FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Liquor for Flaming Drinks: A Comparison
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Liquor for Flaming Drinks: A Comparison
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-30 9:14 pm   Permalink

This is really interesting! I'll be curious to see if beer bottle caps do the trick; seems like they wouldn't show too much inside the lime shell and would hopefully hold enough alcohol. I'm hoping it works (they're easy to come by at my house! )

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-31 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-30 19:43, Jeff Bannow wrote:
Spent lime shell, with alcohol soaked home-made crouton (4 dashes) (burned bright, lasted long, but smelled like burnt toast or charcoal at the end)

I can always tell when a bowl drink is being served at Smuggler's Cove to newbies. It starts with a delightful cinnamon toast smell (they sprinkle the cinnamon over the burning croutons for fireworks), then after a while it just smells like burnt toast. The flame will last quite some time before it starts smelling burnt, so the trick is just to blow it out at the moment it starts to smell too toasted. You'll still get several minutes of flame before that happens. If you don't want the residual smoke smell, you can simply remove the burning crouton with a pair of metal tongs (like you would use for ice) and drop the crouton in a glass of water or sink to put it out. Note that the flaming bowls at Smuggler's Cove are served in bowls with receptacles for the crouton, so the spent lime shell is unnecessary.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-31 08:25 am   Permalink

Good suggestion - we thought about the idea of snuffing out the crouton before it got to burned. That's worth looking into.

I forgot to mention my homemade "crouton" recipe:

1. Take a slice of white bread and cut off the crust so that it is square.
2. Cut the bread in a 3x3 grid, so that you have 9 pieces about 1 inch square.
3. Leave out to dry for 24 hours.

Seemed to work very well, and there are so many preservatives in white bread that I would doubt it will ever rot, as long as it stays dry.

And, almost forgot to mention, big thanks to AceExplorer for the "crouton" recipe!

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Bannow 2016-03-31 08:40 ]

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-31 6:46 pm   Permalink

Final test (for now at least):

First attempt was a complete failure - tried to float the lemon extract on top of the water, using the back of a spoon, but it mixed right in anyway. This could in theory work, but is quite a bit of hassle.

Tried out our vegetable cutters on the bread - makes some cool little flower shaped bread pieces. They are between the size of a nickel and a quarter, I would say.

Happy Sales Stainless Steel Vegetable Cutters - $4.75 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Sales-Stainless-Vegetable-Cutters/dp/B00095VK7S

Second attempt at the crouton method. I was able to get about 45 seconds of burning out of it before I started to smell burnt toast. This was by far the most impressive flame so far, but I'm afraid the odor is going to be a turn-off for us. You're mileage may vary though - if someone has a trick here, please let me know. I'd love to find a way to make this last a bit longer without the smell.

Here's the beer cap, floating on a lime shell. I filled the cap to near the top, and it burned nicely without any off smells. It naturally extinguished itself after about 2 minutes. I think, with some larger limes, (this one was really tiny - less than 2 inches across) the cap could be set right into the lime itself.

For me, that's the winner. Within 10 seconds of it extinguishing it was cool to the touch, and it rinsed right off, ready for the next round.

The next phase of this project for me is testing both in front of the guests at our next tiki event. I'll try to get some 3rd party opinions on them.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki

Posted: 2016-04-01 10:07 am   Permalink

The trick is to really soak the croutons in the lemon extract, so the flame has more fuel to burn before it starts burning the bread instead. At Smuggler's Cove, they have big storage containers just filled with lemon extract and croutons, so they just pluck one out when they need it. They really do last for several minutes before the bread starts burning.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-12 06:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-11 20:12, PalmtreePat wrote:

Christening my new tiki bowl with Porp's scorpion.

To make the ice mold I put a metal shot glass at the bottom of a pint glass (any glass with a flat bottom that's wider at the top than the bottom will do) and put shaved ice in one scoop at a time, packing it down as hard as I could in between scoops and making sure the top (what would be the bottom when freed from the mold) was as flat as possible. After an overnight stint in the freezer I took the glass out and let it sit and warm slightly while I made up the scorpion. When the drink was ready I popped the mold out, put it in the bowl, filled the shotglass with lemon extract and set it on fire, and served it up.

Thanks for PalmtreePat for the idea above, originally from this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31307&forum=10&vpost=762274

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-13 05:09 am   Permalink

In a comparison that will surprise no one, the store bought McCormick's 1 ounce bottle and the Sam's Club McCormick's 8 ounce bottle both burned identically.

I'll be sourcing my lemon extract from Sam's from now on. About $0.75 out the door per ounce.

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-19 6:01 pm   Permalink

Jeff, thanks for sharing all your research and photos documenting it. This is very useful. AND with pricing info- well done, indeed!

Cheers and thanks!

Ryan

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-20 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-19 18:01, finky099 wrote:
Jeff, thanks for sharing all your research and photos documenting it. This is very useful. AND with pricing info- well done, indeed!

I've learned a lot from this forum, so I'm glad to have something to give back!

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-08 05:22 am   Permalink

Received the Smuggler's Cove book last night, and instantly flipped to the section on flaming drinks. The Cates came to the same conclusion - lemon extract, soaked into an unseasoned crouton. They recommend floating it on top of a lime wheel.

mikehooker

Posted: 2016-07-01 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-27 20:06, Jeff Bannow wrote:

McCormick Lemon Extract:
Cost for 8 ounce bottle from Sam's Club: $5.88
Cost per ounce: $0.73

I reached out to friends to see if anyone with a Sam's Club card could pick me up a bottle after we confirmed that the tiny ones at the supermarket were outrageously priced, and was informed that Living Social was doing a deal for $25 for a Sam's Club membership and you get a $10 gift card off the bat, so it's essentially only $15 for the year. I went ahead and did it and can confirm the price above, which seems the best bargain for lighting quality flames.

On a side not, Sam's Club limes are as good if not better than Costco's, yielding around 1.5 ounces each. A 5 lb bag is $4.

Having a big party this weekend so putting that membership to good use already.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-01 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-01 11:41, mikehooker wrote:
...did it and can confirm the price above, which seems the best bargain for lighting quality flames.

On a side not, Sam's Club limes are as good if not better than Costco's, yielding around 1.5 ounces each. A 5 lb bag is $4.

Thanks Mike, that's a good confirmation on the lemon extract. On the limes, I paid 50 cents EACH yesterday for my shindig last night. Ouch... But I didn't have time to swing by Sam's or Costco.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-07-01 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-01 11:56, AceExplorer wrote:

On the limes, I paid 50 cents EACH yesterday for my shindig last night. Ouch... But I didn't have time to swing by Sam's or Costco.

Wow! Hop on over to the Lime Shortage thread so we don't derail again (we seem to be a good duo for that lately). I just posted about my latest lime finds.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-07-30 11:43 am   Permalink

I realized since I own a business I could get a Restaurant Depot card. Besides being able to purchase 40lb boxes of limes for 10 bucks, I saw that they carried lemon extract for $12.19 for 32 ounces which gets your cost per ounce down below $.40. Smokin' deal.

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-01 04:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-30 11:43, mikehooker wrote:
I realized since I own a business I could get a Restaurant Depot card. Besides being able to purchase 40lb boxes of limes for 10 bucks, I saw that they carried lemon extract for $12.19 for 32 ounces which gets your cost per ounce down below $.40. Smokin' deal.

Nice. I'd be curious to see how it performs against the McCormicks. I was disappointed in the burning qualities of the GFS brand in comparison.

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Bannow 2016-08-01 04:49 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation