FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Maori Art Swap - Oti! (finished)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Maori Art Swap - Oti! (finished)
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-23 3:20 pm   Permalink

Official Swap Rules - Artists create an work of Tiki art based on the "Maori" theme. Can be any media; clay, wood, paint, fabric, beads, digital, metal, glass, mixed media, etc. The intent is for this to be an original "one-off" work of art, not part of a mass produced run. If it is created from an existing mold it should be heavily modified. Digital art or screen prints should be printed on a nice substrate, not just run off on a piece of art pad paper. You must post a picture of your finished piece by the deadline in order to be included in the drawing. Remember that you will probably ship your art to your partner, don't make anything so large or heavy that it cannot be shipped cost effectively. If you are not an established Swapper and/or established TC member, I will ask for real name and cell phone number so we have a solid contact in the event of a problem. Most of all, have fun and interact with some fellow TC folks

Looks like the
Seasons of Tiki Swap is about wrapped up. We generally hold a summer Swap scheduled to end just before Tiki Oasis in August, luck of the draw usually allows some people to swap in person at Oasis. There was some interest in starting the next Swap soon, to give people more time to complete their art – anyone ready to start now? Tiki Oasis is August 18th this year, the Swap would need to end about Aug 12th.
There have been many themes used and proposed over the years, here are a list of some of them
(All as they relate to Tiki, of course)
Favorite Mug
Matchbooks
Drinks
Animal
Zodiacs
Hot Rod
Pin-up
Military
Tiki Bob
Maori
Waterfalls
Pufferfish
Moai
TV

Now I’m going to lobby for my favorite – MAORI/NEW ZEALAND!!!! Very traditional Tiki with a wide variety of styles and materials, something for everyone.
Wood Carving

Stone Carving

Bone Carving

Weapons

Tattoos

Too bad the Swaps aren’t good for performance art or you could create and perform a custom haka dance for your Swap partner

For further inspiration, here is a trailer for the 2015 Maori movie “The Bad Lands”, available to rent on Amazon. Action packed but rather bloody.

What are your thoughts on themes?

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2016-04-03 17:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2016-08-09 12:59 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-23 8:59 pm   Permalink

I'm in
This theme works for me

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-23 9:05 pm   Permalink

I'm in, love that Maori theme. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-23 9:10 pm   Permalink

Maori or matchbook....I'm in

Anything else and I'd probably be out.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 06:32 am   Permalink

Maori - I'm in. August is too far off. Perhaps before Hukilau in June?

[ This Message was edited by: AlohaStation 2016-03-24 06:34 ]

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-24 07:29 am   Permalink

I guess it's only fair that the East Coaster get a chance to swap in person too. Maybe we could use that as a recruitment tool to involve more Floridians. What do you think people? That's 9 weeks, it just means more time working and less time procrastinating.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 07:59 am   Permalink

Dat works

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 12:22 pm   Permalink

August fits my schedule.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-24 12:58 pm   Permalink

I sent out a mass email for those who have participated in the past and may not check TC on a regular basis. If you want to be on that e-mail list and are not, let me know. If you asked me to add you previously and I didn't, I apologize Send me a PM again

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 1:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the email, Mike. I like the theme, hmm... Xena Warrior Princess was shot in NZ....

Are we committing to Maori right off the bat, other ideas out there?

Thanks for taking the helm again, sir!!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-24 3:35 pm   Permalink

Definitely no commitment to Maori, that's just my favorite. Feel free to lobby for your favorite theme

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 6:42 pm   Permalink

Got it

I'm going to kidnap Mike
Tattoo him up
N ship him out in a big box

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-24 7:23 pm   Permalink

I had forgotten about that pic

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 8:51 pm   Permalink

I can't
We see it daily

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 06:53 am   Permalink

After looking through the "History of Swaps" (THANKS Mike), I noticed that New Zealand was already done in 2008. Have we come to point that we need to repeat themes?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation