FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Lili-Kai Club of Metro Detroit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Lili-Kai Club of Metro Detroit
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-07 07:39, tikitube wrote:
Amazing build! You've scored some wonderful items on Craigslist. And the lighting adds so much...just wonderful!

Thank you!

Quote:

On 2017-09-07 08:14, Prikli Pear wrote:
Sweetness! I absolutely love that booth. Long-term plans are to have a booth like this at the *far* end of my covered patio. Several years ago, The Wife found a very cool one just thrown away in an alley near her old photo studio. She grabbed a model she knows and got some quick shots before going to a booking. She was going to get me to pick it up, but by the time she returned it was already gone. Missed opportunities, and all that.

My digressions aside, you have put together a fantastic tiki paradise. I am very impressed.

Thanks! Keep your eyes on Craigslist - they do turn up. Took me about 2 years to find the one I wanted.

Quote:

On 2017-09-07 08:47, hiltiki wrote:
Just beautiful, so inviting.

Thanks!

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-08 3:11 pm   Permalink

Got this model boat at a local antique market. Talked the owner way down from ridiculous money to something reasonable.

The light above was donated by my good friend Tom. He removed it from his family room during a remodel. I rewired it and put 2 nightlight bulbs in it - perfection!

Also relocated the paintings next to it - wanted more color on this wall it make it a bit more inviting. Big improvement.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-10 08:27 am   Permalink

A couple of additions:

Somehow, we forgot to show this amazing mug that Wendy Cevola made for our bar! It's a passion fruit with a wave cresting over it, a play on our bar's name. (Lilikoi is passion fruit, and kai is ocean.)

And two small model ships, donated by Eva's aunt. They needed a little repair, but will make a welcome addition to the decor.

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 07:21 am   Permalink

Rewired this swag lamp for over the booth. Need some more lamps in there yet.

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-11 08:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-10 08:27, Jeff Bannow wrote:
A couple of additions:

Somehow, we forgot to show this amazing mug that Wendy Cevola made for our bar! It's a passion fruit with a wave cresting over it, a play on our bar's name. (Lilikoi is passion fruit, and kai is ocean.)

AH! You're the one who got that awesome passion fruit mug! I love passiflora, and passion fruit as well. Very, very nice!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-13 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

AH! You're the one who got that awesome passion fruit mug! I love passiflora, and passion fruit as well. Very, very nice!

Indeed! We love it - quite the mug.

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-15 6:54 pm   Permalink

Guess what arrived on my doorstep today!!!

Looks promising ....

New custom glassware!

They came out amazing! You can see the two color options I chose - green and blue, and green and purple. (Shown here full of milk for visibility purposes.)

The glasses were made in America, and printed in America too.

Big thanks to Humuhumu for writing the blog post that started my glassware journey:

https://news.critiki.com/2015/09/06/how-to-get-custom-glassware-for-your-tiki-bar/amp/

Thanks to Robert Jimenez for the amazing glass design:

http://zerostreet.com/

And finally, thanks to Gene McDonald at South Pacific Promotions for holding my hand through the whole process:

http://www.southpacificpromotions.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-15 20:08 ]

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-18 05:37 am   Permalink

Finally got the window covers replaced. We have 2 glass block windows that pour in light during the day. Can't have that!

I had previously shoved some cardboard up there to block the light. It helped, but didn't look great, and light still came in through the cracks.

So, I carefully cut some masonite to fit into the two windows, and then used brown caulk around it to seal it in. Now, no light can get through at all!

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-18 05:55 am   Permalink

Our good friend Kirk gave us an amazing gift - this octopus bar spoon! Looks to be handmade, very detailed, and the perfect fit to the theme of our bar. It will go to good use. Thanks Kirk!

Made by Perry Gargano - "The pieces are hand built, and cast locally in Brooklyn."

https://www.perrygargano.com/collections/home-decor/products/octopus-stirer

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-19 05:30 ]

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-20 06:29 am   Permalink

We received our new tabletop for the booth, made again by The Underwood Shop on Etsy. He matched it to the coffee table top he made for us, and it looks great. The original formica top was dinner sized, so we decided to downsize to this 24" cocktail sized top. It will make getting into and out of the booth much easier, which was a big complaint from the wife.

Also, big changes on the doors! We painted the trim, painted the doors, replaced the handles, and added brass kickplates to the bottom of the doors. This was done mostly to cover up the old cat door that the previous owners had installed.

Thanks to our friend Tom for the suggestion of the brass kickplates. It was a lot less work than framing in a new door.

In addition, we mounted the custom signs we had made by Grayskunk on Etsy.

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Bannow 2017-09-20 07:52 ]

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-22 08:12 am   Permalink

Received some new lamps for the bar from Alejandro Joe Munoz (TikiVato.)

The two round swag lamps were originally from Kelbo's in Los Angeles.

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-23 07:56 am   Permalink

Wow, just wow. Fantastic work!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-24 12:23 am   Permalink

Love that Wendy mug
And the booth is freekin killer
Low balls: awesome!!!!!!!!

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-24 6:21 pm   Permalink

Wow it is great. Everything is really working out well. Who did your glasses?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-25 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-24 00:23, hang10tiki wrote:
Love that Wendy mug
And the booth is freekin killer
Low balls: awesome!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation