FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Kilauea Cove - Featured on Critiki!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Kilauea Cove - Featured on Critiki!
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-09 08:47 am   Permalink

Thanks, harro!

I think I did get the fog reservoir worked out last weekend with a temporary setup (no pictures, alas), but installing it and final testing more will have to wait until I'm back from The Hukilau.
Kilauea Cove

View Profile of bobtiki Send a personal message to bobtiki  Email bobtiki Goto the website of bobtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2017-04-25 6:19 pm   Permalink

Sooo… since the volcano just got featured on Critiki today (squeeeee!), I figured I ought to wrap up this making-of thread!

Here's a video of the volcano in action, with sound, smoke, and lights:
https://youtu.be/sU4Sf7rrq_E

I did a full write-up of the making-of on my Vixen Labs blog:
https://vixenlabs.com/2017/02/18/kilauea-cove-raspberry-pi-active-volcano/

All of the parts are linked from that one master blog post.

In addition, all of the wiring diagrams, animations, and Raspberry Pi code are here on my Github:
https://github.com/bobtiki/kilaueacove

Sorry I let this languish for so long! But now on to improvements for Kilauea Cove v.2.0!

View Profile of bobtiki Send a personal message to bobtiki  Email bobtiki Goto the website of bobtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-09 07:34 am   Permalink

Your area looks great. I don't suppose you have come across a program that would make LED strip lights change colors very slowly? I have LEDs on my fence around my area and would like them to shift colors slowly to the point of imperceptibility. All stock controllers change the lights fairly rapidly. I want people come over sit down and after about 15 minutes realize the lights look different. I'm thinking the answer lies in an arduino based solution. But I'm a complete noob. Any advice would be appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2017-05-09 07:34 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2017-05-09 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-09 07:34, jimsflies wrote:
Your area looks great. I don't suppose you have come across a program that would make LED strip lights change colors very slowly?
[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2017-05-09 07:34 ]

Thanks! The code you use would depend on which LEDs you have, but at least Adafruit (and other companies, I'm sure) have sample code to show how to simply control their LED strips with a smooth color rotation. Usually there is a very small delay number between the change to the next gradual color, but in your case, you would make the delay number much larger. If you know which kind of LEDs you're using, I could probably point you to some sample code.
Kilauea Cove

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-09 08:26 am   Permalink

The ones I have on the fence are SMD 5050 RGB LED 5m Strips (20m total).

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2017-05-09 08:52 am   Permalink

As luck would have it, Adafruit has a nice tutorial on controlling those 5050 LEDs. They even have sample code for fading colors, like you want. FADESPEED is the variable that you'll want to jack up.

https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips?view=all

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-11 6:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks! I appreciate the lead.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation