FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events OHANA: Luau by the Sea 2016 tix on sale now!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
OHANA: Luau by the Sea 2016 tix on sale now!
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

OHANA: Luau by the Sea returns to Fort Lauderdale September 30-October 2, 2016. All the fun of OHANA... plus The Mai-Kai... and you are cordially invited!

The fun starts Thursday, September 29th, with Ohana Vice, a throwback 80s kick-off party.

Then the main event begins Friday, September 30, with an afternoon of activities followed by the OHANA luau. Your luau dinner is included in your ticket price.

On Saturday, October 1 enjoy the OHANA marketplace, a charity silent auction, more entertainment and then an evening at The Mai-Kai starting with a special happy hour for our ohana from 5 - 7 pm in both the Molokai Lounge and on the Lanai.

Tickets are on sale now at
http://www.luaubythesea.com/. A single $95 ticket price covers the whole weekend except for the Thursday night kick-off party which is a separate $10 ticket.

More information on schedule, entertainment, tickets, and hotel rooms is online at:
http://www.luaubythesea.com/
https://www.facebook.com/OhanaSea
https://twitter.com/luaubythesea

OHANA: Luau by the Sea and OHANA: Luau at the Lake are organized by the Fraternal Order of Moai Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. A majority of proceeds from these events are donated to the Easter Island Foundation to support scholarships for students from Rapa Nui (Easter Island).

Mahalo, and we hope to see you in Fort Lauderdale this Fall.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRenee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-26 3:21 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to it.

View Profile of TikiRenee Send a personal message to TikiRenee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Pat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-12 06:53 am   Permalink

Just got tickets. Can't wait. Hukilau high beginning to fade out.

View Profile of Uncle Pat Send a personal message to Uncle Pat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-22 6:56 pm   Permalink

Tickets are still on sale and will be until September 21. We have to cut off ticket sales two weeks before the event so we know how many pigs we need for dinner on Friday at the Ohana Luau.

And while you are now imagining yummy roast pig let me steer your imagination a bit away from the dinner table....

Ohana has a a few educational opportunities to offer this year starting with the legendary Medusirena the Fire Eating Mermaid sharing with you the story of the World-Famous Planeboat! Hear the interesting story of how Mr Hughes' (yes, that Howard Hughes, the guy with the airplanes and the flying and stuff) personal flying office came to be floating in the waterways in and around south Florida.

The beautiful and talented Ayme Harrison is going to teach you all about cocktail bitters, specifically how you can make them yourself. And if you don't recognize her name, Ayme is the driving force behind Kreepy Tiki, recently voted as one of the 22 best Tiki Bars in America by Conde Nast Traveler.

Polynesian Gods, Barrels of Rum, Rogues, Scoundrels and Geniuses.... Writer and host Paul Senft will take you through a discussion about the history of rum and its part in the evolution of the Tiki movement and the people behind it.

All of that and more is included in your ticket price. $95 per person and includes the full Luau dinner on Friday night! And now we're back to the imagining of the yummy pig.

Details, schedules, and new information as it comes available on the website:
www.luaubythesea.com

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-23 06:01 am   Permalink

My book will be arriving in the gift shop just before Luau. I'm planning on signing some or all of them while I am there for the release event. Depending on timing, there should be signed copies for Luau guests!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-25 10:28 am   Permalink

TikiCentralites - WillCarve and I will vending on Saturday. Stop by and say hello!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-27 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-25 10:28, AlohaStation wrote:
TikiCentralites - WillCarve and I will vending on Saturday. Stop by and say hello!

Will Carve and AlohaStation will not be the only talented artists in the Ohana Marketplace! And if any of you other creative types who make or sell Tiki things are interested there are still a few spaces available for you!

Check out the website to see who's vending and scroll down to the bottom to become a vendor yourself.

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohanabtsea/vendors.html

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-27 12:28 pm   Permalink

And I forget to include.....

The event is less than five weeks away! And tickets are only on sale until September 23, which is only three weeks away!

Get your tickets here:
http://bit.ly/2btaIbV

Ohana Vice kick-off party on Thursday, Sept 29 - $10
Pusser's Rum is going to have prizes for the best Ohana Vice outfit so get out your 80's Best!

Ohana, Luau by the Sea on Friday and Saturday, Sept 30 and October 1 - $95
Seminars, Rumporium, and the Ohana Luau Dinner (it's a full dinner and going to be really yummy!) on Friday and the Ohana Marketplace on Saturday.

And, of course, the Mai Kai on Saturday Night. You don't need a ticket for the Mai Kai but you do need to make reservations directly with them. Phone 954-563-3272 and tell them you want to join Ohana for dinner on Saturday, October 1. It's the first dinner seating.

And if you have any energy left there is a 'Ohana is not quite over party' at the Kreepy Tiki on Sunday, October 2 starting at Noon.

Get your tickets here: http://bit.ly/2btaIbV

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-31 05:52 am   Permalink

Aloha Swanky!!!

While its great that your book will be in stock, I'm a bit puzzled by your promoting it on this thread. You haven't exactly been supportive of the FOM or FOM events in the past, but perhaps this is a burying of the hatchet and new leaves are being turned!

Or perhaps you just have a book to sell... but I'm hoping its the former!

As you probably know, OHANA: Luau By The Sea is a charity event, raising money for underpriveledged kids on Pacific Islands. We had five scholarships last year due to the generosity of our sponsors, donors, and attendees! Having fun, and doing some good in the world. Its a great thing.

And its along those lines that I'm posting on here today.

Perhaps you'd be willing to donate the profits from any books sold during OHANA to the Easter Island Foundation? We'll help you move product, and the EIF gets some cash to help the kids. That's a win-win! Whaddaya say? Can we count on you to help out?

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-31 06:24 am   Permalink

"raising money for underpriveledged kids on Pacific Islands. We had five scholarships last year due to the generosity of our sponsors, donors, and attendees!"

He got ya there Swanky,
But if Swanky DID do this would the amount of the donation go up or would the donation amount stay the same or even be LESS.

Don't go all bitch cakes on me it's a valid question as in the last few years the FOM has ADDED more events and one would think made more money but the donation amount was the same last time I looked.

If I am wrong let me know of this fact.

The reason I point this out is I for one am tired of the whole "it's for charity" scam going on in the world today, can't even go to the store without getting hit up.
Does the store get a tax break for that money they raise I wonder.

In the past some events have said "all proceeds go to Charity" well this statement was placed right after the Charity auction line in the event description so that referred to the auction only but looked like it was a blanket statement for the whole event.

Can you tell us how much the FOM donated to money for underprivileged kids on Pacific Islands in the years 2013, 2014 and 2015 year by year?
"As you probably know, OHANA: Luau By The Sea is a charity event"

In short are you giving a larger amount to charity, all charity you give to compared to the amount you take in?

So if the entity collecting money for "charity" makes more than the event gives to "charity" is it a charity event or part fund drive for your group?

The FOM has helped some valid Charities, BUT then the FOM needs to do this so they can be tax exempt, Be on Wikipedia and other helpful things.

HEY even Al Capone gave to charities.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-31 06:51 am   Permalink

I used to do a chili contest for the Kidney foundation, I wanted to be in a fun event I'm not Mother Teresa.
We did raise more money than anybody else every year, you got a cool trophy.
AND we LOST money! It cost us LOTS of our own money.
BUT when I asked the girls running it if they made a lot of money from the event they said "Oh we don't make ANY money from our events other than the black tie event the rest of the events just pay the bills"
As in their salary!
They were nice girls but never at the office and seemed to have a great gig.

Fun Charity facts:

Checkout charity, as it's sometimes called, has become big business for nonprofits and retailers. Charities love it because it raises money from the masses at little cost. Companies love it because it makes them look caring and generous, even if it comes on the backs of customers.

Earlier this year, Cause Marketing Forum, which helps charities and companies on fundraising partnerships, analyzed the 63 checkout campaigns nationwide that earned at least $1 million in 2012. Combined, they raised $358.4 million more than a dollar for every American.

Americans gave more than $316 billion to charity last year, according to Indiana University's Giving USA 2013 report. The majority came from individuals; just 6 percent came from corporations.

Stores generally don't take a cut of checkout campaigns or charge a fee to the charity. However, in some cases, charities might pay a retailer a monthly fee to put a collection box at the register to give stores incentive to keep better track of the money, Borochoff said.

First Comment from Dan:

I was hoping you'd bring this up, Henry. It's become rampant. Since I do real volunteer charity work, I can assure you that corporate "charity" is a racket. As best 30 cents of your dollar converts to actually charity. After the cream is skimmed off by a handful of 'executive officers', lots actually goes into corporate charity pools. This is how some of the money a shopper thinks is going to breast cancer can be diverted to Planned Parenthood, since according to their definition of 'women's health', breast cancer and abortion go under the same umbrella.

Greg said (October 9, 2013):

Just to rub salt in the wound ... the company collecting our money then passes whatever amount collected to the charity and then gets a tax receipt for donating our money.

Ain't that a kick in the head.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-31 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-31 05:52, Bargoyle wrote:
Aloha Swanky!!!

While its great that your book will be in stock, I'm a bit puzzled by your promoting it on this thread. You haven't exactly been supportive of the FOM or FOM events in the past, but perhaps this is a burying of the hatchet and new leaves are being turned!

Or perhaps you just have a book to sell... but I'm hoping its the former!

As you probably know, OHANA: Luau By The Sea is a charity event, raising money for underpriveledged kids on Pacific Islands. We had five scholarships last year due to the generosity of our sponsors, donors, and attendees! Having fun, and doing some good in the world. Its a great thing.

And its along those lines that I'm posting on here today.

Perhaps you'd be willing to donate the profits from any books sold during OHANA to the Easter Island Foundation? We'll help you move product, and the EIF gets some cash to help the kids. That's a win-win! Whaddaya say? Can we count on you to help out?

I have contributed to your Lake George charity raffle recently, and worked at many of the early events when I was a FOM member.

The books in the gift shop make money for the Mai-Kai. I'll likely sign some or all of those books when I am there in 3 weeks and your guests will have the opportunity to support the Mai-Kai and get a signed copy.

We all support and spotlight the Mai-Kai. That's why we have these events in Fort Lauderdale! Lots of people would prefer to buy the book at the Mai-Kai knowing their money goes directly to support that institution. It might be possible to have books I sign set aside for your guests. I can find out when I am there.

As for my profit from the books, that's going to happen somewhere down the line if we manage to sell tens of thousands of books, if ever. I spent the last few years researching, traveling and working on the book project out of the love of the Mai-Kai and the great people who shared their lives with me and whose stories are in the book. At this point I am hoping to make enough to get a new roof on our house!

If the FOM would like to buy a bunch of books to sell to your guests to raise money for your charity, I could sign them when I am there in September. All that profit could go to your charity funds. I can put you in contact with the publisher for that.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the boo
k

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2016-08-31 09:56 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-31 10:17 am   Permalink

Swanky,

Understood.

Thanks for the reply.

Skippy,

Our books are public record. I invite you to look at them.

Before I joined the FOM, I ran events, and took a loss on each and every one. Part of that was that I didnt want to make any money (and have to report it as personal income) and part was that I like to price things at a fair value... the kind of money I would be willing to spend to go to an event.

When I joined the FOM and started Ohana, I kept the same logic.

Dude, we have 6 bands, a pig roast, tent rental, performers fees, hotel function fees, etc etc... and we charge under a hundred bucks!

Who does that?

We do.

The Ohana ticket price barely covers expense. Some years it doesnt. But even if we lose money on the event, 100% of the proceeds from the silent auction go right to charity. They aren't used to cover any short-falls. Those go right to the kids.

In addition, any profits made on the event ADD to that donation.

Let me also add that there are NO salaried positions in the FOM or its 501c3.

So no, we aren't paying ourselves huge salaries. Its ALL volunteer work. All to do something good and positive and FUN. I can see how thats tough to wrap one's head around in this day and age (I know, I'm a cynic just like you), but its true.

The scholarships go to the kids with no "handling fees" or surcharges or whatever other shenanigans you think might happen.

So, I hate to burst your bubble, but apart from a lot of fun, and a bunch of money to help kids on islands, there isnt anything else going on.

All that being said, Skip, if you'd like to donate anything to the Silent Auction, rest assured that whatever number it sells for will go directly to a scholarship... and YOU get the tax writeoff. Not us.

I know you've got some great stuff in your collection. If anything has outstayed its welcome (beside us evil FOM people, I mean) we'd gladly accept it and do some good in the world with it.

Thanks for the opportunity to clear up any misconceptions anyone might have.

See ya by the Sea!!

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2016-08-31 10:19 ]

damn typos

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2016-08-31 10:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2016-08-31 10:26 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-31 11:26 am   Permalink

Ha! this is a good come back.
"If anything has outstayed its welcome (beside us evil FOM people, I mean)"
I have in the past donated to a FOM auction.

Well I remember the free and easy ways of the old FOM maybe.
Hey it's cash, and cash has a way of falling through the cracks.

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-31 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-31 06:24, tikiskip wrote:
"raising money for underpriveledged kids on Pacific Islands. We had five scholarships last year due to the generosity of our sponsors, donors, and attendees!"

I have to confess.... It's not kids that are benefiting from our charity work. They are young adults, college age kids. "It's for the college kids" just isn't as entertaining to say.

Here are the beneficiaries of last year's FOM charity work, and this is only from FOM National... The local Chapters did lots of charity work as well. I know the South Florida locals do Tiki Bingo at the Mai Kai monthly and raise money for two local charities while having fun at the same time.

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2016/05/02/f-o-m-2016-scholarships

Getting back on topic....

Tickets are on sale now!

http://bit.ly/2btaIbV

$10 for the Ohana Vice kickoff party.

$95 for the Ohana Luau by the Sea Friday and Saturday festivities.

Best deal you're going to get at a South Florida Tiki Event!

Did I mention that the Luau includes dinner?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation