FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 09:51 am   Permalink

Note: I know there are quite a few Lemon Hart threads already, but it seemed appropriate to start a new topic with this big news. For further reading on the previous versions of Lemon Hart, check out these threads:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=49099&forum=10&start=60
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47455&forum=10&start=240

Now, on to the news ...

Robert A. Burr (Miami Rum Renaissance Festival, Rob's Rum Guide, Rum Minute) posted this on the Global Rum Club group on Facebook:

First Look: New Lemon Hart 151, now dubbed Original 1804 Black Rum, along with a Blackpool spiced rum at 43%, are soon to arrive in USA.

Demerara USA is importing, same as El Dorado. Part of a movement by the distiller to take more control their finest expressions.

Looks like there is both 151 and 80 proof coming ...

For a bit more background, I go into the Lemon Hart saga in depth on my blog, including a recent comparison of Lemon Hart 151 red label, yellow label and Hamilton 151.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#151-compare

Looking forward to putting the new version to the test. Considering it's coming through Demerara USA, one would hope it will be widely available.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 09:55 am   Permalink

That Original 1804 label only shows as 80 proof, so that's not the 151.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-25 09:59 am   Permalink

Great news, thanks for sharing with us.

With the recent re-naming of St. James, Appleton, and others, and now Lemon Hart too, there will come a time when we will all have to visit liquor stores with a translation guide. How else are we going to read our recipes and know which re-named rum they're referring to?

I know, there are worse problems to have, like who's buying my next drink?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2016-03-25 09:55, Swanky wrote:
That Original 1804 label only shows as 80 proof, so that's not the 151.

Josh Miller of Inu a Kena subsequently posted the 151 label. Of course, they could decide to distribute it only in Europe, but that would be cruel :>(

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 10:50 am   Permalink

This news just made my weekend. Will be celebrating tonight with a 151 Swizzle.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 11:22 am   Permalink

This is certainly interesting news!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 12:02 pm   Permalink

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it...

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 5:29 pm   Permalink

The thought of LH 151 showing up at my local Total Wine store is almost more than I can take..... Regardless where is shows up I hope it is close to the old yellow label in smokiness. I am very thankful that we now have Hamilton 151, but having both will be very nice.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-25 5:50 pm   Permalink

Lemon Hart Rum posted this on Facebook on March 1, 2016.

"Meet our new brand ambassador, Shea Hogan:
"Getting an opportunity to join the team of one of the most historically significant rum brands in the world was one I couldnít pass up. With a history of over 200 years, Lemon Hart has withstood the test of time by maintaining a high level of excellence, and celebrating its traditions. A single estate rum, owned by Canadians, it is our nations bridge to the Caribbean and to the past, which is something other rum brands, or any spirit brand for that matter, would kill for! Iím thrilled to be a new part of Lemon Hartís story, and to do what I can to ensure this piece of living history is shared with and enjoyed by everyone, so it can continue to live on."
When Shea isn't dressed up in a dapper suit, you can find him mixing vintage, exotic cocktails at one of Vancouver BC's finest Tiki bar's, The Shameful Tiki Room. And if you ask nice enough, he may even mix you up a Lemon Hart Perfect Stormy."

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-25 6:53 pm   Permalink

Awesome, I met Shea when I visited Shameful Tiki Room on my honeymoon. Good guy with a real passion for tiki. He made me some great drinks. Of course Lemon Hart never stopped being available in Canada so they use it in several things on their menu. I hope we get the 80 and 151 back in America and it's the same as before. Quite honestly, the Hamilton 86 doesn't do it for me and while his 151 is solid, I still prefer LH. Theoir spiced is actually quite good. I got a mini of it in Vancouver.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2016-03-26 1:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the post Hurricane Hayward! It's amusing to think that it'll be possible to do a side-by-side-by-side taste test of 3 versions of the same product.

Not that anyone asked, but my 2 cents: while I'm certainly interested in trying the non-spiced versions when/if they're available in the US, I've moved past chasing Lemon Hart as it has frequently faded in and out of availability over the past 10 years (the threads here on TC attest to that). And hoarding old rum stock only works until the next earthquake hits. So as long as Ed Hamilton is willing to bottle and ship his 86 and 151 demerara rums with regularity, I'm willing to buy his rums.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-11 09:54 am   Permalink

I'll see if I can find out anything new at the Miami Rum Festival later this week. Here's the most recent info from Robert A. Burr (via Facebook) ...

Soon to come to many liquor stores in the USA, and online.

The official line is that Lemon Hart 151 has not changed from the original formula.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

JenTiki

Posted: 2016-04-11 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

The official line is that Lemon Hart 151 has not changed from the original formula.

Original formula, or red label formula?

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-11 3:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-11 10:12, JenTiki wrote:

I'd wager on red label. But, even this I question - why cut production if you aren't changing anything? Something stinks around here.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-11 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-11 15:57, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-04-11 10:12, JenTiki wrote:

I'd wager on red label. But, even this I question - why cut production if you aren't changing anything? Something stinks around here.

Sounds like we may get a return to the yellow label formula, but only time will tell ...

Robert A. Burr: "The official line is that Lemon Hart 151 has not changed from the original formula, but clearly, to me, the Hamilton (red label) version was inferior. That may be related to the fact that my original bottles have aged in glass for a few years. In any case, the company insists that the new Lemon Hart 151 is the same as the previous versions. Tasters will voice their own opinions when they (have) product is in hand."

Steve Leukanech: "My whiskey crew here in Tallahassee has identified the older yellow label LH 151 as a favorite sipper with the Hamilton a close second. The last version of LH 151 was not popular at all. Here's hoping this new version is more like the much older yellow label than the later versions."

According to what I was told several years ago, the "red label" was a blend that was made specifically for that bottling. It was not the yellow label original formula, but an attempt to duplicate it. One would hope Lemon Hart and/or Demerara Distillers still have the original formula and will be using it again considering the label they're using.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation