FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Bam Bam's carving thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Bam Bam's carving thread
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 6:53 pm   Permalink

Ha! I could have topped him with a fedora and called him Moai Greene.

Got nice and deep on the arms with the ol' chisel, and while I was in there decided to re-work the hands.

Now he looks a lot less like a Weeble.

I think since he's already mostly covered in primer grey, I'm going to try for a faux stone finish. Stay tuned.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-05 8:35 pm   Permalink

I was never very in love with the knotty grain, and since I ended up filling so much damage, stone it shall be!

Primer.

Krylon Graphite

Krylon Black Granite

And some light touches with some basic satin black to tone down the bright, white flecks.

A couple coats of poly and with any luck it should look a bit like polished stone.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-06-05 10:06 pm   Permalink

Looks great, and good idea to do deeper carving on the arms.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-06 08:00 am   Permalink

Looks great Bam Bam!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-06 12:13 pm   Permalink

Nice job, man.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-07 06:23 am   Permalink

Thanks a ton, guys! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Waiting on the poly to dry and I'll get a shot in sunlight.

Also pretty cool to note, my church's bible school director wants to borrow the moai and the older garden tiki for their "Shipwrecked in the Pacific" theme this year. I'm also providing her with some incidental background music, like Chaino. Tiki bible school. Go figure.

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-06-07 10:15 am   Permalink

The finish looks great. He looks like he just ate a very pleasing meal.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-07 3:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike. They say you put an aspect of yourself into whatever you create, in this case it is quite accurate.

Had a moment of panic when I got home and discovered blisters in the finish - I thought it was more bugs trying to eat their way out. Turns out it was something (either in the wood or maybe the old stain) off-gassing in the heat of the sun. Punctured the blisters and smashed them flat. Can't even see where they were.

The moai on his temporary ahu.

Gonna see if I can find some flagstone bits this weekend to disguise the outside edge, then fill with gravel.

Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-10 8:31 pm   Permalink

Finally got around to staining and sealing the stumpy guy.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-11 7:54 pm   Permalink

Moai came out great
Lil dude has a nice tan

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation