FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Bam Bam's carving thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bam Bam's carving thread
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-18 9:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks Cy, I kinda just let the log speak to me. I briefly considered lopping off the top to make it flat, but that would be rather boring. Last piece I was fussing about symmetry - not with this one.

Got really into the process last couple nights and forgot to get more progress pics.

And the left eye...

Teeth!

Lost a little piece of the upper lip once the outer layers started drying out and cracking. Tomorrow I go to Harbor Freight to see what they have in the way of a grinder and some sanding pads.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-19 09:24 am   Permalink

I like that smile

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-26 4:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks, hang10!

Miraculously, I found the missing chip from the upper lip. Now that it's glued back into place I can think about finishes. Considering something light, to show off the black/blue colors in the wood.

In the mean time, it's time to attack these two pieces of white pine that have been sitting idle since the tree was removed a couple years ago. I'm fighting against the forces of nature, too, since the dang carpenter bees have started boring into them!

First time roughing out shapes with the chainsaw. Surprisingly tough going. This stock chain / electric saw combo does not lend itself to cutting big swaths of log.

Memorial Day Moai.

Next up - the grinder!

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-26 5:16 pm   Permalink

Chainsaw
Sweet
Have fun wit da grinder
Lookin good

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-28 12:42 pm   Permalink

Refined the face a bit more with the saw and chisel before attacking the chainsaw marks with the grinder.

He cleans up nice. Except now you can really see the bee-holes.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-28 12:51 pm   Permalink

I dig the bee holes
Gives him character
Looking good

Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 1:04 pm   Permalink

Augh! More holes keep appearing, and after catching one of the bugs in the act, it turns out it's not the wood bees but is instead a colony of Old House Borer Beetles that have probably been living in the log since it was cut 2 years ago, and are just now emerging in the hot weather. I guess now all I can do is wait until they're finished.

Heath
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-29 2:14 pm   Permalink

I had a problem similar to that and this is what I used.

I got it at Home Depot in the pesticide area.

Basically I just made a mini fumigation chamber.
The supplies needed are duct tape, a trash can(preferably with no holes in the bottom, if there ARE holes, use the tape to seal them up) large enough to contain the carving and a trash bag large enough to cover the carving and be taped to the outside edge of the can.
I used a 32 gallon can and 55 gallon drum liners.
What I did was set the carving in the trash can, set off the fogger in the bottom and then quickly pulled the bag over the top of the carving and taped it to the rim of the trash can. I left it sealed up like that for a couple of days.
When I removed the bag, the dead bugs were about an inch deep.

If the infestation is really bad, you may need to do two treatments.

Cheers,
Heath

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 4:24 pm   Permalink

A capital idea, and I happen to have a spare trash can. Thank you!

[ This Message was edited by: Bam Bam 2018-05-29 16:26 ]

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-02 08:41 am   Permalink

Man, Im digging that moai. I hope there is some wood left when you're done killing bees. Hopefully it's bees and not borers. If it's borers, the spray may not kill them all and you could have adult beetles coming out months from now. Nice work though!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-03 7:15 pm   Permalink

Thank you, BigT, and yeah, that's my concern too. This was always going to be an outdoor piece, so if they're in there, at least they won't be emerging indoors.

Tried the fumigation chamber with the garbage can. Left it sit for a solid 24 hours before checking on it. Didn't find any dead beetles afterward, but hopefully the fog permeated the wood enough that it will discourage them from eating to the surface if any grubs are still alive.

Spent some time filling the exit holes with dowels and glue. not the prettiest, but at least the damage won't be so obvious.

Arm and chest definition. Tried using the grinder for most of the work, with middling results. Need more practice with it. Also should probably get one of those router speed controls.

Finally time to stain - gray, of course! Wondering if I should do a wash with some dark stain to help define the edges a bit.

Next comes several coats of poly, and a prayer that all the damn beetles are truly dead and/or gone.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 06:20 am   Permalink

It might be worth spending some time digging out the arms a little bit. Then wont have to use any shading.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 08:18 am   Permalink

I think you're right. Besides, in the light of day I'm not happy with how the grey stain took to the surface. I was hoping it would make the wood look sun bleached and rain weathered, but instead it just looks smeared in some spots and too thick in others.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 12:14 pm   Permalink

Minwax has a Weathered Oak color that you may be interested in. As for blotching, you could try pre-stain conditioner. Although I never have much luck with that. Possibly because woodcarving exposes grain in many directions. I stained a Maple bookcase last year, used pre-stain conditioner and STILL had blotching. Alternatively try sanding sealer (which i think is really washed out shellac).

My approach on the blotching would be several layers of different color stains. You can even do a clear shellac in between stain colors. You'll have to wait for successive stains to dry, as they won't absorb into the wood.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 12:35 pm   Permalink

I liked all the holes
Could have been called
“Drive by Moai”
Looks good

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation