FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Restoring a Foam Tiki - USC. Am I Doing This Right?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Restoring a Foam Tiki - USC. Am I Doing This Right?
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-09 4:19 pm   Permalink

This guy has the expression I would expect to see if this guy should see me at one of those events you talked about.

And the guy on top looks to be tied in and ready to spank.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RocksOutpost
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-13 12:03 pm   Permalink

Just scored one of these.. Does anyone know anything about them?
Looks Awesome in person

View Profile of RocksOutpost Send a personal message to RocksOutpost      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-14 10:30 am   Permalink

Nicely done!
I actually don't know too much yet, but I plan on learning. I know Universal Statuary did a lot of different things during that time period, like those portraits of conquistadors against a rough wood back, (like a conquistador trophy mount). I know I saw a picture from a USC catalog once with our tiki featured but I can't remember where, it was either on TC here or in one of the Books of Tiki. I plan on investigating further once our house move mess is over.
Searches on TC so far for me bring up a thread on an African inspired head lamp and some threads with missing pictures. Maybe we should devote this thread to all the info we can find on our little "Master Blaster" of a tiki friend.

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-14 10:40 am   Permalink

I'm looking closely at your picture here and I have to ask, is there a "varnish " type finish on yours? Mine sat outside in a hot tub area for 30+ years and I'm wondering if mine had a similar look once upon a time...
Hmmmm, interesting...

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-14 11:36 am   Permalink

Quick links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Statuary_Corp.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/A-SHORT-GUIDE-TO-THE-UNIVERSAL-STATUARY-CORPORATION-/10000000002845077/g.html

Previous TC posting:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23983&forum=5

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1070&forum=5

RocksOutpost
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-14 11:44 am   Permalink

Thanks for the reply! Not sure on the finish? It looks very old in person...
No cool story to go with mine, like yours.... I bought it from a picker who had it on
CL... Sure hope to find out some history on these..

View Profile of RocksOutpost Send a personal message to RocksOutpost      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-20 4:29 pm   Permalink

Okay, House Move - Check.
Halloween - Check
Holiday Madness - Check
Getting back to work on this - Ehhhhh not yet, but he's safely in the bedroom since the move

But just to show I haven't been completely lazy, I noticed this piece in our local watering hole, and while not Tiki, it was made out of the same foam stuff so I thought I'd check them out.

It's from a company called Vanguard Studios Inc which from what I've been able to find out was an art factory in the 60's up through the 90's that created a lot of the mid century modern "sofa art" that hung in many homes and offices during the time period. Here's the most comprehensive article I can find on them

http://artillerymag.com/the-legend-of-lee-reynolds/

I'll be back to my swinging tiki dude as soon as I'm able to carve out a workspace in my overfilled garage

TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-07 1:40 pm   Permalink

Okay, no new news on the restoration, but I found a nautical Universal Statuary piece recently at a little thrift store:

And someone named stevekh found a concrete version of the tiki that started this thread sunbather in Oklahoma, I'm going to ask and see if he will post a picture of it on this thread. Stay tuned!

stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-09 1:37 pm   Permalink

here's the statue i bought at a statuary in Skiatook, OK - front and back - no maker mark on it at all

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-09 3:55 pm   Permalink

I just noticed this guy is sitting on a stool. Don't think I have ever seen a tiki sitting like that.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-10 01:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-09 15:55, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I just noticed this guy is sitting on a stool. Don't think I have ever seen a tiki sitting like that.

I haven't either, but I'd be tired too if I carried a little dude on my head all day!

TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-10 01:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-09 13:37, stevekh wrote:
here's the statue i bought at a statuary in Skiatook, OK - front and back - no maker mark on it at all

Hey Thanks!
Now it begs the question, did this person get an original mold or cast this off of an existing piece? We may never know...

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-10 06:33 am   Permalink

To me,
It looks like a lot less detail
on the cement guy.
Probably cast from a mold made from the one
we've been looking at.
You need to put steel in a cement castings
& those legs look thin.
I'm sure he needed more support
to not break at the knees.
Looks like a good job to me.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-10 09:44 am   Permalink

i would say definitely made from a cast of the original - some of the deep cut lines (thigh, mouth, arm, eye and chest ) are in same location - too close to original to be coincidence - don't know how long they've made this one, but they've been in business over 50 years i think, and they've made tikis for a while

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-11 05:27 am   Permalink

I just noticed the original one is on a stool too.
His legs were too thin to hold him up too.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation