FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-11-14 1:07 pm   Permalink

These comments help a lot, guys. I agree with the "to each his own" theory, especially in light of the fact that differences in how we pour and measure ingredients can potentially cause fairly wide swings in how we each would mix the same drink from identical recipes.

Now, having said all that, I think I'll have another drink!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-17 6:57 pm   Permalink

Just an fyi. Hi-Time appears to have restocked.

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-21 4:01 pm   Permalink

On the shelves of Costco in Kailua-Kona!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-11-27 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-17 18:57, CosmoReverb wrote:
Just an fyi. Hi-Time appears to have restocked.

Yes, I scored a bottle on Wednesday night.. First time I was there and they stock everything.. My new go to shop for booze.. Just a heads up, Total Wine is now stocking it as well.. At least the Brea location..

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-01-24 10:10 pm   Permalink

While everyone is focusing on Lemon Hart, not many have realized that a whole new slew of competitors are coming out of the woodwork vying for the 151-proof/overproof crown. Since Bacardi has officially vacated the category with ending the production of their reputation-stricken 151, there are a lot of new kids on the block.

So, which one will it be?

An 'extensive' blind taste testing is in order here. Not sipped with added water but in the form of a classic Daiquiri for a more accurate analysis. Only mass-produced, commercially available gold or dark 151-proof/overproof rums will be considered for the challenge.

NOTE: The old label Plantation Original Dark Overproof (73%) will be included. The old yellow label Lemon Hart won't be considered as we all know how that would end...

ps. If you believe there are any other 'accessible' and commercially available 151-proof/overproof rums to consider, please advise.

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-25 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-24 22:10, RumScrummager wrote:
...Since Bacardi has officially vacated the category with ending the production of their reputation-stricken 151, there are a lot of new kids on the block.

Really...geezus what am I going to light on fire now???

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cavemoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-25 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-25 09:12, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Quote:

...Since Bacardi has officially vacated the category with ending the production of their reputation-stricken 151, there are a lot of new kids on the block.

Really...geezus what am I going to light on fire now???

Loki, Trader Vic's makes a really putrid 151 that'll do...

View Profile of Cavemoai Send a personal message to Cavemoai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-25 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

Two things:
1) I just checked and did not see Bacardi 151 shown on their web site.
2) There is a comment on Reddit indicating it is not discontinued, just on hiatus while they change packaging to plastic bottles. See below. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but thought I'd share it. I guess I could walk up the street to the bottling plant and ask, but the guard probably wouldn't let me in. I should at least make a phone call though.

Found at
https://www.reddit.com/r/alcohol/comments/4s93x1/bacardi_151_gone/d57qjb7/
CWinthrop (Moderator)- Professional Drinker - 7 points - 6 months ago*
I spoke with a rep earlier this week. She said no, it has NOT been discontinued, just some markets are getting new bottles (thick plastic instead of glass). They're testing the new bottles.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-25 09:33 am   Permalink

I suggest including the new Hamilton Navy Strength at 57%. It's a blend of Jamaican and Demerara rums and quite delicious.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-25 09:39 am   Permalink

More on Bacardi 151... The people at Brutalhammer.com say they made a call to Bacardi HQ and it is being discontinued.

Fans of the famous overproof rum weren’t even given the courtesy of a heads-up. It just suddenly became hard to find. A rumor cropped up on Reddit that 151 wasn’t really being put out to pasture, just temporarily withdrawn for a repackaging. Unfortunately, a phone call from The Brutal Hammer to Bacardi HQ has confirmed 151’s demise.

https://www.brutalhammer.com/bacardi-151-flames-out/

lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-25 11:18 am   Permalink

So sad that this rum is no more. Just kidding, who cares??? I won't miss it, will you?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-25 11:46 am   Permalink

It will befuddle cocktail newcomers who will continue to find it listed in some recipes. It will be left up to us to help others discover that there are better alternatives to Bacardi 151.

But otherwise, I read a post by one guy who wrote the only thing he used it for was as a solvent to clean his smoking pipes! He wrote that he liked the pleasant aroma it left behind when it dried.

RumScrummager
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-01-25 12:34 pm   Permalink

Bacardi 151 won't be too sorely missed, however, it is interesting to note how judicial activism and greed played a major role in its imminent demise; the product had not only gained an abhorrent reputation with Tiki and the craft cocktail community at large, but was mercilessly being abused and misused by almost everyone.

Remember, Bacardi is still a privately-held, family-owned company which really irks the other big multinational liquor houses who have all been bastardized over the years in the name of greed. While Bacardi’s revenue growth has slowed recently, the brand is concentrating on building its portfolio up of ‘other’ products.

All in all, it is a shame that Bacardi was forced to vacate the 151-proof market at a time where its growth potential is greater than it ever was before; we even have bars opening up now called ‘Navy Strength’ and ‘Overproof’ for goodness sakes. However, having a product being entirely associated with ‘ignition’ and not ‘consumption’ was always going to be a huge liability – not least now while Bacardi is still yet to duke it out in court with Pernod Ricard and the Cuban government over Havana Club.

NOTE: Stroh 80, Austria’s version of Bacardi 151 (albeit much more flammable) were smart to re-brand in North America as ‘Stroh 160’ (more confusing, right?) and promote the product as a so-called ‘spiced rum,’ (which its not) which opened it up to being a shooter as well as a premium mixer which could be embraced by the craft cocktail community. Still, the product is even more deadly than Bacardi 151 ever was, but is not regarded as such. Again, perception always becomes reality.

Ps. My last remaining bottle of Bacardi 151 (which I've been safekeeping for the last 6 months) will be kept (unopened) for posterity. If you see one at your local liquor store, be sure to pick it up just for the heck of it. The more 'recent' bottles feature all the silly fire safety notices etc, whereas the older bottles might be considered more collectible.

View Profile of RumScrummager Send a personal message to RumScrummager      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-25 12:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-25 12:34, RumScrummager wrote:
...as ‘Stroh 160’ (more confusing, right?) and promote the product as a so-called ‘spiced rum,’ (which its not)...

Thanks, RumScrummager. Friendly question here about Stroh 80/160. I consider it a spiced rum, and you write that it isn't. I'd enjoy your thoughts on that point. I've been around it a few times in my life when its been used for cooking. A few years ago I acquired Stroh 80 and Stroh 60 for cocktails when Frankie's published their book with many of their recipes. So that's my basis for thinking of it as a spiced rum despite knowing that it is much older than today's more subtle spiced rums.

Sorry for the thread derail. I'm really interested in RumScrummager's perspective on a very unusual rum.

JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-01-25 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-25 12:45, AceExplorer wrote:
Friendly question here about Stroh 80/160. I consider it a spiced rum, and you write that it isn't. I'd enjoy your thoughts on that point. I've been around it a few times in my life when its been used for cooking. A few years ago I acquired Stroh 80 and Stroh 60 for cocktails when Frankie's published their book with many of their recipes. So that's my basis for thinking of it as a spiced rum despite knowing that it is much older than today's more subtle spiced rums.

Sorry for the thread derail. I'm really interested in RumScrummager's perspective on a very unusual rum.

Interesting. I've never considered it a spiced rum. Maybe because it's so "hot" that I have hard time perceiving anything other than the burn when I taste it. I do get a ton of butterscotch on the aroma, but I get very little of that in the actual flavor. And so I might be convinced to consider it a "flavored" rum, but not spiced.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation