FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 17, 2017
Posts: 94
Posted: 2017-04-27 5:20 pm   Permalink

Ah, also - I saw someone mentioned above using El Dorado 8yo as a proxy for the regular Lemon Hart. What do you think to that match?

I use the ED8 a lot, and I find it works great in drinks that require a "Demerara rum".


 
View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Dec 08, 2014
Posts: 66
Posted: 2017-04-28 05:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-27 16:41, Early Landed Larry wrote:
Do any of you have experience with Lemon Hart 151 and Plantation OFTD?

Do you think the Plantation would be a reasonable substitute?



The short answer to your question is yes. OFTD has been blended by the leading tiki maesters in the field today very specifically for the purpose of being used as an overproof rum in Tiki drinks, and from experience, I'll tell you it works wonderfully in both swizzles and as a float. I prefer it over both the red and newer label LH151, and in many cases more than the Hamilton 151. So that just about covers the main contenders. Just my 2 cents.


 
View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-04-28 10:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-28 05:25, Scaramouch wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-04-27 16:41, Early Landed Larry wrote:
Do any of you have experience with Lemon Hart 151 and Plantation OFTD?

Do you think the Plantation would be a reasonable substitute?



The short answer to your question is yes. OFTD has been blended by the leading tiki maesters in the field today very specifically for the purpose of being used as an overproof rum in Tiki drinks, and from experience, I'll tell you it works wonderfully in both swizzles and as a float. I prefer it over both the red and newer label LH151, and in many cases more than the Hamilton 151. So that just about covers the main contenders. Just my 2 cents.



I would second that, with the caveat that you're not quite getting the full 151-proof punch when using OFTD. But I've spoken to bartenders who will (in a pinch during busy times) use OFTD as a sub for both 151 Demerara and 80-proof Jamaican (in the Zombie or 151 Swizzle, for example).

You'll have to wait to see my ratings when I post them on The Atomic Grog, but there are only shades of difference in all of these rums.

And in regards to El Dorado 8 as the preferred 80-proof Demerara rum, I'd also agree. For the price, Hamilton 86 is equally good in my book. The new Lemon Hart 80, from what I've tasted (details to come) is not quite up to the same standard. It's close, but falls a bit short. The old LH80 yellow label was the bomb, of course, but I'd put ED12 and ED15 a bit higher up on my scale. They're just not priced to be everyday mixers.


 
View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-04-28 11:07 pm   Permalink

As fate would have it, I headed straight for the VIP tasting area within minutes of my arrival at Miami Rum Festival last Sunday. It was there that I enjoyed many of Robert A. Burr's most prized spirits.

And, as promised, Lemon Hart was on the menu ...



Like the new 151, the revamped release of the Original 1804 (aka 80-proof) seems to fall a little short of past standards. It's not a bad rum by any means, so perhaps it's an unfair comparison since the bar was previously set so high. I'd certainly stock it in my bar if I could get my hands on it.

The spiced rum, on the other hand, is a totally new beast. A bit of a surprise, it was dark and rich, more comparable to a liqueur than what you may be expecting from a spiced rum. Further testing is needed, but I'm sure I'd find a use for it.

Mahalo Rob for the hospitality!



_________________
Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Apr 17, 2017
Posts: 94
Posted: 2017-05-01 02:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-28 22:39, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-04-28 05:25, Scaramouch wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-04-27 16:41, Early Landed Larry wrote:
Do any of you have experience with Lemon Hart 151 and Plantation OFTD?

Do you think the Plantation would be a reasonable substitute?



The short answer to your question is yes. OFTD has been blended by the leading tiki maesters in the field today very specifically for the purpose of being used as an overproof rum in Tiki drinks, and from experience, I'll tell you it works wonderfully in both swizzles and as a float. I prefer it over both the red and newer label LH151, and in many cases more than the Hamilton 151. So that just about covers the main contenders. Just my 2 cents.



I would second that, with the caveat that you're not quite getting the full 151-proof punch when using OFTD. But I've spoken to bartenders who will (in a pinch during busy times) use OFTD as a sub for both 151 Demerara and 80-proof Jamaican (in the Zombie or 151 Swizzle, for example).

You'll have to wait to see my ratings when I post them on The Atomic Grog, but there are only shades of difference in all of these rums.

And in regards to El Dorado 8 as the preferred 80-proof Demerara rum, I'd also agree. For the price, Hamilton 86 is equally good in my book. The new Lemon Hart 80, from what I've tasted (details to come) is not quite up to the same standard. It's close, but falls a bit short. The old LH80 yellow label was the bomb, of course, but I'd put ED12 and ED15 a bit higher up on my scale. They're just not priced to be everyday mixers.





Many thanks Scaramouche, Hurricane! It's good to know I'll be using a fairly close approximation of the recommended ingredients for these great recipes. I agree about the El Dorado marks - I can't see myself ever using EL 12 or 15 as a regular mixer but I think the 8 punches through nicely, and it's a great rum to use "behind" other rums to back them up.

I don't have the OFTD yet but I'm heading to the new Covent Garden whiskey exchange in a couple of weeks - I could get it online but there's something nice about browsing in a shop. Thanks for the really helpful tips.


 
View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Posts: 8149
From: Las Vegas
Posted: 2017-05-03 3:52 pm   Permalink





Hmmmm
Red label for me

New one smells sweet, but I like the red better.

Not that I usually sip 151 anyway,

Next I'll try it in cocktails



[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2017-05-03 15:59 ]


 
View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2017-07-09 7:00 pm   Permalink

If anyone is curious about the Blackpool Spiced rum from Lemon Hart, here's an in-depth review with some nice historical info on the brand ...
http://drunkentiki.com/2017/06/19/lemon-hart-blackpool-spiced-rum/


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 07, 2012
Posts: 838
From: The base of the Volcano
Posted: 2017-07-10 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-03 15:52, hang10tiki wrote:




Hmmmm
Red label for me

New one smells sweet, but I like the red better.

Not that I usually sip 151 anyway,

Next I'll try it in cocktails



[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2017-05-03 15:59 ]



I agree, I like the taste of the red label better.


 
View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2018-06-03 8:18 pm   Permalink

The Atomic Grog has a massive update on the history of the Lemon Hart rum saga, with a full chronology of the ups and downs of the past decade ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/



The focus is on the state of the rums at The Mai-Kai today, but I cover everything from the greatness of the "old yellow label" to the influence of the "red label" bottling on today's "embarrassment of riches."



I also look at the influence of Ed Hamilton and his rums, along with the other new Lemon Hart releases.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

Okole maluna!

_________________
Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2018-06-19 7:32 pm   Permalink

Mahalo to Lemon Hart for sponsoring my class at The Hukilau. Let's do it again next year!




 
View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2018-07-11 10:23 am   Permalink

Check out photos from the "How to Mix Like The Mai-Kai" class on Facebook and Flickr:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/atomicgrog/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1851915004874996

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28078283@N05/albums/72157669007690057


_________________
Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide


[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-07-11 10:24 ]


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2018-09-21 10:10 pm   Permalink

Join the Fraternal Order of Moai and Lemon Hart & Sons for a flight of Lemon Hart cocktails at The Mai-Kai on Saturday, Sept. 29, at 5 p.m. There will also be several auction prizes. Proceeds will go to the Broward County Humane Society.

UPDATE: All three Lemon Hart rums will be featured in cocktails. Also: Win Rum Renaissance Festival tickets, plus Tom Fowner artwork!



https://www.facebook.com/events/2183661851891801/

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2018-09-23 22:16 ]


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2018-10-04 8:53 pm   Permalink

Catching up on a few recent events ...

1. Lemon Hart at Texas Tiki Week









 
View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 07, 2008
Posts: 1527
From: 16 miles from The Mai-Kai
Posted: 2018-10-04 9:07 pm   Permalink

2. Lemon Hart happy hour at The Mai-Kai, presented by the Fraternal Order of Moai, Gumbo Limbo Chapter







More photos from the FOM:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/fomgumbo/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2089578471073413
_________________
Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide


 View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation