice+Cube+Tray&tbm=shop

Polly_Nesia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-05 6:27 pm   Permalink

Those umbrella creations of yours are fabulous Tikiskip. I'd need to work with a magnifying glass to do my own.

I did want to add that the cheapest place I've seen umbrellas recently is Walmart, 144 for 4.79 and free pickup:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tropical-Drink-Umbrella-Picks-144ct-Assorted-Colors/35761331

Read your tutorial on the different sized umbrellas. Nice, thanks for all the pics. Didn't see anything on the poles. Were they bamboo skewers soaked for a long time and simply shaped? Do they just stay that way or do you have to keep them positioned to dry that way. Soaked many of them for grilling but never played with them.

[ This Message was edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-06-05 18:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polly_Nesia 2016-06-05 18:42 ]

View Profile of Polly_Nesia Send a personal message to Polly_Nesia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-10 5:45 pm   Permalink

Oh man, those a superb!

I was thinking of other "exotic" things you could use as a hanging garnish like that, and miniature Chinese good luck knots came to mind:

And sometimes (for prosperity) they even get tied into the shape of pineapples!

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-15 09:31 am   Permalink

Sorry to take so long getting back to you Polly_Nesia, great name by the way.
There has been this bright thing in the sky for days now, I think people in California call it "the sun" does not happen too often here so I was outside in this thing "sun".

It is grey and rainy today we know of "grey and rainy"
Grey and rainy Suck.

"Didn't see anything on the poles. Were they bamboo skewers"
No, the bamboo skewers Won't bend that well you need to get rattan from Franks cane and rush.

Will show how to do the napkins soon.

Bam Bam those are cool they would work well.

Here are a few more I made, not to worry these are the last for a while.

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-15 10:59 pm   Permalink

Keep em coming Mister Nimble Fingers. Great stuff!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-16 2:45 pm   Permalink

Boom! Thread resurrected!

I decided that since we're having a 1960's Christmas Dinner this year we should have some 1960's garnishes along with our drinks. It's too late to search for and order proper lantern picks, so it's time to make some!

In this version it comes down to removing the pick from one cocktail umbrella and re-attaching it to the underside of another.

Then all you have to do is hang it from a boiled and bent skewer. Relatively simple, if a little finnicky.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-16 10:26 pm   Permalink

Kool
Ya made me thirsty

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation