FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Liquor for Flaming Drinks: A Comparison
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Liquor for Flaming Drinks: A Comparison
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 08:29 am   Permalink

For comparison purposes, what is the alcohol content of the two brands? That may have an impact on the quality and duration of the burn. I don't know if pure lemon extract (lemon oil?) is too strong to sell undiluted, and that's why they mix it with alcohol. Or maybe the pure (undiluted) extract is impractical because the volume is too small to sell in convenient bottle sizes. Those are two possible reasons.

I just picked up two bottles of lemon extract at Sam's. My local Costco hasn't had lemon extract ever from the 10 or so times I've looked. I finally went to Sam's and found it there.

Side note: I may use a bit of my lemon extract in some food, I have thought about making a lemony aioli for dipping. I'm going to test some new home bar appetizers for my bar nights.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-01 08:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 08:29, AceExplorer wrote:
For comparison purposes, what is the alcohol content of the two brands? That may have an impact on the quality and duration of the burn. I don't know if pure lemon extract (lemon oil?) is too strong to sell undiluted, and that's why they mix it with alcohol. Or maybe the pure (undiluted) extract is impractical because the volume is too small to sell in convenient bottle sizes. Those are two possible reasons.

I just picked up two bottles of lemon extract at Sam's. My local Costco hasn't had lemon extract ever from the 10 or so times I've looked. I finally went to Sam's and found it there.

Side note: I may use a bit of my lemon extract in some food, I have thought about making a lemony aioli for dipping. I'm going to test some new home bar appetizers for my bar nights.

I'm not sure - I've seen notes online that McCormick is 166 proof, but nothing indicating what proof the GFS is. It might very well be lower alcohol, though as you can see in the comparisons the lemon oil definitely plays a part too. The 166 proof McCormick burns better than 190 proof grain alcohol, so there's something else going on there.

I also have never seen it at Costco, but Sam's around me carries it regularly.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 08:36, Jeff Bannow wrote:
The 166 proof McCormick burns better than 190 proof grain alcohol, so there's something else going on there.

Interesting! I wouldn't have guessed that, thanks for sharing. It also makes me wonder what "lemon extract" actually contains besides alcohol. Is it the oil from the yellow part of the skin? I think it is, and the alcohol is somehow used to dissolve and help leach the oil out of the lemon skins. There are a bunch of "how to make lemon extract at home" articles in Google, but I don't have time to drill down into those now.

I made a list of things to test-burn a couple of years ago, then because taking pictures was kind of a hassle at the time, set it aside and ended up forgetting all about it. I think when I find that list, I'll make the tests, just so we have that data posted here for the benefit of others. And cuz its fun to make some zombies and burn stuff! ha...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 10:14 am   Permalink

According to the McCormick website:

I would assume it is the oil from the peels. Especially since we know that's what flares when you squeeze a peel over an open flame.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-01 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 09:28, AceExplorer wrote:
I made a list of things to test-burn a couple of years ago, then because taking pictures was kind of a hassle at the time, set it aside and ended up forgetting all about it. I think when I find that list, I'll make the tests, just so we have that data posted here for the benefit of others. And cuz its fun to make some zombies and burn stuff! ha...

That's exactly how I ended up making this thread. If you have anything you want me to test that I didn't hit on the first page, let me know and I can add it to the comparison. It's been a fun project.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-01 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 10:14, JenTiki wrote:
According to the McCormick website:

I would assume it is the oil from the peels. Especially since we know that's what flares when you squeeze a peel over an open flame.

There ya go! Yeah, I assumed the same thing. I wonder if just soaking my spent lemon shells in 190 proof would do it. Although, for the price it's not really worth the hassle.

Especially since I turn all my spent shells into oleo saccharum already.

JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 10:51 am   Permalink

One of the "make your own extract" posts on the internet says to zest your lemons then add the zest and some sugar to 80 proof vodka for about a month, shaking the bottle daily. Then strain through cheesecloth. If I were doing it for flaming, I personally would leave out the sugar. You certainly don't want to add the bitterness of the white pith of the peel, so zesting seems to make some sense. However, I would think you'd lose a lot of the oil in the process of zesting, so I'm not sure that's the answer either.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 10:51, JenTiki wrote:
One of the "make your own extract" posts on the internet says to zest your lemons then add the zest and some sugar to 80 proof vodka for about a month, shaking the bottle daily. Then strain through cheesecloth. If I were doing it for flaming, I personally would leave out the sugar. You certainly don't want to add the bitterness of the white pith of the peel, so zesting seems to make some sense. However, I would think you'd lose a lot of the oil in the process of zesting, so I'm not sure that's the answer either.

This makes a lot of sense, Jen. Zesting exposes the oils to oxygen, potentially causing some oxidation on the spot. And also yes, avoid the sugar, unless it's really needed as an additional component (fuel) to help the burning.

So many things to test.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 10:16, Jeff Bannow wrote:
That's exactly how I ended up making this thread. If you have anything you want me to test that I didn't hit on the first page, let me know and I can add it to the comparison. It's been a fun project.

Let's see if I can find my original notes. I created a matrix using 4 or 5 different things with 4 or 5 different flammable liquids. I know they're buried somewhere when I cleared off my bar for a big party one night. So much for "cleaning up." More like "lose stuff for a long time." Sheesh...

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-01 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 11:15, AceExplorer wrote:

This makes a lot of sense, Jen. Zesting exposes the oils to oxygen, potentially causing some oxidation on the spot. And also yes, avoid the sugar, unless it's really needed as an additional component (fuel) to help the burning.

So many things to test.

If someone tries it out, I'd love to see the results. Due to how cheap I can get lemon extract here, it's not worth it from a financial aspect for me. Still might be fun to play with though ...

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Bannow 2016-08-01 11:19 ]

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 11:17, Jeff Bannow wrote:
If someone tries it out, I'd love to see the results. Due to how cheap I can get lemon extract here, it's not worth it from a financial aspect for me. Still might be fun to play with though ...

Yup, me too. I'm thinking lemon zest and Everclear. And also, lime zest and Everclear. Then I'm also wondering what's the difference between lime oil and lemon oil? Or how about grapefruit oil? Interesting...

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-01 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 11:20, AceExplorer wrote:
Yup, me too. I'm thinking lemon zest and Everclear. And also, lime zest and Everclear. Then I'm also wondering what's the difference between lime oil and lemon oil? Or how about grapefruit oil? Interesting...

Not sure, but it sounds tasty. If I made it at home, I might end up drinking it instead of burning it!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-01 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-01 11:21, Jeff Bannow wrote:
Not sure, but it sounds tasty. If I made it at home, I might end up drinking it instead of burning it!

You're not kidding, Jeff! Your comment makes me think that this could easily lead a person into making home-made bitters.

SoBeTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-08 08:41 am   Permalink

Lemon Extract experimentation

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-17 08:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-08 08:41, SoBeTiki wrote:
Lemon Extract experimentation

Looking good there! Which lemon extract brand is that?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation