Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotica by Bam Bam
Exotica by Bam Bam
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-05-28 03:22 am   Permalink

I haven't really found anything else exactly like this, so I thought I'd share. From time to time, when the mood strikes (i.e. when I'm bored and have a song stuck in my head) I'll lay down a rough Acapella mix of a song. Not too long ago, that song was Quiet Village.

I ended up with six tracks of vocals loosely based on Baxter's originally-published piano score. Liberties were taken with some of the chords, mostly by happy accident.

https://soundcloud.com/electrospinner/quiet-village-les-baxter-1951

If there are any other similar exotica covers out there I would be really curious to hear them.

[ This Message was edited by: Bam Bam 2017-05-31 19:23 ]

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-28 12:51 pm   Permalink

Very cool.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-28 6:11 pm   Permalink

Nice! All the vocal tracks are yours? You should have made a video of you singing all the parts

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-05-28 7:41 pm   Permalink

Thank you! And yes, all the tracks are me overdubbed. It's the only effective way of getting that music out of my head. I've seen those multitracking videos, but I'm not quite photogenic enough to pull that off.

Something else Exotica-/Lounge-based I recently finished further up that page - an old-school remix of Harlem Nocturne, based on a rather exotic recording by Doc Severinsen from '68:

https://soundcloud.com/electrospinner/harlem-nocturne-remix

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-30 7:49 pm   Permalink

New acapella track! This time it's Jungle Flower, another piece from Ritual of the Savage.

https://soundcloud.com/electrospinner/jungle-flower-les-baxter-1951

Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-31 7:23 pm   Permalink

Figured I should keep everything in one thread.

Built myself a steel guitar, and have been learning how to use it. In the process I've made some more exotic recordings:

Call of the Jungle

Birds of Paradise

Night Bazaar

Also did some covers of Hawaiian tunes:

The Moon of Manakoora

Ke Kali Nei Au

Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-08 8:14 pm   Permalink

New track:

Ceremonial Drum Dance

Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-06-15 9:38 pm   Permalink

Silk Road Caravan

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-06-15 10:18 pm   Permalink

You have been busy Bam! All very nice. Personally I like the acapella songs better than the steel guitar just because it's unique.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation