[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Simple tiki style drinks
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Simple tiki style drinks
TU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-29 7:17 pm   Permalink

So...I kinda live in the sticks and have very limited drink mixing resources. I thought I could start a thread to share recipes for those of us that don't have places to buy anything other than basic ingredients and Bud Light. For example I can't get 151 proof rum. I can get coated in diesel exhaust at every stop light from jacked up pickup trucks.

Thanks!

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-29 7:57 pm   Permalink

I'll start with suggesting a Derby Daiquiri. Light, easy, refreshing. Not really macho, but give it a try.

You may consider mail ordering some spirits in the future, but for now, this will help you start.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-30 08:32 am   Permalink

Mail order is the way to go if your state allows it. Otherwise, as Ace suggests, daiquiris are a good way to go and there is plenty of room for creativity there. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad, try the Total Tiki app. You can put in the ingredients you have and it will tell you which drinks you can make and give you the recipes.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-30 1:46 pm   Permalink

I'm a fan of simple mixes anyways, and my neck of the woods isn't overabundant in liquers. One we do is two parts 7-Up or Sprite, one part pineapple juice, and a splash of macademia nut liquer and rum of your choice. It's a very nice summer drink. My wife likes two parts 7-Up or Sprite, one part orange juice, and a splash of peach schnapps. For pina coladas, we use a mix, with "I'm Bananas Over You" Original Bartenders Cocktail in place of rum, and a splash of Amarula.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-30 2:32 pm   Permalink

And it pays to become good buddies with your local independent liquor store. You would be surprised at what kind of stuff he might be able to special order for you!

Plus, outside of the rum, many of the "exotic" ingredients can be made in your own kitchen.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-30 2:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the ideas everyone!! I'm going to make rum run this weekend and will post what I come up with.

View Profile of TU Send a personal message to TU      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arcadiandj
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-30 8:23 pm   Permalink

My vote is for the "La Trinidad" from Kevin Upthegrove at Five Minutes of Rum:

http://5minutesofrum.com/episodes/2013/11/22/episode-16-zaya-rum

You can use Captain Morgan's spiced rum and if you can find a decent cinnamon syrup (I have used both BG Reynolds (easy to order online-non-alcholic) and a homemade version (VERY easy to make-don't be afraid) and fresh limes, you will be hooked: THANK YOU KEVIN!

View Profile of arcadiandj Send a personal message to arcadiandj      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-01 4:53 pm   Permalink

Here are some more Tu

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-01 5:01 pm   Permalink

The Total Tiki app is great. You can also try this.

http://www.grogalizer.com/index.php

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Drifter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-01 6:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-30 20:23, arcadiandj wrote:

You can use Captain Morgan's spiced rum and if you can find a decent cinnamon syrup (I have used both BG Reynolds (easy to order online-non-alcholic) and a homemade version (VERY easy to make-don't be afraid) and fresh limes, you will be hooked: THANK YOU KEVIN!

Thanks for this!

I'm on my second one of the night

Had some cheap spiced rum I've been trying to burn through............

View Profile of Tiki Drifter Send a personal message to Tiki Drifter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-01 6:52 pm   Permalink

I'll be trying the Trinidad as soon as I make some cinnamon syrup! Tonight's winner is a dark and stormy with one off my son's ginger beers and some lime wedges and sailor jerry. I don't usually have bitters around.

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-07-04 12:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-01 18:34, Tiki Drifter wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-06-30 20:23, arcadiandj wrote:

Thanks for this!

I'm on my second one of the night

Had some cheap spiced rum I've been trying to burn through............

Thanks folks! Glad you are enjoying it.

Though I don't know that I can personally endorse usage of the Captain.

Okole Maluna!

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-04 12:27 pm   Permalink

Another good 3 ingredient concoction is Baron Samedi with cola and pineapple. I like fresh pineapple chunks but wedges or juice would work too.

rummy_dearest
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-06 11:38 pm   Permalink

Hello!

This is my first post, although I've been lurking here for about a year and a half. Thanks to everyone for all your amazing tips and inspiration.

For a simple drink, have you ever tried a knickerbocker? It's not pure tiki, but I've seen it mentioned as a tiki ancestor (seems right to me) and it is delicious and easy.

3/4 oz. lime juice
2 oz. rum (basically any rum works, I like appleton extra 12 year)
1 1/2 oz. chambord
1/2 oz. curacao

Shake with crushed ice and pour unstrained into glass. Easy, refreshing and strong. One of my favorites.

View Profile of rummy_dearest Send a personal message to rummy_dearest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-06 11:49 pm   Permalink

R D, The Knickerbocker sounds good. I luv tiki drinks and I luv vintage drinks so this has gotta be a winner. What kind of glass is appropriate? Garnish? Can you send one over?
Mahalo for the recipe.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation